529 posts in this topic

20170416_020115.jpg

1 person likes this

I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

A Hoosier on a wheel with a missing lug nut and some grease or dirt on the wheel.

Please explain.  Looks interesting.

And it's in the UnChump section so I guess Bandit still hasn't started on this chumpcar build...who didn't see that coming? 😜

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Repurpose of a disused asphalt "strictly stock" circle track metric chassis to chump.

Edited by Team Infiniti
3 people like this

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

And it's in the UnChump section so I guess Bandit still hasn't started on this chumpcar build...who didn't see that coming? 😜

PintoDave's Camaro build was in this section. Just following precedent.

1 person likes this

I believe Bandit was trying to say "Hoosier daddy?" 

1 person likes this

Best thing about full frame cars? You can take the body right off. Much easier to work on.

Would post more pics but don't want to cause any coronaries, so I'll wait til I remove a few tubes..

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

I believe Bandit was trying to say "Hoosier daddy?" 

He may just own us with this thing.

$0.50 says he states it started as a diesel :P;)

*gathers popcorn making supplies*

Edited by Team Infiniti
2 people like this

Can't believe you only bet 50 cents...B)

1 person likes this

:ph34r:

20170415_171616.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

Hmmmm G-body frame rails??? 

The whole frame is there...

Have to go back for the body. Can't put a 5th wheel on an Avalanche unfortunately. 

But yes, G body. 83 diesel Monte to be precise.

Edited by Bandit
5 people like this

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, Team Infiniti said:

He may just own us with this thing.

$0.50 says he states it started as a diesel :P;)

*gathers popcorn making supplies*

If it were my build, I'd be tempted to keep it an oil burner, too.

8 hours ago, karman1970 said:

If it were my build, I'd be tempted to keep it an oil burner, too.

Mosquitos are not usually a problem at Road America in Nov. :D

Posted (edited)

Engine donor... :ph34r:

FB_IMG_1492650327835.jpg

Edited by Bandit
1 person likes this

Unfortunately it's an auto. However, Muncie's apparently don't fall out of trees anymore so may stuff the 4L60 in along with the LT1.

Have plenty of time to find a M21 though.

PintoDave-My memory is failing with age. LT1's have the normal small block exhaust port layout, correct? Looking to put Schoenfeld 180s on it. :D

10 hours ago, Bandit said:

PintoDave-My memory is failing with age. LT1's have the normal small block exhaust port layout, correct? Looking to put Schoenfeld 180s on it. :D

I *think* the flange pattern is the same, but the ports are D-shaped. Allegedly you can run standard 1-3/4" round headers and the dia. of the tube will cover out to the corners of the D-port, but 1-5/8" will not. LT4 heads I believe are also the same pattern but a raised-port, but the size of the port I do not know if 1-3/4" round would cover the whole thing... 

I still have the cast manifolds at the moment, but might be looking to put headers on mine before Sebring to burn up some TCV dollars. You know, since I can't buy fuel because it is going to make the car faster (speed creep!) so I will just put parts on it that literally make it faster (no speed creep!)  :rolleyes:

4 people like this

10 hours ago, Bandit said:

Unfortunately it's an auto. However, Muncie's apparently don't fall out of trees anymore so may stuff the 4L60 in along with the LT1.

Saves you a few points if you go that route, too.  For a G-body, I've thought about a TH350 or TH200-4R.  Better gear ratios than the 4L60 IMHO, but I drive an underpowered pick-up.  Maybe it'd be fine in something that weighs a ton less.  Is one of the late 70s Saginaw boxes worth considering?  I know they came in El Caminos for a while.  Or find one of the rare Chrysler to GM bellhousings and put an A-833 in it!

1 person likes this

I think Wvumtnbkr said he ran a Saginaw behind a warmed over small block in a Malibu, so that may be a possibility. One would want to avoid drag starts and power shifts, but could be an option for road racing.

I have some feelers out for the Muncie M21, so will see what happens. Not sure how integrated the trans is with the engine electronics on these, so the 4L60 may just be easier to keep although I would much prefer a manual.

3 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I think Wvumtnbkr said he ran a Saginaw behind a warmed over small block in a Malibu, so that may be a possibility. One would want to avoid drag starts and power shifts, but could be an option for road racing.

I have some feelers out for the Muncie M21, so will see what happens. Not sure how integrated the trans is with the engine electronics on these, so the 4L60 may just be easier to keep although I would much prefer a manual.

Good point, I remember our very first "crap can" race (Lemons @ PBIR) we had an issue with that (we had the 4L60 for 1 event) and because we did not have the VSS hooked up and a different rear end gear/tire size it was hitting the speed limiter but we were really doing 70mph lol.

Laying in the grass, running on like 4 hours of sleep, swapping in some 2.73's a few hours before the start of a 24hr race. Brilliant! 

2 people like this

Been kicking around putting the Zeke's rear end with torque tube in as well.... Essentially a Monte SS with complete 94 Z drivetrain. B)

Have to measure rear end width.

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Good point, I remember our very first "crap can" race (Lemons @ PBIR) we had an issue with that (we had the 4L60 for 1 event) and because we did not have the VSS hooked up and a different rear end gear/tire size it was hitting the speed limiter but we were really doing 70mph lol.

Laying in the grass, running on like 4 hours of sleep, swapping in some 2.73's a few hours before the start of a 24hr race. Brilliant! 

This new (23 year old new) stuff is complicated. hah

Have any whine coming from the rear after that exercise? :D

1 person likes this

PintoDave-How have the brakes held up on yours? Was going to do the Vette brake swap but since I have all the Zeke parts... And another reason to just swap in the rear.

13 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Been kicking around putting the Zeke's rear end with torque tube in as well.... Essentially a Monte SS with complete 94 Z drivetrain. B)

Have to measure rear end width.

G-body with a torque arm suspension... I like where your head is at! Check out the setup on a GNX if you need  some inspiration. It ran a shorter torque arm setup under it.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Negative1 said:

G-body with a torque arm suspension... I like where your head is at! Check out the setup on a GNX if you need  some inspiration. It ran a shorter torque arm setup under it.

The G bod 4 link is a binding up mess. Torque arm and panhard bar would be a huge improvement.

58502169.jpg

3 people like this