Jump to content
Bill Strong

2017 BBCR Update - v1.0.1

Recommended Posts

Ron_e    3,187

What car?  Have you priced out stock rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, hoses?  Should be pretty easy to hit $1,000 on stock stuff from Napa, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottyk    289
3 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

What car?  Have you priced out stock rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, hoses?  Should be pretty easy to hit $1,000 on stock stuff from Napa, etc.

Looks like a 2 piece rotor to me and it fits a mustang. it's a $500 caliper for crying out loud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottyk    289
2 hours ago, Ron_e said:

What car?  Have you priced out stock rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, hoses?  Should be pretty easy to hit $1,000 on stock stuff from Napa, etc.

You guys using different math??

 

Brake Caliper w/ Hardware - Left Front (Eclipse Semi-Loaded) - Re...

;
Part # :
CAL SE4754
Product Line :
NAPA BRAKE CALIPERS
Important Info :
All Supplied w/ Metal Pistons as Original Equipment
Reserve Online Price (USD):
$21.15 /Each
Was $23.49
NAPA BRAKE CALIPERS
 
Edited by scottyk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_e    3,187
1 hour ago, scottyk said:

You guys using different math??

 

Brake Caliper w/ Hardware - Left Front (Eclipse Semi-Loaded) - Re...

;
Part # :
CAL SE4754
Product Line :
NAPA BRAKE CALIPERS
Important Info :
All Supplied w/ Metal Pistons as Original Equipment
Reserve Online Price (USD):
$21.15 /Each
Was $23.49
NAPA BRAKE CALIPERS
 

 

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking in Canadian prices and adding things up in my head.  We pay about $200 for rotors, $300 for pads, $220 for calipers... pretty easy to get up to $1,000 when you add in other bits and pieces.

 

2016 rules though, you could exceed 2X and have 75% of the excess added to your TCV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enginerd    2,684
47 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

 

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking in Canadian prices and adding things up in my head.  We pay about $200 for rotors, $300 for pads, $220 for calipers... pretty easy to get up to $1,000 when you add in other bits and pieces.

 

2016 rules though, you could exceed 2X and have 75% of the excess added to your TCV.

Pads shouldn't be included in 2x values because they are listed as 'open' or '0 points'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mhr650    954

With the market where it is that for many cars the only thing available is very inexpensive reman calipers, they should kill the 2X rule and put in a fixed price rule. Say $200 for a rotor, $300 for a caliper or whatever price deemed to be proper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_e    3,187
55 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Pads shouldn't be included in 2x values because they are listed as 'open' or '0 points'. 

 

Correct but in the above Stoptech amount and picture it has the pads so I was going for an apples to apples comparison.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottyk    289
2 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

 

Correct but in the above Stoptech amount and picture it has the pads so I was going for an apples to apples comparison.  

I think you get my point, caliper vs. caliper 2X cost is a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CGDerian    84

...back to Bill's question:

 

Any time a controlled document is revised, and I'm lumping the BCCR under the "controlled document" umbrella, it must include a revision history.  I'm glad to see ChumpCar going through more rigorous feedback, it makes reading the rules much easier.

 

I would only suggest a slight rearrangement: the amendments should have their own summary in the Table of Contents. We can all imagine the list of amendments growing quite large and having a list with the 1) change 2) date 3) rule # affected 4) reason in the ToC would help everyone get up to speed quickly if they didn't have time to troll the forums because - gasp - they were working on their car.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_e    3,187
1 hour ago, scottyk said:

I think you get my point, caliper vs. caliper 2X cost is a stretch.

 

I already said you were correct.  However comparing reman to new prices is not correct either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csadn    1,957
19 hours ago, Ron_e said:

 

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking in Canadian prices and adding things up in my head.  We pay about $200 for rotors, $300 for pads, $220 for calipers... pretty easy to get up to $1,000 when you add in other bits and pieces.

And this right here explains why "price" is a non-viable method of control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_e    3,187
24 minutes ago, csadn said:

And this right here explains why "price" is a non-viable method of control.

 

I use US pricing for all of my supporting paperwork for 2X pricing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mender    4,195
On 2016-12-25 at 3:15 PM, mhr650 said:

2 piece rotors are ok now. 

Seems to me that brake rotors should now be listed in 4.7.7 for consistency:

4.7.7.  Wheels, brake calipers, brake rotors, and non-adjustable shock absorbers are open, PROVIDED they meet the “2X Rule.”
Edited by mender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mhr650    954
1 hour ago, mender said:

Seems to me that brake rotors should now be listed in 4.7.7 for consistency:

4.7.7.  Wheels, brake calipers, brake rotors, and non-adjustable shock absorbers are open, PROVIDED they meet the “2X Rule.”

 

Seems like 4.7.7 and 4.8.1 are redundant and say the same thing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Von Montueful    538

Wilwood now a sponsor. Yet we cannot run there brakes. What a croc.

 

So I just ordered some Brembos for our build. 2000 Cobra R units. Bolt on our stock  spindles and brackets. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oddcarnut    231
On 12/27/2016 at 2:12 PM, flyinglizard said:

Cost no longer has any value for Chumpcar.

And the way the rules keep evolving, it seems cost containment also might not be important any longer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×