swrving

Official 2017 ChumpCar Canada Date Thread

swrving    351

Hi folks, here to wish you a very Merry Christmas to you and your families and deliver the present of a 2017 ChumpCar Canada Schedule.

I met with Sal and Wendy on Friday, and here I am delivering the schedule. All dates while are as close to being written in stone as possible are still tentative until all the contracts are signed and exact formats will be announced when everything is official. They apologize with the delay in getting in published but they were hoping to have more locked down by now.

May 13 Calabogie - 12hr

Jul 1-2 Mosport (CTMP) - Double 8

Aug 5-6 Castrol - Double 12

Sep 30 - Oct 1 Calabogie (CMP) - Double 8 *Chumpionship - Park Ferme*

Hopeful Additions to the schedule, that are yet to be confirmed but will be announced if and once dates are available:

Quebec event in May or June

AMP in August

*Area 27 is still figuring out if they're going to welcome endurance racing in 2017, but you will be the first to know if Chump gets a date.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to get them answered.

• Like 10

swrving    351
5 hours ago, mchurman said:

I would love to see a Spring Mosport....

I can tell you that based on last years event attendance there will be only two Ontario events, and those dates are published above.

2017 is a year to regroup, back to the basics. Last years schedule with 6 Ontario events while it was great for the racer from a date choice perspective, it divided the attendance as very few teams could attend a full 6 event schedule. We need to show the organizers that we can support two events really well before they add another.

PPo    0

Happy to hear news on the dates, thank you for sharing this information with us. It is greatly appreciated.

Going from 6 to 2 in Ontario seems like an extreme response. I would like to see 3-4 in Ontario. My team would attend 4 Ontario races. Probably more if they where not all on long weekends.

Having 3 dates within a 6 hour drive for 2017 seems reasonable. Hoping that Tremblant can confirm soon so we can start planning our entire schedule...

Can Mosport July 1 be a double 10, or a 24?!?! We have the Monday off, might as well make it a challenge... just sayin...

swrving    351

@PPo keep in mind if your team is looking to do a 4th event there are other events in the States that are within a 6 hr drive that you can supplement your schedule with. 

• Like 2

PPo    0
On 12/29/2016 at 10:22 AM, swrving said:

@PPo keep in mind if your team is looking to do a 4th event there are other events in the States that are within a 6 hr drive that you can supplement your schedule with. 

Thanks for the reply, and I agree... We are currently looking at a number of races in the US.

I would much prefer the team spend our money, time, effort, and resources to help the Canadian series survive. Sal, Wendy, and everybody have worked hard to make this happen... There has to be a balance that will work. We will support the series to the best of our ability. We also want to support companies like Perry Performance who continue to push forward to help grow racing in Canada. We all want to race, be safe, and keep racing... cost effectively.

With that said... The whole team really wants to compete at the 24 Hours VIR event. Are any other Cdns attending this race?

Here are the races that have made our consideration shortlist:

Sat-Sun April 22-23 Road America, WI Double 7-Hour Endurance (11 hour haul)
Mon       April 24 Mid-Ohio, OH 8-Hour Endurance ( 8 hour haul ) (***NB: 8 hours from RA above to MidOhio if we want to do both races in a weekend!!***)
Sat-Sun June 3-4 Autobahn Country Club, IL  Double 7-Hour Endurance ( 9 hour haul )
Fri-Sun  August 11-13 VIR Full Course, VA Test + 24-Hour Endurance (12 hour haul)
Sat-Sun August 26-27 Gingerman Raceway, MI 8-Hour + 7-Hour Endurance ( 7 hour haul )
Sat-Sun October 21-22 Road America, WI 16-Hour Parc Fermé Chumpionship (11 hour haul )
Sat-Sun October 28-29 Atlanta Motorsports Park, GA 16-Hour Parc Fermé Chumpionship ( 15 hour haul )
Sat-Sun December 9-10 Barber Motorsports Park, AL Double 8-Hour Endurance ( 15 hour haul )

PPo    0

We are changing our car to NOT be classified in  EC and basically rebuilding the complete car (red Porsche 924S); disassembling, cleaning, fixing, replacing, as much as possible to make our car reliable and successful. It's certainly not cheap, and it takes a lot of time. We made this choice because we realize that breaking, or needing to fix on race weekends, ultimately costs everybody precious track time.

This sport is only for crazy people, I get that, but the effort/cost to develop a reliable ChumpCar may not be worth it for 2-3 races. Our team is fortunate (crazy?!?) to be able to consider races further away to make the effort reasonable.

I am rambling... but, we also made the decision to start building a 2nd car this year for future racing. Maybe ChumpCar, but maybe other series. I would love to be able to attract another 4 drivers and have a 2 (or more!) car team to run. But we need more than 2-3 local races to make it attractive for the less crazy people to commit to a full year. 

Rambling done... looking forward to racing!! (Oh... and 79 days until the first 2017 F1 race, but who's counting?!?)

thewheelerZ    888
14 minutes ago, PPo said:

, but the effort/cost to develop a reliable Porsche ChumpCar may not be worth it for 2-3 races.

FTFY!  Haha, buy a Mazda man, way cheaper!

Realistically, for our team about 3 races per year is what we can manage.  I am really in for supporting the Canada races, but at the same time my ultimate goal is go and do some of the other cool tracks that are a longer tow (Sebring, Daytona, Road America are on the immediate/realistic short list).  So if there are a too many Canada races, it is hard to choose between them.

Looking at the schedule so far this year matched up with the US races, it actually looks like everything is timed quite nicely.  The CTMP race isn't back to back with any other close US race, and the Bogie race is decently spaced out from others as well (Besides the Pitt Chumpionship).  Fingers crossed that bodes well for a few extra teams making the trek north.

• Like 1

addbhp    17

Great this is finally out in an official thread.  Thanks Brian for doing this.  Now if we could just give this website some love and much needed attention.  Some of us over 50 crowd still don't have facebook accounts, and look here for news, insight etc.  Having said that I did see, a mention of new staff on Facebook, and indication what that means?

I agree some time to regroup is needed, I think the success of 2015, and good turnouts got the mgmt team's eyes bigger than their stomach in planning too much for 2016...adding CS3, too many events too close together, etc.  Hoping to get out this year. Belated Happy New Years everyone.

swrving    351

I honestly have no insight in to the new staff comment, but I can just assume it relates to tech and scoring since Chris moved on, and Bailey is working in some town in the middle of no where looking at rocks I think. Not sure if Chuck will be back, his move out west was supposed to be temporary.

thewheelerZ    888
11 minutes ago, MST Engineer said:

Hopefully the Quebec race is in early April.  Got a baby coming in June so thats kinda a no race zone :)

Hahaha, I also have baby #2 coming in June... I have no idea how this season is going to go!

MST Engineer    28
1 minute ago, thewheelerZ said:

Hahaha, I also have baby #2 coming in June... I have no idea how this season is going to go!

My plan is something in the April/May time and then races in September and October down south.  This could all change with the craziness of a first baby ;)

• Like 1

MR2 Biohazard    640

Calabogie is one week before PIRC. Might hurt some peeps from coming up from the USA on that date or the AH folks that might skip to come down. I know I can not and was thinking I was going to do Calabogie, unfinished business there to finish without a problem, oh well.

PPo    0

Crickets?...

Does anybody have any news on dates or possibility of LCMT?!?

Lots of effort is going into our current car, and looks like planning is under way for additional cars. I really hope LCMT, CTMS, and Calabogie ChumpCar events happen in 2017!

Patrick

High Maintenance Racing

Red 924S #924

shanehutton    19

I would also love to see a list of firm dates from the powers that be.  I am in the middle of dumping a bunch of money and time into a new car and despite the great info provided by SWRVING, it would be great to have something official from the source.  I can't imagine the lack of info is selling anybody new on joining for this year.

• Like 2

miatainium    247

Our team is also really looking forward to the Canadian events ... @swrving or whoever is supporting/helping Wendy and Sal, could you please ask them to confirm the dates for Mosport and Calabogie and open registration on the website?  I hope they will be pleasantly surprised by the pent up demand and number of teams that will register in advance.

• Like 1

Ronh911    209

We're waiting for the schedule also, my team has May, June, and July earmarked for Canadian races!

swrving    351
On 1/26/2017 at 10:39 AM, miatainium said:

Our team is also really looking forward to the Canadian events ... @swrving or whoever is supporting/helping Wendy and Sal, could you please ask them to confirm the dates for Mosport and Calabogie and open registration on the website?  I hope they will be pleasantly surprised by the pent up demand and number of teams that will register in advance.

Sorry, was out of town and not online much until today. Will see what I can find out.

• Like 2

shanehutton    19

Check you emails folks.  I just got an email from Sal / Wendy about a potential Calabogie race in May.  Round up the troops and get back to them saying you will be there.

• Like 1

swrving    351
2 hours ago, shanehutton said:

Check you emails folks.  I just got an email from Sal / Wendy about a potential Calabogie race in May.  Round up the troops and get back to them saying you will be there.

I spoke to Wendy this AM, and as Shane eluded to, an email has gone out to the Chumps formally announcing the schedule and a survey regarding a May Bogie date.