Aleru

The Wilwood Grand Prix Laguna Seca

29 posts in this topic

I would like to express my thanks to the Eracing team for posting this awesome video. After breaking a crankshaft at Friday's practice session, completing a 10:00pm to 2:00 am engine swap (Friday afternoon California freeway traffic delayed delivery of replacement engine), breaking a stub axle and exploding a clutch on Saturday, we were grateful to be back on track on Sunday.  The Eracing crew were a phenomenal addition to the paddock all weekend (don't those guys ever walk-what's with this "running everywhere" thing?), and raced us clean all weekend.  They also helped load our wounded car on the trailer!  (I would like to extend our apologies to Mark Owen and the Acura team-looks like i am buying more beer again.  Our driver has been flogged and is duly remorseful and repentant).  Our car is stripped and will head to body shop this Friday, new drive train parts are already arriving and the crankshaft replacement is underway.  See you at Buttonwillow for our third "last time we are racing this car because the new one is coming" event.

IMG_1194.JPG

4 people like this

23 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

I would like to express my thanks to the Eracing team for posting this awesome video. After breaking a crankshaft at Friday's practice session, completing a 10:00pm to 2:00 am engine swap (Friday afternoon California freeway traffic delayed delivery of replacement engine), breaking a stub axle and exploding a clutch on Saturday, we were grateful to be back on track on Sunday.  The Eracing crew were a phenomenal addition to the paddock all weekend (don't those guys ever walk-what's with this "running everywhere" thing?), and raced us clean all weekend.  They also helped load our wounded car on the trailer!  (I would like to extend our apologies to Mark Owen and the Acura team-looks like i am buying more beer again.  Our driver has been flogged and is duly remorseful and repentant).  Our car is stripped and will head to body shop this Friday, new drive train parts are already arriving and the crankshaft replacement is underway.  See you at Buttonwillow for our third "last time we are racing this car because the new one is coming" event.

What's the new car? The other Z you mentioned finding or a different platform?

We have another numbers matching, barn find Z car.  It's a 1978 280Z so it starts out a little heavier.  We are trying to apply our "lessons learned" to save weight and make it easier to work on--and we are hoping the extra 400cc gives us another 10% torque.  We watched Mad Greek Racing win the Chumpionship three years ago in a car with the 2,800cc engine, and it was a real "stump puller".  Also, the R200 differential should be more durable than the R180 that came in the 240Z.  If I can "dial back" my drivers and convince them it's not a 20 minute sprint race (they race a lot of VARA and SCCA stuff on the side), we might stop breaking parts and cause less crash damage.

1 person likes this

I'd have to say that the 280Z is one of my top picks - this year. :)