bbqman

AISA Academy at Calabogie

22 posts in this topic

AISA academy will be holding its 2 day track school once again- April29/30may1st 2016 at Calabogie.

For those new to Chumpcar or have never heard of this school- well lets say that its probably the best way to learn this track and gain some very valuable race craft.

Many successful teams/drivers have passed through this school.

Call me for info if you have questions.

BTW, AISA academy provided 4 spots, in conjunction with Perry Performance, as giveaways for the North region Chumpionship.

Congrats the the Flyin A Holes for earning the 4 spots- I am sure this team will be a contender in 2015.

Edited by bbqman
1 person likes this

Carl: Thanks again for the four spots in your race school! It came as a huge (and definitely needed) bonus for us. What Carl failed to mention above is that was the prize for the "Spin Cycle Award". I think we clinched it when one of our drivers spun in PIT OUT.

The Flying A-Holes a contended in 2015? Perhaps, if we learn our race lessons well!

1 person likes this

well I didn't want to mention because of the spin cycle......lol

Looking forward to seeing you guys

See you in less than a week.  Is our first meeting Friday night at the ballet.  Lol 

registration for the 2016 academy opens January 9th.

The cost for CMp is still $1000, the dates for 2016 are April29/30, may 1st.

Best way to refine your driving skills and improve race craft.

registration is now open for both schools in 2016.

While you do not need a race school to race in CC, i have found that those who take our schools usually drive quite well and learn plenty of race craft.

Just ask those who have done so in the past.... Mopar 4 Life comes to mind......

I strongly urge any team in the Canadian Chumpcar region to take a good look into attending this school. 

The reality for most Chumpcar teams is that you have a team of 3-5 individuals with varying experience and skill levels. That was the case for my team. The spread in lap times was large at times. After attending the school the spread is almost non-existent. Everyone is on the same page and are able to communicate on track conditions much more easily to each other. I know it's easy to bolt on parts to go faster. But the amount our overall lap times have dropped after attending in comparison to part values would put the neon well into EC.

I guess that we were due to bump this post.

Space still available for both schools in 2017.

Probably the best modification you can do to your team to improve finishing results in 2017.

The school offered as door prizes at the Championship, 4 entries to CMP event and Wheelhouse Racing won this.  This team will not be a backmarker in 2017- do you want to be that team?

ASE April 22/23

CMP May 5/6/7

1 person likes this

Wait a minute... Should I resent this post?!! Hahaha. 

Seriously though, we are REALLY excited to get out there and up our game for this year and can't wait to take this course. We are even bringing two extra drivers so even our backup drivers will be ready to go!

1 person likes this

I wouldn't resent it...Mopar for life team all did the school 5 years ago- look at what it did for them....

Hahaha! I'm just kidding Carl. No resentment here.  Was more laughing that if you read it wrong it almost sounds like "come to the course or else you will be like those Wheelhouse guys"!  We are really grateful for the prize and pumped to get back out on track this year!

1 person likes this

See you there, team Wheelhouse. I'm looking forward to this as I've identified a lot of problems per say since the last time I took this school. The goal is to make sure I'm no longer the anchor of my team. :P

Bryan- Its always a pleasure to have you at the academy!

Still plenty of space available at both schools.

The AISA school is a fantastic method to fine tune and enhance your skills in track.

Seems just like yesterday I took this school in my trusty super taco. 

1 hour ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

The AISA school is a fantastic method to fine tune and enhance your skills in track.

Seems just like yesterday I took this school in my trusty super taco. 

I don't want to point any fingers BUT the guy in the truck better get his act together, 

The Calabogie date still has room. The advance race course for those Chumps that want to learn race craft is a good school.

Man oh man, what an awesome weekend!  Huge thanks to Carl, Perry Performance and the AISA for putting this on. Besides the fact that it POURED all day on Saturday and, wait for it.... SNOWED all day on Sunday it was some awesome track time.  My street car tires and brakes were happier for the rain though too.

We sent 5 of our 6 team members and all 5 walked away very happy with the school.  It is really laid out well with exercises building on exercises and some really great instructors.

We got basically 7 hours of on track time over the two days along with instruction, so for value for dollar it doesn't get much better than this.  Cant wait to get back out on track and see how we can build on what we learned!

1 person likes this

Great weekend - awesome to see and meet other Chumps. I learned a completely new line (the Bourbonnais line) and it changed how I knew the track. I hope that I can apply that this coming weekend.

Thanks to Carl, Vince, and the AISA staff for another great weekend.  I can't stress enough how well this school is run and how you can learn so much. This should be a prerequisite for any Chump team that wants to get their season off to a good start.

21 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

We sent 5 of our 6 team members and all 5 walked away very happy with the school.  It is really laid out well with exercises building on exercises and some really great instructors.

We got basically 7 hours of on track time over the two days along with instruction, so for value for dollar it doesn't get much better than this.  Cant wait to get back out on track and see how we can build on what we learned!

Did you all share the ChumpCar or separate cars? What was the format of the school (in-class, exercises vs. on-track)?

The format is basically on track for ~30mins at the top of every hour (or bottom depending on your group), with a debriefing after every session which includes what was good or bad in that session. The expectation is also explained for the next session, so you know what will happen and what you can/can't do.  You also have time to debrief individually with your coach as well, after the main debrief. Each session develops to the next, so it's a steady progression of learning throughout the weekend, from simple follow-the-leader to many open passing zones. The key thing is it's not a race, and the expectation is to develop everyone on track to understand the concepts of racing (flags, passing, awareness) and how everyone has to work together (again, passing and awareness). I personally think this was one of the best group of drivers that I worked with in all my times of taking this school.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, miatainium said:

Did you all share the ChumpCar or separate cars? What was the format of the school (in-class, exercises vs. on-track)?

Nope.  All in separate cars using our street cars.  We decided on not taking the Chumper just for ease of logistics.  It was raining all freaking weekend so Im glad we had windows!  Any normal street car would be perfect.  Don't need anything with big hp.  I would have even preferred to have less at times.  My S4 with a big V8 had me relying on the hp as opposed to trying to perfect the exercises.  Hahaha, I started driving it around only in 6th gear when playing around with some of the Miatas!

In class session for novices on Friday night (about 3 hours) going over basics of everything from hand/seat position to flags to weight transfer to racing line.

Then on Saturday and Sunday 30 min sessions with 30 mins off.  7 sessions per day.  They started with some simple lead-follow and passing exercises.  Then ramped up in complexity each successive session.  It was pretty good actually to start and get a feel for the car/track and the speeds ramped up fairly quickly.  Instructor to student ratios of about 1:2, so instructor riding with you about 40-50% of the time. And typically a different instructor each team so you get a wide variety of opinions/tips.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the valuable feedback guys- it was a great school, despite the weather.

Plans are already in place for 2018.