Chumptech2017

Castrol Laptimes

10 posts in this topic

Looks like NNM swept the weekend.

1 person likes this

On 8/6/2017 at 11:13 PM, mender said:

Looks like NNM swept the weekend.

True!

This race was by far our best ever!  Very little mechanical downtime and most of the time on the track.  We've all been to Castrol a few times now and have that place mostly figured out!

Even the mechanical problems we did have were relatively minor and didn't cost us much time.  But last year we lost 2 trannies there and this year we only lost 4th gear near the end of the race...

I'm currently attempting to do file recovery on the SD Card that was in my Hero Session...This stupid thing doesn't seem to want to work right.  Worked in Brainerd 3 weeks ago on the Sunday...I'm gonna read the book for it cover to cover and resist using it for baseball batting practice...

We blew a fuel pump Saturday, otherwise Saturday would have been a great day...We started using lots of oil Saturday and did not know where it was going. It was obvious Sunday morning, turbo seals. We had to switch turbos Sunday as 3 quarts of oil in a 2 hour stint is too much. The replaced turbo provided little boost so we were slow Sunday, and got slower when we grenaded the transmission, slow like in dead stopped :(. Trans is locked up bad we had to winch the car into the trailer. The AWD is bound up and we needed the dollies to get the car out of the trailer. We are guessing the big oil spill corner 1,2 we our trans fluid but are not certain.

7 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

Where was the Fiero this weekend?

About the same place it has been since the race last year, up on a hoist with lots of engines and stuff underneath. Haven't had the time this year, seems like every weekend I decide it's time to work on it, something comes up and it gets delayed again.

Good to hear you had a clean weekend, I know you've had some bad ones!

1 person likes this

We had an OK weekend:

Saturday was the first race with the new engine.  The throttle had stuck a couple of times so we pitted to find I put the back-up return spring on upside down so it was acting like a throttle in-return spring as it would catch on something.  Lost a couple of minutes finding that.  After a spin the temp was climbing so we pitted to brush off the rad but the temp was still climbing.  Pitted again to blow air through the rad and it seemed fine so we cut out a piece of the front facia, the change was amazing, before it was slowly climbing to 230 and after it hardly makes it to 190.  Only removed the 2" middle strip.  We were chasing down second place and catching them, unfortunately we caught a passing under yellow and that left us in third place to finish out the race.

When rolling back to the pits I could hear something loose, it sounds like maybe a broken exhaust hanger so we decide to fix it in the morning.  We jack it up and find the upper control arm mount ripped out of the body, the exhaust was also hung from this location.  We decide it is not a repair we want to do in the pits so we didn't run Sunday.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, mender said:

About the same place it has been since the race last year, up on a hoist with lots of engines and stuff underneath. Haven't had the time this year, seems like every weekend I decide it's time to work on it, something comes up and it gets delayed again.

Good to hear you had a clean weekend, I know you've had some bad ones!

You had the best view of the worst one... #ouch.

1 person likes this

Missed you at Castrol Brent.   Just doesn't seem right with out you there.    Will you be there next year?

ST Racing continues to improve and was our best weekend too.   We had zero issues with the car and our novice drivers are picking up their pace and improving consistency.  

We were able to keep the car on the track the whole time.   Now we need to figure out the fuel starvation issues.  We get 1.5 hours a tank.   The surge tank just didn't make it onto the to do list as we ran out of time as well.   I think we are starting to become competitive now.   7th place this year.   Will we make it to top 5 next year?

We had a great time again.   Super folks at the track, Wendy and Sal provide a great venue to race.  

As a side note and depending upon how you look at it, Team Slovo handed us 1st in C class by deciding to take on the tire wall and lost.  Glad nobody got hurt, they went in hard.  Never know what may happen.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mudflap said:

Missed you at Castrol Brent.   Just doesn't seem right with out you there.    Will you be there next year?

Would have liked to be there, too much going on this year. We'll see about next year though!

I was checking Race Monitor, you guys did great!