skierman64

I may have missed our scheduled Road America race, but I got to do this instead

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had to go to Germany for work, causing me to miss the race at Road America.  As a consulation, I got to do this.  

BMW 320i, 2.0L I-6, 5 speed automatic in sport mode, no-name all season tires.  Stock power, stock suspension.  

Edited by skierman64
4 people like this

<_<   The is the closest emoji that looks jealous to me !     :lol:

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, skierman64 said:

I had to go to Germany for work, causing me to miss the race at Road America.  As a consulation, I got to do this.  

BMW 320i, 2.0L I-6, 5 speed automatic in sport mode, no-name all season tires.  Stock power, stock suspension.  

Looks like a blast.

11 hours ago, Bandit said:

Looks like a blast.

It was, it's a difficult track to learn though. 

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

It was, it's a difficult track to learn though. 

Uhhhh, at 14 miles and 70+ corners... yeah I'd say so!:D

Cool video.  So much fun.

When I graduated University, a took a job behind a shovel for the summer. Worked my butt off but made good money. Paid off my debt and bought a one way ticket to Frankfurt to rent a Ford Fiesta and drive straight to the 'ring.  Gear head mecca. Great memories!

Edited by thewheelerZ
2 people like this

In the last 9 years, I have been over to Germany close to 15 times. I always like the idea of getting over to the ring, but never forced it into my schedule.

2 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

In the last 9 years, I have been over to Germany close to 15 times. I always like the idea of getting over to the ring, but never forced it into my schedule.

Really?   When I went over to Beijing I was originally scheduled to fly in Monday, present for two days then fly back Thursday.  Seriously?  I will be 30 minutes from the Great Wall of China and I can't even go see it?  It was changed to Sunday to Saturday.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Really?   When I went over to Beijing I was originally scheduled to fly in Monday, present for two days then fly back Thursday.  Seriously?  I will be 30 minutes from the Great Wall of China and I can't even go see it?  It was changed to Sunday to Saturday.  

I could have made it happen on a couple trips, but prioritized others things for various reasons.

I have seen the Great Wall flying in to Beijing, but haven't been out to it. I did spend several hours exploring the Forbidden City. It's pretty cool to walk around a place so old that was closed off for so long.

Edited by JBgotM

2 hours ago, JBgotM said:

I could have made it happen on a couple trips, but prioritized others things for various reasons.

I have seen the Great Wall flying in to Beijing, but haven't been out to it. I did spend several hours exploring the Forbidden City. It's pretty cool to walk around a place so old that was closed off for so long.

The city of Trier is 88 kilometers {55 miles} South of Nurburgring. {1/2 an hour by Autobahn speeds}

There is a section of the Porta Nigra {Towering stone Roman gate} that survived from the time of the Roman Empire.

As well, the oldest Christian church in Europe is a short walk from the gate.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:16 PM, JBgotM said:

If you fly into Franfurt it is less than 2 hours to the ring. Hard to pass that up in my book.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:57 PM, skierman64 said:

If you fly into Franfurt it is less than 2 hours to the ring. Hard to pass that up in my book.

Yeah, I usually fly into Frankfurt. I am headed back later this summer, maybe I can fit it in.

I have been to the Mercedes Museum, Porsche Museum, Sinsheim Auto & Tecknik Muesum, etc. All of them were really awesome.

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

Take an extra half day and do it!  Most evenings there are tourist sessions too.   I rented from these guys, great guys!  Rent 4 Ring

Germany is on the bucket list - beer and automotive mecca for sure........ might need like 3-4 weeks to see all the stuff I want to see! 

Edit:

Video is spectacular! The mini van in the last stretch :lol::lol::lol: Fantastic!!!

Questions:

- how much to rent a car for a lap and what selection is generally available?

- did you bring your own video gear or was that provided?

So it looks like a 10:49 in a 2.0 BMW is the current Chumpcar record :ph34r:

Edited by pintodave
1 person likes this

Rent4ring site has those answers, basically 100e for a slightly above chumped car (think improved touring) and 40e per lap.  Track section is as per top gear van lap.

3 hours ago, pintodave said:

Germany is on the bucket list - beer and automotive mecca for sure........ might need like 3-4 weeks to see all the stuff I want to see! 

Edit:

Video is spectacular! The mini van in the last stretch :lol::lol::lol: Fantastic!!!

Questions:

- how much to rent a car for a lap and what selection is generally available?

- did you bring your own video gear or was that provided?

So it looks like a 10:49 in a 2.0 BMW is the current Chumpcar record :ph34r:

I figure that minivan probably 280+ horsepower to our 170. But it was decently driven and I had the BMW floored in the section where I was trying to catch him on that curvy straight. This was my buddy's car so like mcewena said look on rent-4-ring to see what rental prices are. There was a large selection of rent-4-ring cars sitting in the parking lot outside the entrance to the ring. I know one was a e92M3 but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind. If you're caught taking a regular rental car on the ring, that company usually will ban you for life from renting from them (supposedly there are spotted that will turn you in)

I brought my own GoPros, they don't want externally mounted cameras so anything inside is good. I used a CruiseCam to mount the camera on the seat back. I wish I'd set up a rear facing camera to catch the nice cars as they were passing me.  

10:49 is easily beatable.  I recommend spending a few hours on iracing before going to the ring so you can make the laps count and you're not wasting time just learning it.  Divide the track into ~4 sections and repeat them a few times to learn it quicker. I had it down in my head pretty well except the part between the 2 carousels. 

Beware of Adenauer Forst

Edited by skierman64
2 people like this