Mike.g

ROAD AMERICA: Double 8: The Landjaeger Cup

108 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JoeHeitzRules said:

Go to napa and buy another set of any suspension part and brake part that may be needed. If you don't use it, return it. In our first race we went through 4 sets of rotors, 2 sets of calipers and almost 6 sets of pads. We have also had a tie rod go on us in a race. Another race we had an axle go. If it can brake, it probably will at some point.

We just swapped tie rods, ball joints, struts and bushing as all were beyond shot on the donor car. Sounds like extra rotors makes sense, what was happening to calipers?!?

2 minutes ago, J Mills said:

We just swapped tie rods, ball joints, struts and bushing as all were beyond shot on the donor car. Sounds like extra rotors makes sense, what was happening to calipers?!?

Less skilled drivers use the brakes ALOT, so they often overheat the caliper. It is common for new teams to have issues with brakes and heat. Road America is also the worst track to have a brake problem. Make sure you start with a good racing pad like HAWK BLUE, and some good RACING brake fluid. 

You don't want to have a brake issues at Road America. 

1 person likes this

"We just swapped tie rods, ball joints, struts and bushing as all were beyond shot on the donor car. Sounds like extra rotors makes sense, what was happening to calipers"

Hard to tell, but this is a brake pad formed around a caliper piston from brakes overheating at Road America.  This was Hawk pads, Motul fluid, etc.  RA is a brake killer.

10403652_770579186347350_5356857904198443801_n.jpg

Indeed.  Brakes are a premium.   Road America was the originator of putting turns at the ends of straights.  

Here is one of my driver's who radioed in and said he was losing brakes so I told him to take it easy until the end of the race.  Don't let this be your team.  I was very upset and the guy has not drove with my team since.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, scottyk said:

EH Wolf in Slinger will sell you 55 gallon drums for $25. 

In Wisconsin the jugs/drums have to red by state law.  And yes some gas stations seem to care. 

2 hours ago, JoeHeitzRules said:

Go to napa and buy another set of any suspension part and brake part that may be needed. If you don't use it, return it. In our first race we went through 4 sets of rotors, 2 sets of calipers and almost 6 sets of pads. We have also had a tie rod go on us in a race. Another race we had an axle go. If it can brake, it probably will at some point.

Holy cow, what kind of car are you talking about?  We use one set of rotors for a 10-12 race season (Frozen Rotors), one set of pads lasts us about 30+ hour of track time (PFC0-08s) and we haven't changed the calipers in 2+ years.  Something is up. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Is that driver a pro?  That's some of the best driving I've ever seen. 

14 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

In Wisconsin the jugs/drums have to red by state law.  And yes some gas stations seem to care. 

Holy cow, what kind of car are you talking about?  We use one set of rotors for a 10-12 race season (Frozen Rotors), one set of pads lasts us about 30+ hour of track time (PFC0-08s) and we haven't changed the calipers in 2+ years.  Something is up. 

Is that driver a pro?  That's some of the best driving I've ever seen. 

It was a crx. StI'll had rear drums, we didn't have any brake ducting, the brake proportioning valve was wrong, we blasted through our hawk dtc60's so we bought some shitty pads from autozone to complete the weekend. Napa premium rotors were cracking and whorping. And the calipers flexed so bad from the heat the pads were getting uneven wear.  

This brings me to a question for all:

How do you guys feel about cryo rotors? Slotted rotors? Or cryo sltotes rotors?

We have always used cryo treated Frozen Rotors, a former CC sponsor.  We are about to do our 13 and 14th race on the same rotors in 2 weeks at Road Atlanta.  They are cheaper in the long run and save the labor of having to swap them our every race weekend. 

Slotted just accelerates the cracking and wear on the pad and rotor and isn't needed for our kind of racing.  Blanks are best.