turbogrill

X-bar door roll bars no longer accepted?

139 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mellow Mike said:

Personally, and not affected by the x issue, people are making a big deal out of nothing, welding a gusset  is not a big deal, at the most 2 hours work. If you tell me a gusset will make my cage stronger, safer and not add much weight, I start welding.

Because you can weld.  For others, it means finding time to load it in the trailer, drag it to someone who can weld, unload it, wait that 2 hours (hopefully) to get it welded, load it back into the trailer, take it back home, and unload it.  And possibly time to go pick up and return the trailer to a storage area.  In other words, it's a good way to kill an entire day.

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that for some people, it's a bigger deal.

1 person likes this

On 3/21/2017 at 4:17 PM, mcoppola said:

No, it wasn't me. I'm assuming you're talking about your viper? I worked in that group between 1989-2003, and was at Roush just prior to that. Been too long since I've had a really fun job. 😞 Now, I just wreck new cars...

When are you going to crash test a X shaped door bars vs a gusseted one?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Mellow Mike said:

Personally, and not affected by the x issue, people are making a big deal out of nothing, welding a gusset  is not a big deal, at the most 2 hours work. If you tell me a gusset will make my cage stronger, safer and not add much weight, I start welding.

What time will you be coming by to do mine? I'll even buy you dinner and provide beer (afterward)

4 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

When are you going to crash test a X shaped door bars vs a gusseted one?

Unfortunately, working for an OEM, we mostly just do full vehicle, or component testing on our line of cars /trucks /suv's. No cool racecar stuff.. :(

But damn, now you've got me thinking about making up a rig with simulated main hoop and front A-pillar bar, essentially 2 vertical tubes spaced 48-52" apart, with X tubes connecting them - one setup without gussets, and one with gussets. Then run a Barge into it, and note the deformation. Or, do a static test using a press and load cells to see the difference in strength. Wonder if I could talk my bosses into letting me do that in my spare time... :ph34r:

Actually, a crash test facility in Wisconsin, MGA, can be contracted to do just about any type of testing that can be dreamed up. I've researched hans device testing - it was done at MGA. And just the other day, while watching one of my favorite shows, Air Disasters, where they investigate and reconstruct airline accidents, MGA was where the NTSB did testing and development on the inflatable slides that deploy in an airplane crash.  

Hmmm, been thinking about what to do after retirement in a year or so. Wonder if I could get someone to commission me to do this kind of stuff, along with some other ideas for safety improvements in racecars that I've been dreaming up...

5 people like this

As a consumer, I thank you and your team for saving a lot of lives over the years by making cars more survivable

6 people like this

^^^Thanks Mike. It's cool every once in a while to get letters from someone who had a nasty crash and came out of it ok. It's amazing how NHTSA and the IIHS keep progressively raising the bar, making up more drastic tests, in order to get awarded a 5 star rating, or "Top Safety Pick."

Google or youtube "IIHS Small Overlap Test" to see some films of the most violent and destructive test modes currently out there. 

6 people like this

10 hours ago, mcoppola said:

^^^Thanks Mike. It's cool every once in a while to get letters from someone who had a nasty crash and came out of it ok. It's amazing how NHTSA and the IIHS keep progressively raising the bar, making up more drastic tests, in order to get awarded a 5 star rating, or "Top Safety Pick."

Google or youtube "IIHS Small Overlap Test" to see some films of the most violent and destructive test modes currently out there. 

I'm sure I'm not smart enough to work on your team, but if you're ever in need of a dummy replacement, let me know :)  Keep up the good work!

1 person likes this

On 3/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, mcoppola said:

And just the other day, while watching one of my favorite shows, Air Disasters, where they investigate and reconstruct airline accidents, MGA was where the NTSB did testing and development on the inflatable slides that deploy in an airplane crash. 

Oh -- you watch that show as well?

Interesting to see two of my interests cross-over. :)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, csadn said:

Oh -- you watch that show as well?

Interesting to see two of my interests cross-over. :)

As I said, it's one of my favorite shows.

Although I have mixed feelings about the subject.  I'm saddened, and have sympathy for the lost lives that often accompany these disasters, but I marvel in the technological aspect of the investigations, and try to focus on the good that is done toward future prevention. It's amazing how one small mistake, or faulty part, can spell disaster. :(

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, mcoppola said:

As I said, it's one of my favorite shows.

Although I have mixed feelings about the subject.  I'm saddened, and have sympathy for the lost lives that often accompany these disasters, but I marvel in the technological aspect of the investigations, and try to focus on the good that is done toward future prevention. It's amazing how one small mistake, or faulty part, can spell disaster. :(

Same applies to ChumpCar -- it's just we're far less likely to end up with a body-count afterward [knocks on wood]. To quote Alan King's joke about Jimmy Carter: "I have an uncle who's also a nice guy -- he runs a dry-cleaners; when he screws up, you lose a pair of pants, BUT NOT A COUNTRY!"

2 people like this

On March 22, 2017 at 9:30 PM, skierman64 said:

What time will you be coming by to do mine? I'll even buy you dinner and provide beer (afterward)

It's a shame you live a little far from me.  Bring it here and I'll do for you. Us e36 guys have to stick together against the hateful world.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mellow Mike said:

It's a shame you live a little far from me.  Bring it here and I'll do for you. Us e36 guys have to stick together against the hateful world.

If only there was a place where we'd be loved.

3 hours ago, skierman64 said:

If only there was a place where we'd be loved.

xzibit-yo-dawg-we-love-you-man-.jpg

Edited by Ham Sammich

We still need you E36s, nothing gives me more pleasure than passing you. (Mostly only happens during yellow).

1 person likes this