Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcoppola

Motor City Hot Rod & Racing Expo - March 25-26, 2017 in Novi, MI

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Guys, we missed the boat on this one....    http://hotrodracingexpo.com

This is not a car show, but is modeled after the PRI and SEMA shows, showing off products.

This would have been a great opportunity to promote Chumpcar. Next year, we ought to reserve an Exhibitors' spot and display some car(s), highlight videos, and have some folks on hand to answer questions, and drum up interest.

Danny (my son) and I went to the expo last year, or the year before, and really enjoyed it.

This year, looking at the Exhibitors list, there are some local, as well as some well known national companies in attendance.

So anyway, I'm taking roll call - who's going???  @Hi_Im_Will, @Scribe, @Jamie, @NigelStu, @RedShoeRacing

Road trip for @Crank Yankers Racing, @enginerd, @red0, @60 degree motorsports, @mostmint   ?????

Edited by mcoppola
1 person likes this

That is tempting, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit it to my busy weekend schedule.  I have family visiting Saturday and I may be able to convince them to go for an hour or so.

I need to load my trailer for the April 7-8  WRL Road Atlanta race this weekend. I will be at the Daytona Chump races the weekend of  April 1, so I need to load this weekend. 

If you've never been there, it would be well worth the trip!

Or, even if you HAVE been there before, it's well worth going again. For me, even though it's less than half hour away, it's been at least a dozen years, and we've been talking about going again soon.

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

Guys, we missed the boat on this one....    http://hotrodracingexpo.com

This is not a car show, but is modeled after the PRI and SEMA shows, showing off products.

This would have been a great opportunity to promote Chumpcar. Next year, we ought to reserve an Exhibitors' spot and display some car(s), highlight videos, and have some folks on hand to answer questions, and drum up interest.

Danny (my son) and I went to the expo last year, or the year before, and really enjoyed it.

This year, looking at the Exhibitors list, there are some local, as well as some well known national companies in attendance.

So anyway, I'm taking roll call - who's going???  @Hi_Im_Will, @Scribe, @Jamie, @NigelStu, @RedShoeRacing

Road trip for @Crank Yankers Racing, @enginerd, @red0, @60 degree motorsports, @mostmint   ?????

You talking about this year, or next?  Not a chance this year, the car is scattered all over the garage, and we're trying to get a dyno day in before the gingerman season opener.  Next year is certainly a possibility - will be a lot easier to have the car together with some time to plan around it. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Can't do it this year, next year I should have more free weekends.

Edited by enginerd

20 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

You talking about this year, or next?  Not a chance this year, the car is scattered all over the garage, and we're trying to get a dyno day in before the gingerman season opener.  Next year is certainly a possibility - will be a lot easier to have the car together with some time to plan around it. 

Yes,, by saying "next year", I meant for next year... Lol. 

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Yes,, by saying "next year", I meant for next year... Lol. 

Just making sure.  Title says 2017, most of the responses seem to be talking about this weekend, and I'm not very good at reading comprehension. :)

Edited by Hi_Im_Will

Posted (edited)

Yes,, by saying "next year", I meant for exhibiting next year. I'm just going as a spectator this weekend and was checking who else might be going. Any of you guys interested?

Edited by mcoppola

Would I be there just to look pretty and flash my tattoos? I don't think my Volt with HOV stickers will impress anyone. I guess it is possible the Subaru is in my old teammates backyard but i bet it has bees in it 

35 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Would I be there just to look pretty and flash my tattoos? I don't think my Volt with HOV stickers will impress anyone. I guess it is possible the Subaru is in my old teammates backyard but i bet it has bees in it 

Even if you didn't have a car to display if we get a booth next year, you could still work the booth and tell people about the great experiences you've had as a renter, right? Sell the idea to some folks who might think they could never go road racing....

11 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Even if you didn't have a car to display if we get a booth next year, you could still work the booth and tell people about the great experiences you've had as a renter, right? Sell the idea to some folks who might think they could never go road racing....

I helped at the WRL PRI booth 2 years ago. Having the Bruce Transporters Honda S2000 there was great, I would suggest having a car at the booth if possible. 

1 person likes this

I'm sure we could get a car between some of the teams around here. But having others that could take turns manning the booth is what I meant also

Need to have some scrutiny for what car goes on display... just the right amount of "looks fast", combined with "looks clean and well built", combined with "looks like a cheapish car that I could see myself building on a budget".

If I'm free next year I will help out if this becomes a thing.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, enginerd said:

"looks fast"

^^That rules you out

39 minutes ago, enginerd said:

"looks clean and well built"

^^That rules me out

39 minutes ago, enginerd said:

"looks like a cheapish car that I could see myself building on a budget".

^^That rules out Mike.

So uhhhh..... who's car are we bringing???

2 people like this

Just now, Hi_Im_Will said:

If I had a car in mind I would have listed it! :) 

2 people like this

I am absolutely swamped right now.  Got into the new house today.  I walked in and all I smelled was dog piss everywhere.  Ripped all of the carpets up today.  Tomorrow I'm working at my Fort Wayne house to get it ready to sell.  Saturday we go to Indy then Sunday back to the new house to work on it.  Next year I'll be all in and my car could be displayed.......:ph34r:

1 person likes this

Just now, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Got into the new house today. I walked in and all I smelled was dog piss everywhere.

Were they baking cookies during the showing / open house?

1 minute ago, enginerd said:

Were they baking cookies during the showing / open house?

Sadie is baking cookies for her mom's open house this weekend.  This is the 10th annual open house at their store.  They sell a lot of antique stuff and they call it a hardware :).  They had about 50 candles burning the 3 times we saw the house though which covered up the piss smell.  We were replacing carpets anyway since the previous owner had 3 dogs. 

No can do this year.  As far as 2018 check with me after the VIR 24 - would be fun to hang out and talk ChumpCar. 

1 hour ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

^^That rules you out

^^That rules me out

^^That rules out Mike.

Starion? Oh wait... no one in their right mind would build one of those. We'd scare people away.

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Starion?

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

"looks like a cheapish car that I could see myself building on a budget".

^^^ These two are incompatible. 

1 person likes this

A casual observer may not know how rare a starion is... before this week I would have seen that car and said "oh, a mid 80's somethingorother"

Another plus for the starion is the turbo... whenever someone asks about our race car they ask about power... I say "it's rated 169", they start laughing... "my wife's blahblahblah has more power than you're Image result for race car meme dr evil".

With the starion.. .they ask about power, you can say mid-200s, then the person remains interested and thinks it's legit racing.

Put a big wing on it for the "looks fast" part, and make sure all the wiring is tidy and interior is painted. Could be a good display car.

1 person likes this