Mopar 4 Life

Future thoughts going forward in the North

137 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

WGI is always fun......I will be there again this year but not in my car.......

FIFY

2 hours ago, bbqman said:

Tyler- without captain duties, you can go hard at the lodge?

looking forward to it!

Captain duties or not I always go hard at The Lodge! I will respond to your email in the next couple of days.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Captain duties or not I always go hard at The Lodge! I will respond to your email in the next couple of days.

You can always run with my team Tyler. That way you wont be in the way of the mopar drinking cannon but behind it.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

You can always run with my team Tyler. That way you wont be in the way of the mopar drinking cannon but behind it.

If WGI is an option I would take you up on it......

Uhn oh- I see a train wreck in the making.....

1 person likes this

Actually if any US track is open on the @Mopar 4 Life team I would take a look at it......  Just don't plan anything over our Labor Day weekend so you can make the trek down for the wedding.

Damn labor day I am at Mosport for the Silverado race- so unless you are getting married at Mosport.....

BTW did you try the maple whiskey yet?

Late to this discussion but here's my 2 cents worth. For us Castrol isn't an option - our car lives on Vancouver Island (also Rusty Rotors is out there) - just too costly and time consuming to do the tow. Our team is spread out - I live less than two hrs. from Area 27 - am looking forward to that track being a possible venue. Word so far is that decision has not been made to offer it for rental racing. We run 3 or 4 events each year - where we run depends on schedule - ChumpCar US out west has seen declining entries - Lucky Dog has had decent grids and for next season (as Curtwill mentioned) ChumpCar is not offering much of interest. The Pacific/Seattle race in March is a non starter for us - still too early for half our team to make it over the mountain passes. If I remember last year they were down to under 12 cars on the Sunday for this one and cancelled after some serious crashes. Very difficult to get the US teams  to ross the border - they don't like to travel too far and many of them don't have passports. As we all know - it's tough to keep road racing going in Canada - there really has never been a viable amateur series that involves east and west. Reality is that it's likely not going to change.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:23 AM, swrving said:

I spoke with Sal yesterday, he said they'd try to get something tentative out for the dates that are known before Christmas... that said, the are waiting on a date from what I believe to be LCMT, while they may have given out dates to bigger series, they haven't given an exact date to CCC yet.

Hmmm, I wonder what day tomorrow is?

1 person likes this

Hey All...Think about doing something like this in your own area...A great way to promote the series...Cheers

Twenty Questions with Mark Churman

Share this article...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn0Email this to someone

Sue Nielsen

Speaker Reporter

Temiskaming Shores Community Newspaper - The Temiskaming Speaker - Twenty Questions with Mark ChurmanThis week’s Twenty Questions features an interview with Haileybury physician Mark Churman who doubles as a Chumpcar Endurance Racing series driver in his spare time.

1. What is your full name?

Mark Churman

2. Where were you born?

I grew up in Burlington, Ontario and am proud to call Temiskaming Shores my home for 15 years.

3. What car racing activity are you involved with?

I am currently involved in Chumpcar Endurance Racing.

4. Who are your fellow teammates?

My teammates are Dave Harrison from OK Tire, Steve Goddard and Mylo Blauth.

5. What kind of car do you use for the Chumpcar series?

Our car is a 1996 Nissan 200 SX. It has a two-litre four-cylinder engine and makes about 150 horsepower.

6. Where did the idea originate to enter a local team in the Chumpcar racing series?

I had been talking to some friends about starting an ice-racing club locally. I really have never been into drag racing or circle track racing. I was looking either to ice race, rally or run a road-racing course. When we found Chumpcar, it seemed like a perfect fit.

7. What is your background concerning cars and racing?

I built my first car when I was 15. It was an Austin Mini Cooper S. I took lessons and obtained my license to race at the club level at 17 or so. At that time I was working as a garage rat for a Welsh mechanic who specialized in British cars. At 18 years old, I was proud to have my name listed as “mechanic” on his 1961 Mark 2 racing Jaguar. My racing career was abruptly put on hold when he returned to Wales. A couple of years ago I started back into karting with my son Louis.

8. What has been your biggest challenge so far?

I would say our last race has been the biggest challenge so far. Endurance racing is physically and mentally challenging for the whole team. After the practice day, the races are typically 16 hours over two days. We all take turns driving, wrenching, fueling and changing tires during the pit stops. At our last race, we suffered a failure of the race trailer on the way to the track, we had a battery fire and a transmission failure during practice day. This required a transmission swap during the night. The next morning we lost a wheel on the opening lap of the race and later went on to have a minor crash requiring some cutting of the body panels, radiator repair and clutch adjustments. It was an extremely hot day and the temperature in the car was 120-degrees Fahrenheit or 48-degrees Celsius. Awfully warm when you are wearing fireproof gear that could double as a snowmobile suit.

9. Did you have a mentor?

My mentor was my friend, the Welsh mechanic. His name is Tony Williams. His son Grant has become quite successful racing his grandfather’s vintage Jaguar in the United Kingdom. I also have a friend who is currently leading the French Historic Rally Championship. His name is Francois Foulon.

10. Is this an expensive sport?

I suppose it depends on what choices you are willing to make to follow your passion and how competitive you want to be. The great thing about Chumpcar is that the idea is to buy a $500 car, put in the necessary safety equipment and do your own mechanical work to make it as reliable as possible. Chumpcar is one of the least expensive automobile racing series out there, especially when you consider the amount of time you get behind the seat with the endurance format.

11. What speeds does your car reach in races?

Our car typically reaches speeds of 185-kilometres per hour.

12. What kind of specifications are required for the car?

Safety is the biggest concern. All cars have a full roll cage and fire suppression system. Some have minor engine and suspension performance enhancements. Some have swapped engines. Most have been stripped to the bare bones to be as light as possible without compromising safety.

13. Are there different categories for drivers?

There are no beginner, intermediate or expert driver categories in Chumpcar. It is unique in that no racing license is required. Show up with a safe car that passes technical inspection and drive. There are different classes for cars and a handicap system based on engine size and other modifications.

14. Describe the thrill of driving a Chumpcar?

Racing door-to-door with 45 other cars on the track can certainly be thrilling, but after a while, the challenge of improving your technique and learning the subtleties of different track lines moves to the forefront. To me, the real thrill comes when we pull together as a team and simply finish a difficult race.

15. What has been your best team finish so far?

Our best finish so far has been a third in our class.

16. What are the different factors that go into Chumpcar success?

To me, Chumpcar success is all about having fun. That said, it is no fun if your car fails and is non-repairable after the first hour of a weekend of racing. Safe, consistent, mechanically sympathetic driving is important. Communication and teamwork is important during repairs and in the pits. Also preparation, preparation, preparation. I believe we have about 10,000 kilometres of hard racing on this car and only dropped out of one race with two hours to go. We really owe our fantastic reliability record to Dave Harrison at OK Tire who has done the majority of the team’s mechanical work.

17. What inspires Mark Churman?

Truly successful people. People who maintain a good balance between contributing to society and their own family life…my wife Delphine and my kids, Louis and Elise.

18. How do you work together as a team?

We all have our own favourite tracks and our favourite car set-ups. Also, we all seem to have our good days and our bad days. Any one of us can be the quickest on any given day.

19. How dangerous is Chumpcar racing?

I believe the most dangerous part of Chumpcar racing is the drive on Highway 11 to get to and from the track. Although it is quite possible you may be involved in a collision in Chumpcar racing I have great faith in the safety equipment and in the professionalism of the track workers and safety crews to keep the sport much safer than one might believe.

20. Complete the following sentence: I love racing cars because…?

Who wouldn’t?

5 people like this