Mike.g

ROAD AMERICA: Double 8: The Landjaeger Cup

6 hours ago, csadn said:

An Audi 200TQ? Man, that's some obscure sheet metal.

Also noting all the E30s and E36s hogging the podium.... >:)

CC has successfully eliminated most of the BMWs from the midwest.  

13 hours ago, csadn said:

An Audi 200TQ? Man, that's some obscure sheet metal.

Also noting all the E30s and E36s hogging the podium.... >:)

The Audi has been around Chump for several years.  It fits the teams name, and pretty stinking fast. 

15 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Who saw that coming? :ph34r:

The memo on BMW's must not have made it to the East Coast...... 21% of the 125 car field @ Daytona was a Bimmer product.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pintodave said:

The memo on BMW's must not have made it to the East Coast...... 21% of the 125 car field @ Daytona was a Bimmer product.

This points up an unfortunate reality of CC at the moment -- it is evolving into three distinct regional groups, rather than a unified whole.

15 hours ago, csadn said:

This points up an unfortunate reality of CC at the moment -- it is evolving into three distinct regional groups, rather than a unified whole.

Where the hell have you been for the last 5 years?

Duh.....

15 hours ago, csadn said:

I'm not sure I see why it's unfortunate?  What's popular in the East Central and West, not to mention the North vs. South Florida vs Washington state, etc etc has pretty much always been different.   

6 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

I'm not sure I see why it's unfortunate?  What's popular in the East Central and West, not to mention the North vs. South Florida vs Washington state, etc etc has pretty much always been different.   

The problem arises in trying to write *one* set of rules for multiple distinct regions -- what works well in the Southeast doesn't fly in the Northwest, and vice versa.

"Do you want 200-page threads of rules arguments? Because that's how you get 200-page threads of rules arguments."

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 10:12 PM, skierman64 said:

It looks like all the BMWs went to Mid-Ohio instead of Road America.  11 of 40 vs 5 of ~45.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csadn said:

The problem arises in trying to write *one* set of rules for multiple distinct regions -- what works well in the Southeast doesn't fly in the Northwest, and vice versa.

"Do you want 200-page threads of rules arguments? Because that's how you get 200-page threads of rules arguments."

I think I understand where your at a little better now.    I think the Midwest is still strong.  I think it's s little harder for the Midwest for the simple fact there are fewer people., and tracks are relatively far away from most of us.  And scheduling the last couple of years has been somewhat on conflicting, with races that are possibilities,  too close together.  Like Road America and Mid Ohio 1 day apart 

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, csadn said:

Why are different sets of rules needed for different reasons?  That isn't even logical in my book.  Can you give an example of what would be a rule written for different regions?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Why are different sets of rules needed for different reasons?  That isn't even logical in my book.  Can you give an example of what would be a rule written for different regions?

E36 325 in the Midwest is 430 points because there are so many teams that have gone to other series and want to show the Midwest bimmers some love.

E36 325 in the East is 540 points because they just don't like those no-turn-signalling-uppity-kraut-loving race cars down in them there parts.

5 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

E36 325 in the Midwest is 430 points because there are so many teams that have gone to other series and want to show the Midwest bimmers some love.

E36 325 in the East is 540 points because they just don't like those no-turn-signalling-uppity-kraut-loving race cars down in them there parts.

Wouldn't that drive non-e36 guys away in the midwest?  If I was one of those non-e36 guys, I'd be pissed.  

It used to be that the Regional director had the ability to adjust penalty laps.  

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 1

One set of rules is fine.  Where they are now seems pretty good to me.  But preferences in different areas may make diff cars popular in diff areas.    

3 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

According to the VPI lookup, https://www.chumpcar.com/vpi.php

An E36 325 with either the M50B25 {1991 to 1995} or M52B25 {1995 to 2001} is 500 points.

An E36 328 with the M52B28 {1995 to 1998} is 530 points.

3 hours ago, thomasp said:

According to the VPI lookup, https://www.chumpcar.com/vpi.php

An E36 325 with either the M50B25 {1991 to 1995} or M52B25 {1995 to 2001} is 500 points.

An E36 328 with the M52B28 {1995 to 1998} is 530 points.

I think you missed his point.  He was saying as an example for different rules in different regions that CC should value e36 325s (m50b25) at 430 in the Midwest to draw us back from WRL and 540 in the east (were until this year there wasn't a lot of competition)

BTW, my turnsignals still work. 

1 minute ago, skierman64 said:

Same with my DD.. doesn't mean they get used :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, skierman64 said:

I think you missed his point.  He was saying as an example for different rules in different regions that CC should value e36 325s (m50b25) at 430 in the Midwest to draw us back from WRL and 540 in the east (were until this year there wasn't a lot of competition)

Pretty-much this -- I was also thinking of the rules disallowing anything with a whiff of "raciness" about them; certain areas have better access to that sort of thing than others, due to differences in local economies, as well as the location of the makers of such things. It would not be desirable for the rules to be rewritten such that teams could go "dumpster-diving" at Hendrick, or Bimmerworld, or whomever, as some people would have *far* easier access than others.

Mr. Christianson does make a valid point -- a given area may end up with a given make/model becoming preeminent (I'm surprised I don't see more Subarus up here). However, when the preeminence of that make/model leads to the rules being rewritten for the benefit of that group, it disadvantages those areas where said make/model might not be preeminent.

CC's already seen at least two splinter group secede from the union (LDRL, and WRL); if this keeps up, there won't be a recognizable unified "ChumpCar" .

You see... if you go chasing every team in the "budget endurance racing market" by changing the rules to try to draw each subset in (low point value for e36, big fuel tank size for another sector, $$ based swaps for another, etc.), you end up with a really crappy mess of rules which isn't good for anybody! And then everybody leaves.

Chump has done a good job in the last year of making a solid set of rules and they intend to keep them that way. Some teams won't like the rules, they will go elsewhere. Others like the rules and they will race with Chump. Looking at a tiny subset of teams (with a wide range of reasons for not racing with chumpcar) and making changes to draw them back in would be a terrible approach and I'm glad ChumpCar officials are keeping their heads above this low level noise.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, enginerd said:

You see... if you go chasing every team in the "budget endurance racing market" by changing the rules to try to draw each subset in (low point value for e36, big fuel tank size for another sector, $$ based swaps for another, etc.), you end up with a really crappy mess of rules which isn't good for anybody! And then everybody leaves.

This is a problem, but it's not completely unsolvable -- just bloody difficult (when the Big Point-Value Rewrite was occurring, I tried to address it; it took a lot of thinking). And up here in PNW, it appears it's nothing *but* "tiny subsets"; no make/model is predominant....

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, skierman64 said:

Makes sense, no wear. ;)

• Like 2