Snorman

How do teams decide driving stint order?

45 posts in this topic

Let's see its 28" tracks slick as snot there's 121 cars starting and 72 first time drivers , yup I get the call ..

@Justin9 - do we dare divulge trade secrets?

No, I think that's something we keep for us...

37_Itchy-Nipples-in-Males.jpg

Anyway.....

The first year, I always drove first...  why...  I just spent 5 grand...  I be damned if someone else drove the car and trashed it before I got a turn...

The next year, Dad went first, because he was slow and I felt the yellows in the first two hours would spare us some...

The third year, I was pushing rental guys through first, not that we ever had any problems, I just wanted to make sure my renters had a good time... because that's the only thing I really promised them, a good time...

2 people like this

To truly know what practices used to determine who drives when. We need results to go with it. 

This will truly determine what way is best. Thus increasing the overall competition level of the series.

That race where Andrew chose driving over drinking? We won it.

QED.

:)

No, I think that's something we keep for us...

37_Itchy-Nipples-in-Males.jpg

Anyway.....

The first year, I always drove first...  why...  I just spent 5 grand...  I be damned if someone else drove the car and trashed it before I got a turn...

The next year, Dad went first, because he was slow and I felt the yellows in the first two hours would spare us some...

The third year, I was pushing rental guys through first, not that we ever had any problems, I just wanted to make sure my renters had a good time... because that's the only thing I really promised them, a good time...

When are you and Ryan getting to town for Daytona  :lol: :lol:

When I raced with @Miata PI more often I conned Ben into letting us determined driver order by laptimes in Grand Turismo for the Chumpionship. Drivers got to pick their stint based on their best lap. The idea was to encourage practice of the course beforehand. We were all close enough that it didn't matter who went when. Interestingly the 1st stint was not the stint of choice but was picked 3rd. Just to expand on that idea @coolcars44 asked me to drive first stint at Road Atlanta, I accepted but would have never chose that stint.  ~28F and 90 cars on grid for the first race of the year isn't my favorite way. 

It's in my signature. 

I never noticed this before, but it seems like signatures don't show up when I use my mobile device.  

I will share a TOP SECRET strategy that we used recently on a team I drove with.  Whoever happened to be in the pit box when the car returned and was 1) actually wearing safety gear and 2) had persuaded another team to hold the fire bottle while he fueled, got to drive next.  If no one was there when the car came in, the honors went to whichever person in the adjacent stall could answer "yes" to the riddle "do you want to drive now?"   Thankfully, no one discovered our brilliant strategy because the car always broke before the stint ended...

just kidding.   Well... maybe not entirely. 😫

3 people like this

The fastest guys goes first most of the time.  Turns out that being quick goes hand in hand with keeping your head outofass. Resulting in less contact. In the old days of rental drivers, the first to pay the full cost went first.

Other times we just rotate the option and some guys defer to the couple of fast guys. 

1 person likes this

I am noticing a disturbing trend within my team. We have podiumed the last 4 chumpionships. The pictures from those events tell a very good lesson.

usually racing for my team is like a "light" hall pass. Boys weekend type of thing.

Usually if your not 100% in the morning you drive later. Or we make you go first depending on the mentality of the mob, which is my team.

now for the pics.

North Chumpionship 2013

driver order: least "fxxxxd" up,1st

result:1st 

%5BURL=http://s.photobucket.com/user/oshawasrt/media/null_zps865c48fa.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/oshawasrt/null_zps865c48fa.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

North Chumpionship 2014

driver order: least "fxxxxxd" up, 1st

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/oshawasrt/media/5AAFDF4F-00DF-4030-9D8B-CDC3EC82B903_zpswbpuck0p.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/oshawasrt/5AAFDF4F-00DF-4030-9D8B-CDC3EC82B903_zpswbpuck0p.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

for the last two chumpionships, we had other issues arise that made celebrations difficult, fixing second car. Girlfriends/wives attending which facilitated more acceptable behaviour.

results: 

2015: 2nd

2016: 3rd

So, If history is any indication. Driver order should be determined by actions of the party the night before the race. 

Girlfriends/wives should be avoided. Abandon second car in favor of partying. As your results will be better.

Edited by Mopar 4 Life
Hosting pics don't work
5 people like this

Girlfriends/wives should be avoided. Abandon second car in favor of partying. As your results will be better.

Well, it's an ancient racing superstition that "a woman in the garage brings bad luck"; I suspect that one is mostly "self-fulfilling prophecy".

Still haven't been able to figure out the "peanut" one....

The other owner and I rotate every race with our regular rental driver always driving last. I always drive first on practice days because my buddy thinks I can hear and feel things that aren't "right" best. I make things up sometimes just so I get to keep being first. :)

4 people like this

Well, it's an ancient racing superstition that "a woman in the garage brings bad luck"; I suspect that one is mostly "self-fulfilling prophecy".

Still haven't been able to figure out the "peanut" one....

Send the women to my garage and I'll make sure they stay out of the way. Better yet, send them to my motorhome! 

2 people like this

I am noticing a disturbing trend within my team. We have podiumed the last 4 chumpionships. The pictures from those events tell a very good lesson.

usually racing for my team is like a "light" hall pass. Boys weekend type of thing.

Usually if your not 100% in the morning you drive later. Or we make you go first depending on the mentality of the mob, which is my team.

now for the pics.

North Chumpionship 2013

driver order: least "fxxxxd" up,1st

%5BURL=http://s.photobucket.com/user/oshawasrt/media/null_zps865c48fa.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/oshawasrt/null_zps865c48fa.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

North Chumpionship 2014

driver order: least "fxxxxxd" up, 1st

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/oshawasrt/media/5AAFDF4F-00DF-4030-9D8B-CDC3EC82B903_zpswbpuck0p.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/oshawasrt/5AAFDF4F-00DF-4030-9D8B-CDC3EC82B903_zpswbpuck0p.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

for the last two chumpionships, we had other issues arise that made celebrations difficult, fixing second car. Girlfriends/wives attending which facilitated more acceptable behaviour.

results: 

2015: 2nd

2016: 3rd

So, If history is any indication. Driver order should be determined by actions of the party the night before the race. 

There was a time that you sent the most messed up driver first, just for spite, what ever happened with that?

I like to think the times that I started for you was because I was the most able to handle my liquor from the night before and operate with little to no sleep. unlike those that are just good at starting races......

1 person likes this

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock... no really whomever is the least hung-over...no just kidding it's the 1st guy out of the bathroom.

This is a question for teams that are mostly comprised of regular team members, that aren't renting out seats on a regular basis. 

Do you tend to try and get your fastest drivers in the car at any particular time...early in the race? Later in the race when traffic is lighter? 

Have had the discussion and IMO, it's all random. Put your best driver, who you think can manage traffic and make good progress, and they could get caught under yellow for half of their stint, or have a racing incident with a car to car, or a mechanical. To me, it almost seems like a draw straws kind of thing. Others think we should put those who can manage traffic more easily in the car early, and save the later stints for those who are more conservative. I'm not sure in the end it makes any difference. 

Just curious what other teams are doing.

S. 

We use a pure non democratic process. I pick order based on what the drivers deserve.

It's based on how much drivers has helped with wrenching.

1 person likes this

Arena combat, last man standing gets first choice.   

3 people like this

Hand everybody a taser.... last man standing... :)

2 people like this

We thought about that. But it would require too much advance planning and one of our guys is a lawyer. Alternatively, paddock feats-of-strength have been considered. 

S. 

3 people like this

Hand everybody a taser.... last man standing... :)

After a lifetime of being repeatably hit by coil output I would like to take your challenge:P

3 people like this

^^I hate that.  Tingling fingers/arm for hours.  But if its considered conditioning.....then I might have a chance!

I set the order, generally, but with input from the driver pool.  My only two requirements:  first driver has to be fast and have experience with our car, last driver has to be fast.  In the middle we'll work through either renters or whoever deserves the seat time (from previous races).

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Evilwheel said:

And now I'm picturing your team playing _Car Wars_ before the race.... :)

2 people like this