jmcfarland

Ran When Parked!

6 posts in this topic

Just getting into the game! Was baptized at the Watkins Glen event this year (2017) and thought everyone was nuts! Coming from SCCA club racing I was looking to see if Chump was something for me. I kept shaking my head. No, too much. Too involved. Saw lots of people pouring over cars in the garage. Rebuilding engines and transmissions overnight. Swapping them out. This was insane. I said I'm not doing this! Too much of a commitment. But now I can't stop thinking about how much fun this was.

The Protege was purchased from a friend that was in the ITA group that I would hang with at Mid Ohio. The price was right and my long time friend Bob Marano wanted to get back into racing. We were doing the math and figured with a little help we could do this on a budget. I know there is no such thing as cheap racing, but the quest for us would be to do as much as possible with as little as possible. Little to no more investment into the car as it sits with general wear items to only deal with. K.I.S.S. and finish and have fun. Then go from there. 

So the plan is for 2018 to hit a couple of races with some other friends to help us do this. We promise to move over for you!

chump photo.jpg

9 people like this

welcome and good luck

1 person likes this

You'll find many ex scca guys here.  You drove a prod car correct  VW ?   If you want to have maximum track time and fun for minimum $$$  you discovered the right organization.   Well run  events with just a hand full of  officials.  Proof that you don't need a chief for every little thing.  The entire Chump staff are some of the  most well organized people I have delt with in the racing industry.   Welcome and enjoy your new playground.

1 person likes this

That's me. I still have an ITA Nissan that I run. I would imagine this can be done cost effectively if you just keep your focus on keeping things frugal. There's no intent to win. Just be able to get a group together and enjoy. 

I think you will far exceed your expectations with Chump.  GO have some fun .

We've been starting our clean-up. Getting rid of the simple stuff first. I think we've taken 25 pounds of sound deadening already! Even in IT trim it was 250 pounds heavy!

trunk cleaning.jpg

clean trunk.jpg