I live in northern Arizona around Prescott Valley, and I just found out about this ChumpCar stuff and it sounds like something I really want to get involved in. Is there anyone in Arizona that are ChumpCar racers or teams that a new guy could set up a meet and pick your brain about?

There are a couple of teams in the Phoenix area, but not much around you.

Check out this thread for more info:

Thank you sir, yeah I figured most if not all would be there, I wouldn't mind driving down to Phoenix if there ever was a meet up, I can always find things to do down there, but I will keep looking through the threads for people and teams to talk to.

I live in northern Arizona around Prescott Valley, and I just found out about this ChumpCar stuff and it sounds like something I really want to get involved in. Is there anyone in Arizona that are ChumpCar racers or teams that a new guy could set up a meet and pick your brain about?

Hi Ron,

A team in North Phx is sending two Miata's to COTA. I signed up to drive, and I think he has more slots.

• Like 1

Thanks Roland,

I want to watch a race first, I have never driven in a track and i would hate to cost some one a better finish because I am so slow and I would hate hate hate to wreck someones car.

that and I don't have any of the safety gear yet, but I will be sure to  look them up at the track and pick their brains.

We are most likely going to be running the Las Vegas 13 hour overnight race in May.

Not that far from you - come on over and we can chat, and you can get an idea what's up with this type of racing.

• Like 1

@Slugworks Paul recently moved to Yuma and brought his DSM with him. 

Unfortunately I'm a little ways from N. Arizona. 

I'll be visiting wild horse pass/AMP a few times with my car for track days, you're welcome to come pick my brain. I started racing chumpcar in 2010.

Thanks Roland,

I want to watch a race first, I have never driven in a track and i would hate to cost some one a better finish because I am so slow and I would hate hate hate to wreck someones car.

that and I don't have any of the safety gear yet, but I will be sure to  look them up at the track and pick their brains.

For some track time go to NASAaz.com

Our next event is March 11/12 at Wild Horse Pass. They have an intro class on Saturday. You can take any car out there - I took a Prius in January.

They have loaner helmets too.

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I'll be visiting wild horse pass/AMP a few times with my car for track days, you're welcome to come pick my brain. I started racing chumpcar in 2010.

Paul,

I often instruct for NASA AZ, as well as run in their 944 SPEC series. Look for the red 924S #124 (There are 2 of these cars, but only one with #124 :) ) next time you are up here.

• Like 1

I decided to finally put an SFI/FIA rated fuel cell in my car (had a non-rated Jegs circle track cell which I was probably lucky to even have been allowed to race with) and it turned into a fuel system overhaul. Looking to get that wrapped up and out on the track before it's TOO hot (might be too late!)

I'll come find you if so, what's your name?

13 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I decided to finally put an SFI/FIA rated fuel cell in my car (had a non-rated Jegs circle track cell which I was probably lucky to even have been allowed to race with) and it turned into a fuel system overhaul. Looking to get that wrapped up and out on the track before it's TOO hot (might be too late!)

Complete opposite problem you had while in Minnesota, huh? I think I'm about ready for trading snow shoveling, and being couped up inside for  half the year, for excessive perspiration.... ?

We need more teams in AZ as my kid and grandson live in the Valley. I would HAVE to do a live media event at a Phoenix race. 

If only....

WHP is basically crap. Two tracks that are barely over 1 mile long, with zero facilities. LeMons ran at WHP West back in 2010, and said they would not come back.

AMP has sound restrictions plus everyone cannot be on the property before 8AM, and must be off it by 5PM, including cars.

You will need to wait for some of these magical new tracks to show up in the PHX area before it will be worthwhile to race here.

Gotcha, haven't been to either yet so wasn't aware of those issues.

I've heard rumblings about a new track or two in the area, what do you know about those?

I used to race at Firebird when I lived there in the 80s. Is that not an option anymore?

Also PIR had an ok road course. Then we had the UHaul test track that was fun. Anyone let us race on the Chrysler proving grounds track?

On 3/18/2017 at 9:17 AM, Bill Strong said:

I used to race at Firebird when I lived there in the 80s. Is that not an option anymore?

Firebird == Wild Horse Pass.

I know where there's a GM test track that would be super convenient for me :D