16 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter

Scooter

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Can the Battery be relocated to either inside the car or trunk and what rules apply to the installation?

If we put an exhaust pipe with larger diameter than OEM pipe is there a penalty?

Do I have to remove the rear window or just the side windows?

I appreciate the feedback, I have read the rules but this is my first car as owner.

#2 Team Infiniti

Team Infiniti

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationWPB

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Are you looking to run a E36 BMW or any car using the $500 car list with no AIV documentation? NO changes from stock period.
Assuming you are preparing AIV paperwork the answer is open, penalty free.

You must remove the rear window, no glass except the front windshield, lexan is allowed as a substitute tho.

#3 TBone

TBone

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

Can the Battery be relocated to either inside the car or trunk and what rules apply to the installation?

If we put an exhaust pipe with larger diameter than OEM pipe is there a penalty?

Do I have to remove the rear window or just the side windows?

I appreciate the feedback, I have read the rules but this is my first car as owner.

you doing AIV, E36, or liste $500 car? I'll assume AIV:

1. Yes, Put it in a battery box, tie it down well, protect the cables, etc. Might want to contact your regional tech guy about the specific box. Will be a cost of materials hit to your TCV, I think.

2. See rule 4.7.4

3. See rule 10.1

#4 Scooter

Scooter

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Thanks, Guess I missed a couple of things, next time the rule read is with a highlighter as suggested.
Next stupid question - Who is the regional tech guy for Texas?

#5 Team Infiniti

Team Infiniti

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationWPB

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Joey, a very fair and smart guy ;)

#6 Tubby

Tubby

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 4,179 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, Guess I missed a couple of things, next time the rule read is with a highlighter as suggested.

Mike Morrison (mikem@chumpcar.com) does the Central Region tech for Joey.

#7 TBone

TBone

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

No problem. And sometimes, what you're looking for is not where you think it should be.

#8 mender

mender

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 3,368 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

1. Yes, Put it in a battery box, tie it down well, protect the cables, etc. Might want to contact your regional tech guy about the specific box. Will be a cost of materials hit to your TCV, I think.

See 3.13 under Safety for required safety equipment, then 4.7.1 if you want a second confirmation of exemption.

#9 CutlassRacer

CutlassRacer

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I mounted our battery to the main hoop in our car. Back when I worked tech for a drag racing series, poor battery hold downs were the biggest issue that I found with cars. In my opinion, stock battery mounts suck and a proper, very robust battery mount should be no hit to the TCV of a car. Its a safety thing, just imagine if that 30 pound battery comes loose in an impact.

#10 Craig

Craig

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I don't think it has to be in a box if it's a sealed type battery. The issue is to make sure battery acid is well-contained, either by a box or by the design of the battery itself. Make sure any positive post is covered per the rules.

#11 Eman911

Eman911

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Belt and suspenders. Ours is retained primarily by a stout metal bracket and enclosed in a plastic case which is also tied to the car with 1" tubular nylon webbing strap. I feel that an enclosed case is a must. Even sealed batteries are vented and a vent will leak if the car is at an abnormal attitude (ie upside down) or under high G loads. If the relocation involves a longer cable you will need to go with a heavier gauge to lessen the parasitic loss.

#12 parid

parid

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

It's like $20 for a box. It's safety, its easy, why not run one? You can't just strap the box down. Think of the box as a fluid barrier. You need to get your straps and structure directly to the battery.

#13 Scooter

Scooter

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I appreciate everyones feedback, i think the only thing that was not addressed was is it better to put it in the passenger compartment or in the trunk?

#14 TBone

TBone

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I appreciate everyones feedback, i think the only thing that was not addressed was is it better to put it in the passenger compartment or in the trunk?

Better as in safer, or more advantageous from wejght distribution? If the first, I doubt it makes much difference if it's installed correctly. Can't help with the wright distribution. That is a case by case thing.

#15 CutlassRacer

CutlassRacer

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

If the battery in stock form was between the axle centerlines, there will not be a large change in the weight percentages by moving it to inside of the passenger compartment. If it was ahead of the front axle, and you move it to behind the rear axle, you can make a pretty significant change in the numbers.

#16 koko

koko

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Locationcentral NY

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

This depends on what car you're running, and what you're trying to do with your weight distribution. Most front engined cars can benefit from weight shifted to the rear to even out weight distribution. You're obviously not running a BMW (unless it's a convertible) or a Miata, because their batteries are already in the trunk.

I would put it in the trunk simply for driver safety. Much better to have a solid bulkhead between the driver and a potential missile full of acid in the event of a wreck.

#17 Scooter

Scooter

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

I am the same guy that was asking the value of the Kia Sephia. So this is a front wheel drive car and you have convinced me to put the battery in the trunck in a proper container with proper longer cables. I will check with Mike Morrison on the specifics when i get to that point. Thanks again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users