jdmy

This cage okay?

8 posts in this topic

Is this cage chump ready? The rest of it looks great, but are these bars high enough? 

Also are 5.3 gallon fuel jugs ok over pit wall? Rules say 5 gallon.. but I see a bunch of 20 litre/ 5.3 gallon ones for sale..

Screenshot_20170414-202733.png

Reading rule 3.2.3.1 - It says the bars need to be at least 6 inches apart centerline to centerline where they attach to the front and main (rear) hoop. Those look really close to that. Also less than 10" higher than the door sill. That looks good there. You need SFI 45.1 high density padding on those bars. Is that pipe insulation zip tied on there? It makes bad thick black smoke if it burns. That's what someone told me when I had it on my car.  5.3 gallon converts to  20L. They are allowed. the 25 L are not.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thank you!

It was built to casc Ontario specs with states:

"6.4.4 If NASCAR-style door bars are installed, they should be constructed in the following manner:
They should be constructed of several horizontal tubes attached to the main and front hoop, angled out into the door 
cavity as far as possible, spaced equally at intervals no more than 15 cm ( 5.9") center to center. "

So chump says at least 6" apart and casc says no more than 5.9" apart.

= no good  :/

Edited by jdmy

Woah! Don't you hack up your cage yet. In my non-official opinion, it would be stronger to leave it alone than make 6- 8 cuts and welds that would be over old cuts and welds. You do have extra bars that run straight as well as the mandatory bars that angle into the door. I think those two factors are more reason to leave it than to chase a tenth of an inch. Its like the 5 gallon/20 litre conversion thing again but this time its cm/inches. I would send an email to tech and mention its a CASC cage and see what they say but if it has been inspected and passed with them I think it will be fine for Chump.

1 person likes this

I suspect worst case is to add another top bar.

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, Superdave said:

I suspect worst case is to add another top bar.

This

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I agree, overall the top bar looks a little low (just my opinion). 

Just another thought from a design theory perspective... 

in looking at it closer, those door bars that protrude outwards into the door shell tie into other flat door bars and not the actual front downbar and main hoop, while it is arguably safer than just having the flat door bars that are close to the driver, the curved door bars now create dead end loads into the flat door bars. Hindsight is 20/20, but landing the front downbar 6" further back probably would have been a little better. 

Edited by pintodave
1 person likes this

Thanks folks, I appreciate your help :)