60 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Just a friendly reminder....

 

Make sure you properly bed in the hawk pads and let them cool for at least 12 hours (24 is mo betta) before beating on them on track.

 

We SMOKED a set of hawk blues in 6 hours because we did not bed them in.  They normally last more than 24 hours for us (we did at least 1 of the VIR 24s on 1 set of pads).

 

Maybe you should go through the way you bed in your brakes for folks here on the forums.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2017 at 8:17 PM, bbqman said:

wow I am so surprised to see how many people use Hawks old Blue compound over the new DTC line up.

 

I have been selling and using Hawk since 1995- and honestly hate blues with a passion. My contact at Hawk asked me last year why I don't sell any - he states its still their best selling compound.... I guess here is where they are being sold....

 

Those using blues- have you ever tried DTC-60 as an alternative? Longer lasting, less abrasive on rotors as well as much more easy to modulate....

 

Would love to try the DTC-60 over the blues because we are looking for more modulation. But, there aren't many pad options out there for a MK3 Jetta... You guys do custom cuts at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hornerevan said:

 

Would love to try the DTC-60 over the blues because we are looking for more modulation. But, there aren't many pad options out there for a MK3 Jetta... You guys do custom cuts at all?

We used Hawk HPS for a long time on our Mk4 Jetta. Stock Rotors and Stock Calipers. Brakes were great! No fade, good feel, Good linearity and lasted well over 2 race weekends.

We only changed so we could have a quicker pad change time. Now using Willwoods and we are still trying to figure out which pad material to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

 

Maybe you should go through the way you bed in your brakes for folks here on the forums.

I have done it a few ways with no real difference realized between the processes.

 

The way I *think* it should actually be done is to run several laps building up speed each lap until you are about 85% of race pace.  Usually 5 to 10 laps (depending on track length).  Come back into the pits and let the brakes cool completely.  Do NOT have a handbrake actuated at this time.

 

I have also just done it this way:  Several hard stops from slower speeds up to higher speeds (up to 60 or 70).  In between the stops, I drag the brakes to keep them warm.  I would do this for 15 to 20 stops with the brakes dragging the entire time (two footed driving).  It is easier to do this method (doesn't require a track), but be aware that you can go "over the edge" and not have brakes if you get them too hot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chiefidiot said:

We used Hawk HPS for a long time on our Mk4 Jetta. Stock Rotors and Stock Calipers. Brakes were great! No fade, good feel, Good linearity and lasted well over 2 race weekends.

We only changed so we could have a quicker pad change time. Now using Willwoods and we are still trying to figure out which pad material to use.

 

Oh really? Do you have any ducting to your brakes? We run the HPS on the rear just fine, but running the HPS, HP+, and even Blacks on the front just burns them away super fast.

 

We threw some of the Genesis temperature indicating paint on our pads and rotors and the front rotors are getting into the 1200F range, pad backing plate was above 850F. Rears were ~400-500F lower than that. Granted, this has only been done by us at a very brakes-heavy track, but still... that's pretty high compared to the HPS temperature window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friendly advice: do not bed in pads in the laguna paddock lot.  They don't like that. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hornerevan said:

 

Oh really? Do you have any ducting to your brakes? We run the HPS on the rear just fine, but running the HPS, HP+, and even Blacks on the front just burns them away super fast.

 

We threw some of the Genesis temperature indicating paint on our pads and rotors and the front rotors are getting into the 1200F range, pad backing plate was above 850F. Rears were ~400-500F lower than that. Granted, this has only been done by us at a very brakes-heavy track, but still... that's pretty high compared to the HPS temperature window.

We have no ducting. Some tracks were harder on our brakes and we would use up a set of front pads after an 8hr race but that was very rare. It is also dependent on who is driving also. The rears would last us about 6 races. We never measured brake temps so have no idea how hot we were getting. Since we moved to the Wilwoods, we have been burning the pads up. All chamfered on the leading edges being a good sign that we are getting them too hot. Pads are barely lasting 6hrs currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chiefidiot said:

We have no ducting. Some tracks were harder on our brakes and we would use up a set of front pads after an 8hr race but that was very rare. It is also dependent on who is driving also. The rears would last us about 6 races. We never measured brake temps so have no idea how hot we were getting. Since we moved to the Wilwoods, we have been burning the pads up. All chamfered on the leading edges being a good sign that we are getting them too hot. Pads are barely lasting 6hrs currently.

 

Iiiiinteresting. We were getting similar life out of our rears, but definitely not out of the fronts, and none of our drivers are all that hard on the brakes (we all learned from running Chumpcar 24hr races in a MK2 with the 9.4" solid front discs). Could be that we have more forward weight transfer? Though according to the intertoobs, the whole Golf/Jetta line from MK2 - MK4 all have very similar wheelbases, so that makes it seem less likely depending on the rest of our set-up differences.

Side note, what made you decide to go to the Wilwoods if you were happy with your braking performance at the time (or do I assume too much here)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chiefidiot said:

We have no ducting. Some tracks were harder on our brakes and we would use up a set of front pads after an 8hr race but that was very rare. It is also dependent on who is driving also. The rears would last us about 6 races. We never measured brake temps so have no idea how hot we were getting. Since we moved to the Wilwoods, we have been burning the pads up. All chamfered on the leading edges being a good sign that we are getting them too hot. Pads are barely lasting 6hrs currently.

 

I will send you a pm, I have a guy at Wilwood who can get your pad choice dialed in. They have so many choices you can find something. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mhr650 said:

 

I will send you a pm, I have a guy at Wilwood who can get your pad choice dialed in. They have so many choices you can find something. 

 

Thanks for the PM.

We have had a few issues with the brake system and have been changing out almost all the components and that has meant some fine tuning. We have tried 4 different compounds so far, have another 3 in the trailer. It just takes a few races to work through them all....still working on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now