Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ChumpCar

Back from the 24 Hours of Desert Dysfunction

15 posts in this topic

Hi Chumps!

Just back (well, that is if 2am this morning counts as "just")... and I'm here to report that we had a GREAT race and a GREAT weekend. With a couple of late entries, we had 22 cars take part in the festivities; however, as some of the posts and Tweets reported, for some, there wasn't a lot of "festive" in the festivities ("Just Putting Along." BMW #94 comes to mind)

The Streets track turned out to be better than expected (and I look forward to reading other driver reports). I found the longer, 14-turn, 1.8-mile course to be arhythmic (no real cadence or rhythm to it) but technically challenging. Some great tight corners and some turns that opened up nicely. Lots of late apexing on off-camber pavement. Fun stuff! The shorter, 10-turn, 1.4-mile course (used from 6pm - 7am) had more timing to it and seemed to allow more dicing. On both courses, tire management was critical; brakes were not a problem.

Where the large-bore cars could open it up on the front and back straights, it took torque to come off the slow corners just before the straights... a great equalizer. Therefore, the lighter, faster revving cars (Geo Metro Gnome and RX-7) may have had a slight advantage... especially if they applied some "fancy-drivin' crap" coming into those slower corners -- diamond turns, power-up early and no drifting that would scrub-off speed.

Weather was perfect -- warm during the day, no wind (miraculous for Willow Springs!), clear with a full moon... and "crisp" at night. I was taking the Chief Steward stint from 3:00am - 7:00am when the low temperature was for the recorded -- 29 degrees at 4:32am. However, it was dry and so ice or major frost was not an issue.

Lloyd and Dave were doing their Safety-Tech and Penalties thing... but, overall, they were bored silly. No major issues at all during tech inspection and I believe that we threw a TOTAL of 11 Black Flags for the entire 24-hour event (which included one each for the race-winning #11 Team Eyesore Miata and the #00 Geo Metro Gnome -- no favoritism played at ChumpCar!). We had 7 Meatball (mechanical-issue) Black Flags during the event and only 4 full-course cautions -- all of which were at night (for safety reasons while a wrecker or other emergency vehicle was on course to attend to a stalled or broken car).

Racey Diva (Cathy) was running the media circus, coordinating the hospitality (38 gallons of coffee consumed! That's almost 8 dump cans!) and working registration -- as well as working behind the scenes with the race team that her son was driving for.

Cliff & Karen prepared all the meals for the staff, corner workers and emergency services folks.

Erik was working registration and timing & scoring (with great thanks to PARID who came and helped out in every imaginable way!) and he, too, was working/driving/cursing/fixing/cursing the #80 Free Range MR2 as it competed on track... falling to 2 blows CV joints and an eventual ventilated cylinder block.

Meanwhile, Ron and I just checked in at the hotel and sampled some wine & cheese all weekend. Easy stuff when you've got a great crew to do all the work for you.

Well, I look forward to reading all the reports and feedback on the event... and I'm re-packing the trailer for Rockingham! NC -- here's come ChumpCar!

All the best -

John

Sounds Awsome! Hopefully will make it next year to this event.

Hey Chumps!

I came out to Willow to see what your series is all about and to take in the West Coast version of THE 24 Hour Race (Daytona was running at the same time). Yes there was at least a couple of spectators at Willow. I found your event interesting and entertaining in it's own way. As the series grows I hope to see more participants as well as a way for spectators to keep up with the standings as the race goes on. Willow has no P. A. system at that course. I did get some pics from both days and will try to post later.

Thanks for coming to the Antelope Valley and Willow Springs. Thanks to each of the participants also.

There is another engine ready for it. I think there might even be more spares in erik's shop. I'd hate to see it die like this. It's a great car. I think it will get fixed.

When it does go, something glorious needs to happen.

Viking funeral? There'a a boat ramp 1/2 a mile from my shop. Oh wait, the car lives at the coast now.:lol:

Have no fear, it will live to ride another day. That day, however, is a long, long time from now :)

Bah, I'll have it running for the swap meet in April... I just need to find a *good* source for CVs... because the one that I bought before the race was CLEARLY wrong.

Well, you may have trouble kicking the meth dealer out of the car. He kinda likes it. Loves the aluminized ducting for getting rid of the wash-out. His dog also likes the shifter cables. Gives him something to chew on...

The car now rests on my RV pad. It's been here 36 hours... and just like the ACID TEST calls for, all 4 things have already happened. :D

John

Every time I show up at your house, I dump another piece of @#$% off in your driveway... and yet your wife just keeps smiling...

You sir, have one heck of a lady.

Viking funeral? There'a a boat ramp 1/2 a mile from my shop. Oh wait, the car lives at the coast now.:lol:

Y'know, there's a Theme Idea there: "Viking Funeral Motorsports". Find a $500 Volvo wagon, doll it up like a hearse, put horns on the hood....

. o O ( WHERE DO I COME UP WITH THIS S***!? AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! ) [multiple-headdesk]

Y'know, there's a Theme Idea there: "Viking Funeral Motorsports". Find a $500 Volvo wagon, doll it up like a hearse, put horns on the hood....

. o O ( WHERE DO I COME UP WITH THIS S***!? AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! ) [multiple-headdesk]

Hey, I just checked on my Volvo 740 turbo wagon ,should have it streetable in 2 weeks! That would be a cool theme!

Hey, I just checked on my Volvo 740 turbo wagon ,should have it streetable in 2 weeks! That would be a cool theme!

Deck it out like a Viking long boat