Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Scrappy Grappler

Maximum Entries at Road America

Recommended Posts

ABR-Glen    1,812

In 2013 there were 94 entries and 87 cars on track.

 

Pit lane space is more of a limitation than the number of cars/mile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
red0    3,890
Just now, ABR-Glen said:

In 2013 there were 94 entries and 87 cars on track.

 

Pit lane space is more of a limitation than the number of cars/mile. 

 

GORT met his end that event. 

 

394Qm3p.gif
 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ABR-Glen    1,812

I think that was the time it rained at the very end of the race. The track was super slick and  the risk/reward was huge with many spins/offs covered only by local yellows. You could make up (or lose) a lot of ground and of course many of the drivers were just tiptoeing around that close to the end of a long race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JBgotM    1,047
Just now, ABR-Glen said:

I think that was the time it rained at the very end of the race. The track was super slick and  the risk/reward was huge with many spins/offs covered only by local yellows. You could make up (or lose) a lot of ground and of course many of the drivers were just tiptoeing around that close to the end of a long race. 

Was that the one where the freak sleet/snow came in for about 10 minutes? I remember going down to Canada Corner and watching some entertaining scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
red0    3,890
12 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

Was that the one where the freak sleet/snow came in for about 10 minutes? I remember going down to Canada Corner and watching some entertaining scenes.

 

The 2011 race had lots of snow. Watching Alex Bellus was entertaining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
red0    3,890
7 minutes ago, miatainium said:

How does the track handle disabled cars?  FCYs or hot pulls?  Something else?

 

Pfff, yellow? Road America doesn't even go yellow for disabled cars sitting on the race line. 

 

They do hot pulls very well. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hotchkis23    359
6 minutes ago, miatainium said:

How does the track handle disabled cars?  FCYs or hot pulls?  Something else?

The extreme opposite of Watkins Glenn...  Safety team will tell you at the drivers meeting they are used to pulling Indy cars, just give them space.  Sometimes the Safety truck will pass Chumpcars at speed.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miatainium    247
9 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

The extreme opposite of Watkins Glenn...  Safety team will tell you at the drivers meeting they are used to pulling Indy cars, just give them space.  Sometimes the Safety truck will pass Chumpcars at speed.

That's great news.  WGI is great but the FCYs for pulls really breaks up the action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ABR-Glen    1,812

They really only go FCY if there is oil down that they need to put the sweepers out for. 

 

If you go, make sure to stop up in the control tower and watch how the team works the cameras/radios, it's pretty impressive. It will make you really want to not F-up on track when you realize how many people are watching/talking about you :P

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
red0    3,890
2 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

They really only go FCY if there is oil down that they need to put the sweepers out for. 

 

If you go, make sure to stop up in the control tower and watch how the team works the cameras/radios, it's pretty impressive. It will make you really want to not F-up on track when you realize how many people are watching/talking about you :P

 

I went to watch the replay after the off I had in WRL and was so surprised that they didn't go yellow entering the carousel when there was a disabled car on track at exit. The car had been disabled and sitting on track for over a minute when I got there.  

 

If there was a yellow entering the turn, I certainly would not have been full counter-lock on the wheel when I saw the yellow and disable car at track out. 

 

Now I am a bit bitter about the flagging in that turn, however it is normally amazingly good at the entire track. I have always considered it the best in the nation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hotchkis23    359

They do a great job with the Blue/Yellow flag too.  They tend to keep track of the faster cars so do pay attention to it.  Also, PUY will be caught here as they have cameras and spotters EVERYWHERE!

 

Wish I was racing this one, but I will at least be there working with our team so can't wait to watch it play out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Racer28173    447
1 hour ago, red0 said:

 

I went to watch the replay after the off I had in WRL and was so surprised that they didn't go yellow entering the carousel when there was a disabled car on track at exit. The car had been disabled and sitting on track for over a minute when I got there.  

 

If there was a yellow entering the turn, I certainly would not have been full counter-lock on the wheel when I saw the yellow and disable car at track out. 

 

Now I am a bit bitter about the flagging in that turn, however it is normally amazingly good at the entire track. I have always considered it the best in the nation.   

Flaggers, like drivers, occasionally make a mistake.  :)   They initially missed putting out a yellow for the plum crazy car that spun just over the rise at the left hander before the last corner.  That probably helped cause the hit that they got.  However, even with that mistake, I still think that race weekend had some of the best flagging I have seen.  

Flaggers, like every other thing in racing, can fail.  I used to go 10/10ths everywhere because I had ultimate faith in flaggers, my tires, the differential seal on the car in front of me, etc.   Now I try to keep a little in reserve for those surprises that invariably come......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bandit    811
10 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

Sometimes the Safety truck will pass Chumpcars at speed.

Might be why Chump is against Chevy truck motors in the race cars. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dewey Havta    19

I remember watching the safety truck at RA heading to Canada corne... SumBitch pulled at least 4 car lengths on me !!! :o

 

Drag your brakes on flat tows or you'll have a diamond plate embossed bumper/hood. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×