Photo

Race and Award Winning Chump Car for Sale!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hi Folks,

A rare opportunity to own what is a truly one of a kind Chump Car is upon you. Originally built by Black Iron racing in California and brought to Minnesota and further developed by North Loop Motorsport, our 1994 BMW 540 is hard to describe...but I'll try:

http://www.northloop...es/P1030424.jpg

The Good: It is crazy fast, can out break ANY car we have ever raced against by an insane margin, is super easy to drive, has a a very well built cage and is uhhh, easy to recognize.

This car held the fastest lap at Iowa Speedway for most of the race and was only beat out by less than half a second later in the race. That makes it an ideal candidate for someone looking to run the Chumpionship. It won the BIR 7 hour race, and the workers favorite award (in EC class) in June, and won both a Lemons race and a Chump race with its former owners.

The Bad: It is an automatic, 275 wide tires are expensive, It is kind of difficult to get in and out of. Right now it does not have a seat but we have seats and hardware available so we can figure something out... It had to run in EC due to lack of body work so you will need to put some body panels back on it if you want to run non-EC. We have a line on a $500 car that has a solid body and a Manual trans so we can hook you up with that if you want. With a Manual trans this car will be unstoppable...

The Ugly: Yes, it has the Ugly in abundance.

We are selling it because we are standardizing our arrive and drive program on E30s for the sake of simplicity. We will probably regret it...

$500 for the car, $1000 for the safety gear and another $500 for the 6 M Coupe wheels, which are frankly worth more than the car if we sold them separately.

Send an email to northloopmotorsport@me.com if you are interested. Quickly, we need to build another E30...

#2 red0

red0

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

I battled this at BIR for several laps, and it is a VERY sweet car. This car has a ton of power, looked composed in the turns, the brakes seemed good....and it sounds great too!

In the right hands this car could set the fast time or win at just about every crapcan event I have been to.

#3 krek

krek

Flying The ChumpCar Flag

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationSHO Me State

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

Were you able to get an AIV at or below $500 for a 1994 BMW 540?

I agree, this car looks like stupid fun on the track and I'm very interested if the AIV is Chump friendly.

#4 SoFlachump

SoFlachump

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

I agree, this car looks like stupid fun on the track and I'm very interested if the AIV is Chump friendly.

If so can you share some of the aiv documents with me..

#5 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Yes, we have an AIV from Road America and Iowa where there were no issues or penalty laps. The body work that is necessary is the only thing the Chump officials have had an issue with and to their credit they have given us the opportunity to put it right and guidance in terms of what it needs, ( a hood, doors and "maybe" rear quarter panels).

We figure it needs about 20-40 man hours of work to get legal and prep for the next race, which considering we have to prep three other cars for Iowa, we just don't have the bandwidth to do...

Only stipulation is that if you keep one of our cars off the podium with this car in Iowa ya gotta buy us a case of (good) beer.

Tom

#6 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Our AIV book is in the trailer but I will grab it tonight or tomorrow and send you some of what we had.

Thanks,

Tom

#7 krek

krek

Flying The ChumpCar Flag

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationSHO Me State

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

That makes it an ideal candidate for someone looking to run the Chumpionship.

It's not Chumpionship legal as we all have to enter the cars we were invited with.

That said, I'm going to talk to the team, this could be a great project for 2012.

#8 Bruce

Bruce

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationJust Moved! Manhattan, Kansas

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

It's not Chumpionship legal as we all have to enter the cars we were invited with.

That said, I'm going to talk to the team, this could be a great project for 2012.

(ominous music)
And with that, Krek began his move to the Dark Side...

#9 red0

red0

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Let me know if the MAXI-SHO comes up for sale. I could use an extra 90hp!

#10 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Since the Chumpionship has been opened up to anyone I think it's safe to assume you could run a different car as well. I could check to confirm if you like?

Thanks,

Tom

#11 krek

krek

Flying The ChumpCar Flag

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationSHO Me State

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

I emailed John, and he confirmed, the teams competing for the Chumpionship must do so in the car that podiumed and maintain a majority of their existing drivers.

That said, there is nothing to stop a team from buying this car and entering it in the race.

Edited by krek, 25 July 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#12 Vince B -BlackIronRacing

Vince B -BlackIronRacing

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

As the original builder of this car - I can tell you that it was devastating in the three 24Hrs/Chump events we ran a few years ago. The combination of screaming 4 liter german V8, 4000 lb sized brake disks (with racing pads) on a 2800 lb car and 9-inch wide wheels with 275s...just unstoppable!!

Glad to see Tom had fun with it and good luck to the next group who buys this car...

In fact.. I sort of want to buy it back...

#13 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

I emailed John, and he confirmed, the teams competing for the Chumpionship must do so in the car that podiumed and maintain a majority of their existing drivers.

That said, there is nothing to stop a team from buying this car and entering it in the race.

Hmmm, I see what you mean but that also implies that a team entering the race with a car/team that is not a nominee or previous winner can't win the event? That seems odd...

Tom

#14 krek

krek

Flying The ChumpCar Flag

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationSHO Me State

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hmmm, I see what you mean but that also implies that a team entering the race with a car/team that is not a nominee or previous winner can't win the event? That seems odd...

It's not odd at all... the invited teams are competing for the Chumpionship... the rest of the field is enjoying the pomp and circumstance of the only National Chumpionship ever. B)

#15 ChumpCar

ChumpCar

Series Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,194,135 posts
  • LocationMorgan Hill, CA -- U.S. of A.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

The invitation is extended to the car and the team... not just the car. To compete for the Chumpionship (podium and awards), the car must be driven by at least 2 of the original, qualifying team members. This is to prevent a team bringing in 4 ringers just for the win.

#16 Tom Moran

Tom Moran

Joe Average Chump

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Ok so we Chumpionshipped it (where it ran top 5 in terms of lap times before the electrical issues got us) and now it is for sale again, this time with doors and a hood as well as (another) new alternator, a new power steering pump and a new electrical gremlin, (likely a ground fault) that is preventing it from starting. I now have 4, that's right 4! chump cars and I want to sell this one for much less than what we have into it or what you could build it for. Preferably to someone outside the central region so we don't have to race against it.

We will consider trades for E30 parts, other safety gear and offers from your Nigerian uncle that involve multiple money transfers between dodgy bank accounts...

Comes with pretty much new brakes and tires, (6 - 9" wide M coupe wheels with four slightly used and two brand new 275 Nittos, slotted frozen rotors and PF-01 pads) which all together cost more than the asking price, as well as a manual trans to covert it from the current slushbox and a lot of spares and it is ready to race once you get it started.

$500 for the car :) $2000 for the safety gear already installed (sans seat and harnesses) and the large pile of crap that goes with it.

#17 AGloukhoff

AGloukhoff

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

If you could get it to Philly, we have a striped work in progress E30 with a cage that's not in yet. Maybe interested in trading. Oh and everything on our E30 leaks. Engine, trans, diff, power steering...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users