61 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bandit said:

As far as breaking or shitty suspension? 

Breaking.

I've read that people make the suspension bad when they start stiffening control arms but don't change bushings (or worse, convert to urethane).  The arms were supposedly designed to twist from the factory.  Were I building one, I'd either box the arms and add some spherical bearings or just buy aftermarket control arms with heim joints.

1 person likes this

Bah -- go for a *really* obscure paint scheme:

12d24a1153c1a426a18ded20529cf0cf.jpg

:)

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, mender said:

Petty in the Full Monte:

[sigh] I am old enough to have seen that car being raced on live TV....

On 4/21/2017 at 10:51 AM, karman1970 said:

Breaking.

I've read that people make the suspension bad when they start stiffening control arms but don't change bushings (or worse, convert to urethane).  The arms were supposedly designed to twist from the factory.  Were I building one, I'd either box the arms and add some spherical bearings or just buy aftermarket control arms with heim joints.

Yeah. Just putting poly in is counterproductive as it just locks the rear not allowing it to twist.

1 person likes this

In the mini stock (Fox body) 4 links we'd run urethane in the lowers since the angle of attack was reasonably straight then leave stock mushy rubber in the tops. 

2 people like this

11 hours ago, pintodave said:

In the mini stock (Fox body) 4 links we'd run urethane in the lowers since the angle of attack was reasonably straight then leave stock mushy rubber in the tops. 

One step past that, we would leave the uppers loose.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

One step past that, we would leave the uppers loose.

We did that too :) 

A note about spherical bearings, just my opinion - yes you are smoothing out the action on one end of the control arm but you are not technically fixing the "controlled bind" issue. You still have the issue of the arm points wanting to change CL distance at the rear end housing over a given travel range since the arc paths are pointing away from each other. So now rather than have two bushings per arm taking up this "mistake", you are forcing all of the deflection to go thru one bushing. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just pointing out spherical bearings don't "fix" the problem, thus why I never got too excited about them.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Bandit said:

Two pickle forks. Might be enough... barely..

I thought this was a Pickle Fork:

7b0e6903d6ad865cdc82e7cceda2b923.jpg

:)