New year, new people in charge.

#22 dogtired

dogtired

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 4,553 posts
  • LocationAngier, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Whats the usual turnaround on these "notes"? I sent an email to Phil Thursday morning, and then sent one to Mike C and easttech@chumpcar.com once I found out they existed on Monday, but Mike replied back and said Phil would be the one to respond to the tech questions. I get that 5 days isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things, but we're waiting on the answers to determine exactly the route we're going for the build, so we're just sitting on our hands for now. Any idea how long it usually takes to get a response? Also, why do they have an "easttech" email address if I'm supposed to send it to the national tech person anyway? That's weird.

What is your worse case scenario? Run it in EC if you misjudged the premise? I applaud your effort but I'm not sure you understand who and what will be racing next to you.

Nostalgia? Like Chaparral type engineering? There are folks here that will punt you just the same....

#23 devlbasher

devlbasher

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Tubby.

And worst case would be EC, but if we could avoid that by having some questions cleared up ahead of time, why wouldn't we?  We have a couple of ways to approach the project, and having answers to the questions I sent to Phil would dictate to some degree how we proceed.  We'd still run in EC if we had to, but it seems silly to make no effort to avoid it.

#24 okkustom

okkustom

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationBracey Va

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Phil is the national tech director and he lives in the east , with all the other real racers

#25 dogtired

dogtired

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 4,553 posts
  • LocationAngier, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Tubby.

And worst case would be EC, but if we could avoid that by having some questions cleared up ahead of time, why wouldn't we? We have a couple of ways to approach the project, and having answers to the questions I sent to Phil would dictate to some degree how we proceed. We'd still run in EC if we had to, but it seems silly to make no effort to avoid it.

You seem to be moderately well adjusted so I feel like this question won't offend you much.... how well do you figure your Franken-berry car will finish in its first foray?

#26 devlbasher

devlbasher

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Okkustom, thank you...that makes sense.

dogtired, not offended at all. I'm torn on this. I'm definitely an optimist, but I'm at least aware of it, so I know it may not work out as well as we hope. This is largely a two man venture...a friend and I are doing most of the work on the car, and will obviously have other drivers, but I think the car we are trying to build can be competitive depending on some of the answers I get from Phil. We've read the "newbie" writeups and all that, will be focusing on bulletproofing the car as much as we can. We assume that we would need more luck than the average team to have a good showing, but people do get lucky sometimes. I try to be thorough, which is the reason for the questions...but it carries over into the car also. We're going to go to the VIR race in March to get a better idea of what to expect...who knows, it may temper my expectations some.

Looking forward to it though :)

#27 dogtired

dogtired

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 4,553 posts
  • LocationAngier, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

I've raced LeMons for about six years now and I still don't get this type of "build weird shetz" mentality that prevails there. I don't think you are going to encounter quite that level of oddity here. VIR-S is a forgiving track for the most part but if you falter you will drop back fast. Best of luck on the Bizarro World build. ;)

#28 mender

mender

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

And if you want a mid-engine car for cheap:
http://forum.chumpca...ro-chumped-out/

#29 3G Performance

3G Performance

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationNorthWest

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

. We're going to go to the VIR race in March to get a better idea of what to expect..

You could earn some credit toward your entry by working the race.

http://forum.chumpca...e/?hl=volunteer

#30 devlbasher

devlbasher

Master Chump!

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

I've raced LeMons for about six years now and I still don't get this type of "build weird shetz" mentality that prevails there. I don't think you are going to encounter quite that level of oddity here. VIR-S is a forgiving track for the most part but if you falter you will drop back fast. Best of luck on the Bizarro World build. ;)

It's a car my buddy has wanted to build for a while, and we thought it would be a good fit for the series. Not just building it weird for kicks...I don't understand that mentality either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users