Bill Strong

Red Flag Video #13 West Coast Updates and Daytona

235 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, csadn said:

11 & 7, then?

Umm, not to be pedantic or anything but those would both be odd numbers.  13&6, 12&7, 9&8, 14&5, all good for big and small capacity.  

13 hours ago, espog said:

I think you missed the point of my post. I would much rather have 10 hrs of seat time with some night racing than less than 5 hrs of racing over a given weekend.

There's seems to be an interesting difference in some of the preferences.

• I want to go racing as many weekends as possible, and short races are less costly per event

VS

• When I do get to go racing, I want as much seat time as I can possibly get in the weekend.
1 person likes this

19 hours ago, skierman64 said:

At the first race of 2015 we had a catastrophic failure of the transmission and were saved by our mechanics from home who drove 4.5 hours one way with a new trans and installed it overnight to get us on track on Sunday (hero status for those guys). 

That was crazy, mad props to you guys getting back on the track. 

If we have a mechanical failure of any kind that cannot be fixed in hot pit, we normally pack up and go home. A few times we have made major repairs between 7 hour races, but not often. 

My Dad enjoys working on the cars at home in his garage but, struggling at the track is no fun. My mechanical ability is on the same level as Jeremy Clarkson, so I am useless. 

2 people like this

21 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Umm, not to be pedantic or anything but those would both be odd numbers.  13&6, 12&7, 9&8, 14&5, all good for big and small capacity.  

Missed that part -- sorry.

Most of those suggestions look like "19 hours racing total"; is that a good amount for people?

10 minutes ago, csadn said:

Missed that part -- sorry.

Most of those suggestions look like "19 hours racing total"; is that a good amount for people?

Yes at a minimum.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, red0 said:

That was crazy, mad props to you guys getting back on the track. 

If we have a mechanical failure of any kind that cannot be fixed in hot pit, we normally pack up and go home. A few times we have made major repairs between 7 hour races, but not often. 

My Dad enjoys working on the cars at home in his garage but, struggling at the track is no fun. My mechanical ability is on the same level as Jeremy Clarkson, so I am useless. 

I can hold a flashlight like nobody's business. ... in the nearly ten years I have been doing this is I have stood beside a Prelude, a Sentra, a Civic, a Galaxy 500, a RX-8, a Celica, an Integra, ........ more hours on my back on the cold wet ground than I ever got in the seat of the 240SX / 5.0, 5.8....

Strangely enough. ... one marque isn't included on that list.... ;)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, dogtired said:

I can hold a flashlight like nobody's business. ... in the nearly ten years I have been doing this is I have stood beside a Prelude, a Sentra, a Civic, a Galaxy 500, a RX-8, a Celica, an Integra, ........ more hours on my back on the cold wet ground than I ever got in the seat of the 240SX / 5.0, 5.8....

Strangely enough. ... one marque isn't included on that list.... ;)

I was laughing with someone about this today. We were comparing an E36 and a Civic. The E36 is a better car in basically every way, but for some reason I'm glad that I have taken the Honda path. 

I may may end up being a BMW or Porsche guy, but at least I know the struggle of running a Honda. 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, red0 said:

C'mon fellow honda man!....we chucked a rod with just over an hour to go in day 1 of a double 7 at Pacific Raceways in 2015 (35 or so cars that year-not like now)...we were p1 at the time by almost a full lap...got towed in and my co-driver and I went to work pulling the motor immediately (we had no crew this weekend,,,just 2 of us including pit stops)...3.5 hours later the spare was running....we left our lap timer on and our lap time was 3.5 hours when the car was up and running (beer breaks included).

Day 2...with a failing alternator (was on the sparte motor)...we won...(our first win)...with failing electrics, a car that wouldn't rev over 5g for the last half hour, myself forgetting my earbuds so I had no idea where we were positioned and a transponder that died with about 15 minuted to go so we were hand timed....NEVER GIVE UP!!!

5 people like this

16 hours ago, red0 said:

If we have a mechanical failure of any kind that cannot be fixed in hot pit, we normally pack up and go home.

You should pit next to Bob.  Our first 24 (two car team) we lost both engines early and only brought one spare. swapped one with the spare and built another from slavaged pieces from the other two (one lost a rod, the other melted a piston)    Finished with both cars.

"We just don't have a big enough team for the long races. "
Team size is critical, used to run with a large team, to very large depending on track and really preferred 24 or more, small team now and shorter races are much easier logistically.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, curtwill said:

C'mon fellow honda man!....we chucked a rod with just over an hour to go in day 1 of a double 7 at Pacific Raceways in 2015 (35 or so cars that year-not like now)...we were p1 at the time by almost a full lap...got towed in and my co-driver and I went to work pulling the motor immediately (we had no crew this weekend,,,just 2 of us including pit stops)...3.5 hours later the spare was running....we left our lap timer on and our lap time was 3.5 hours when the car was up and running (beer breaks included).

Day 2...with a failing alternator (was on the sparte motor)...we won...(our first win)...with failing electrics, a car that wouldn't rev over 5g for the last half hour, myself forgetting my earbuds so I had no idea where we were positioned and a transponder that died with about 15 minuted to go so we were hand timed....NEVER GIVE UP!!!

I might note that I also don't have a spare motor or transmission. We had spares for the D16s but I don't really have any B series stuff. 

1 person likes this