Mopar 4 Life

Future thoughts going forward in the North

137 posts in this topic

So with the 2016 year in the close, I think now is a good time to reflect on some possible ideas, and wants the membership up here in the north will like to implement.

These ideas are my own below:

1. Race dates

I would like to see no more than 3 dates next year. Ideally one date at mosport, calabogie and tremblant if possible.

Too many times this year going to the races especially the calabogie, mosport, calabogie stretch in June/July races felt like work. It was not enjoyable. It was comparable to a F1 schedule. But without the huge crews and umbrella girls. If we have to have 3 races in 6 weeks again at least supply the umbrella girls. Then I would be ok with it.

2. Change to the chumpionship

If we do get down to a 3 race schedule or maybe even 4. I think it might be an idea to go to a points system for a champion. Even throw in a clause that you can throw away your worst finish?Give additional points for FTD? Have a rookie team award?

Make all the races double 7's or 8's or even 8hr on Saturday and 7 hour on Sunday? Points awarded for each individual race.

I think most of the northern membership can probably make 3 races. A possible upside to Wendy and Sal is that it will put the onus on us to attend if we want the big prize. 

3. Joining of chumpdom 

It is my own opinion that we got a pretty raw deal when the states divorced us. Their new website does not even mention Canadian dates. If it wasn't for the fact that if you do a Google search for Chumpcar, and Chumpcar Canada shows up on the 4-5th search result I don't know if anyone would now what we have going on up here.

The northern states only have one race that is well attended which is WGI. Gingerman may be considered northern but it's pretty far west-ish at the same time.

I would like to see both sides come back together a bit. Share sponsors possibly, provide incentives to north US teams to travel. Maybe a visit from Chisek once a year so he can listen to our thoughts and ideas, like John once did? 

It's no mistake a lot of Canadian teams travel. It would be nice if we just got a little bit of love back. 

I get a little jaded when 13-15 Canadian teams invade WGI for a weekend but we recieve less than half of that of US based teams travelling north in a season.

I have more thoughts, but my thumbs are sore. So hopefully this will get something started...

Edited by Mopar 4 Life
11 people like this

I agree with most of what Steve says even if he doesn't understand what annex means (ask the Poles and then the rest of the world about 1939!)

Three races is much more manageable and getting St.Jovite would be a true feather in Chumpcar Canada's hat. Changing the Chumpionship format to anything other that how it's been these last to years is agreeable to me (my suggestion is a two race, total points scenario where each race is timed and scored separately). A reintegration with Chumpcar would also be awesome though I think the teams that have struck Mosport off their bucket list won't ever return.

I know its chump Canada but please no points...

(Can not chance they go infectious and cross border)

Not points for each Canadian race but points for the Chumpionship weekend only to get rid of the ridiculous Parc Ferme (which sounds too pretentious for my liking), the closed pits and no refueling with less than 15 minutes to go. If the race was a straight 16 hours the pits wouldn't close half way through and any work done on the car would be in actual time and not some insane 32 lap penalty like it was at Mosport.

12 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I know its chump Canada but please no points...

(Can not chance they go infectious and cross border)

It is a completely different scenario. 

We we have a dense area of over 60 active chump teams. With a span of about 500-600km between us all. We had 6 races this year that split most of the membership.

The onus should be put back on us to attend.

Your eastern area is obviously a much greater area. And has a large amount of races that most of the membership probably can't all attend. 

I know  points can make people do nutty things, but for us it might be an idea to try it out.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

I agree with most of what Steve says even if he doesn't understand what annex means (ask the Poles and then the rest of the world about 1939!)

Three races is much more manageable and getting St.Jovite would be a true feather in Chumpcar Canada's hat. Changing the Chumpionship format to anything other that how it's been these last to years is agreeable to me (my suggestion is a two race, total points scenario where each race is timed and scored separately). A reintegration with Chumpcar would also be awesome though I think the teams that have struck Mosport off their bucket list won't ever return.

Changed to "divorced"😜

If Tremblant isn't possible, would you trade it for somewhere like St Eustache or Shannonville?

I don't mind the idea of limited races. We had the ability to choose between each of the races we went to, But it could have been the ones we didn't just as easily (we didn't go to all). Just fingers crossed the schedule doesn't line up really poorly with other life and worst case scenario is we can't do any!

Also, I did like the long weekend races to give a bit more time for travel, etc. But in the end it was a pretty tough ask to get by the family (families) to race on all the summer long weekends! So maybe one on a long weekend, but not all. 

Speaking of Watkins, I'm a bit surprised that they get 100 cars there, but more people don't make the extra drive to Mosport. 

11 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

Speaking of Watkins, I'm a bit surprised that they get 100 cars there, but more people don't make the extra drive to Mosport. 

I'm not.

Watkins & the Seneca Lodge is part of US racing lore and an a current NASCAR venue so it would be a bucket list for Americans & Canadians alike.  Canadians don't get freaked out by the US boarder (as much).

Until the sprucing up in the last 10 years or so Mosport is (to 'muricans) an old track in a foreign country with strange laws and strong beer.  In order to go there you have to subject yourself to the man by getting a passport and uploading extra stuff into your GPS, all the while not being to able to defend yourself from the marauding bears that roam the tundra-like infield at night.    OK I'm paraphrasing a bit.....

Edited by mcewena
1 person likes this

I love the idea of St. Jovite / Tremblant as I have never been there and nothing better than learning a track at speed in traffic. :)

Shanonville would be OK
What about iCar?

I agree on the one long weekend but not all comment above as well.

21 minutes ago, shanehutton said:

I love the idea of St. Jovite / Tremblant as I have never been there and nothing better than learning a track at speed in traffic. :)

Shanonville would be OK
What about iCar?

I agree on the one long weekend but not all comment above as well.

The problem with st.eustache and Icar is that we tried to go to those tracks before and the entries just weren't there. 

I personally have no problem going there but other teams did. 

I always enjoyed going to Mosport & (3 rivers).  

Things that hold me back now are;  late fees, non transferable chump bucks, entry fee not returned or credited if last minute problems pop up.

I heard Sal and Wendy may fold up the tent.  What did they say at Mosport?

Agreed with everything Steve said. 3 events is about as much as we are able to do, perhaps could be up for 4.

As much as Shannonville is run down, I love the track and would definitely be up for a race there. Mosport, 'bogie, Shannonville, done.

15 minutes ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

The problem with st.eustache and Icar is that we tried to go to those tracks before and the entries just weren't there. 

I personally have no problem going there but other teams did. 

They aren't as glamorous as the big tracks I guess eh?  We were just in the process of building our car when that ICar race happened, so I cant speak from experience, but didnt the teams that went say it was a blast?

I suspect your team just wants to go because it is so close to Montreal. :D

If it was one of three races in the our region for the year, I would go.  Same with Shannonville as it is so close (could see someone not wanting to go there from somewhere further though).

25 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

I always enjoyed going to Mosport & (3 rivers).  

Things that hold me back now are;  late fees, non transferable chump bucks, entry fee not returned or credited if last minute problems pop up.

Trois Rivieres!  Now there is an idea, the US guys were talking about a street race, but it doesn't look like it will happen.  Hahaha, that would be awesome to run some sort of 2 hour race as a support for the CTCC race there!  Dream big right?!

Though, most of those problems are pretty easily solved.  Did they waive any late fees this year to try and boost entries?  I think they may have.  Im sure there are a few Canadian teams that would trade 1:1 (with an exchange rate of course) for the US races that they plan to go to.  But yea, I can see the issues causing problems for the US guys.  Maybe they could be solved like the US chump has done away with late fees?

Edited by thewheelerZ

Yeah before the divorce if a new market like Quebec or the maritimes had a couple of lean start up years then an existing strong market 1,500 miles away could subsidize it.  Now when it's Wendy/Sal's retirement fund that's subsidizing it that's just not on.

Ahh yes, late fees.

4. Payment System

Myself being an electrical contractor I am used to people paying late. Industry standard in my mind is 30 days. Some companies spell it out directly that they can't cut a check in some cases less than 90 days, lol.

I did an experiment a couple of years back and added a "if paid with 15 business days, deduct 1%" amazingly people paid within 15 for the most part.

There is much angst among chumps that you have to pay for an event before you are done an event that is a week from now, and get tagged with a late fee if you don't.  So why would you risk $1300 with no refund if your car got wadded and you have two weeks to make your car not look like an accordion.

So how about we hit the easy button, and make it a bonus if you pay early. People like bonuses. People don't like fees. Especially if you add late in front of them.

If you miss the early deadline, too bad so sad. The risk is on you now to make sure your car is ready. 

Which in turn would be easier if there were less events.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

Ahh yes, late fees.

So how about we hit the easy button, and make it a bonus if you pay early. People like bonuses. People don't like fees. Especially if you add late in front of them.

There is a danger of pissing off/confusing chumps if chumpUSA/ChumpCanada handle it 2 different ways.

7 minutes ago, mcewena said:

There is a danger of pissing off/confusing chumps if chumpUSA/ChumpCanada handle it 2 different ways.

Well they left us. 

Going with its zero late fees is a bold move. As it may hurt cash flow in the central and west region. 

I agree with early payment discounts rather than late fees.

Also for the US guys complaining about the late fee, your exchange rate completely negates the late fee and makes the entry exactly on par with the US events, and everything else while you're up here is cheaper (Except for gas, but you can bring that with you).

I agree with all that Steve says- mostly because we are team mates and have discussed this all year long.

addressing some comments- 3 rivers will never happen for an endurance series- no interest for the fans and no track time available. Even with 2 weekends back to back- there is simply not enough track time.

Quebec- there HAS to be a race in Quebec next year- cannot ignore the 2nd biggest market in Canada.

Tremblant should have happened this year- I am sure that if they offer a date in 2017- we will take no matter what it conflicts with.

If Tremblant is off the table, St-Eustache is the best other option given availability, proximity and low cost to run an event.

Obviously if Ontario teams want to see higher cars counts in their region, you need the Quebecekers to help- well hat goes both ways.

There are plenty of new teams in Quebec that have cars ready for 2017- and some that have not run, lack of funds/time.

Hopefully Ontario will see the big picture and sign up for Quebec race in 2017

35 minutes ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

Well they left us. 

Going with its zero late fees is a bold move. As it may hurt cash flow in the central and west region. 

Yes but we want them to have regular visitation and inconsistencies hurt that.

Not to derail but I maintain late fees/early bonuses don't serve the stated purpose and you've already implied the same above.   If there are 2 races x-1 days apart (where x is the number of days your particular team needs to recover from a catastrophic failure), you're crazy to register for race 2 until you survive race 1.  If that's the case then since saving $200 vs. losing $1300 on race 2 isn't an incentive for n teams it doesn't give the organizers (US or CDN) any real yardstick as to the grid size for race 2 so provides them no real security.

5 hours ago, mcewena said:

In order to go there you have to subject yourself to the man by getting a passport and uploading extra stuff into your GPS, all the while not being to able to defend yourself from the marauding bears that roam the tundra-like infield at night.    

They may not be in the paddock but they are there!!! Keep a clean campsite.

Speaking of clean campsite. Rumor has it is CTMP is no longer allowing camping from corner 1-4 on the outfield due to campsites being left in filthy condition unless it is a pro race weekend.

I want to support a race in Quebec but it has been proven twice that even the locals don't support the series. For a very small budget team like mine it's difficult to commit to Quebec when Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Gingerman and Pittsburgh are just as close and have three times the entries. I find myself already hoping there will only be one race at Mosport and one race at Calabogie just so I can support the Canadian series. If I have to choose between Watkins Glen and St. Eustache then it'll be the Glen every time. Same will go for Shannonville (no desire to run there at all even though it's close).

Chumpcar Canada really needs to focus on communication over the winter to see what the 50 or so teams up here want and what they are willing to support before they move ahead with their plans. Communication was woeful throughout 2016.

1 person likes this