Hey everyone! 

I'm part of a team who will be new his year and i just wanted to ask what radio systems everyone is using, where you bought it, and what is the most inexpensive way to get a radio system. Also if anyone has any use radio or headset we would be very interested. 

Racing Radios is now the "official" Chumpcar sponsor for radio systems.

Read through this topic for more info. (Click on the link below.)

@Shawn Sampson, and his company, Sampson Racing Communications were listed as a Chumpcar sponsor until last year some time. Sampson continues to offer 15% discount to Chumpcar teams.

If you place your question in that topic, I'm sure Shawn will answer within a day, which is what he always does. In fact, since I tagged him on this post, he may even reply here....

Shawn and his team have a wealth of experience that they are always willing to share. Definitely one of the best companies out there in regards to customer support... His systems are also priced better than anything else I've seen offered.

Edited by mcoppola

+2 on Sampson.

We tried to put something cheap together for our first year, but it sucked in the end.  We went ahead and bought a full system from them in year 2 and aren't looking back.  If you can handle the up front investment, it will be cheaper in the end to just buy a good system.

• Like 1

Ok thanks a lot guys! I did see his posts but wasn't sure if the discount transferred to Canadian teams. Really appreciate the input!!! 

Perry Performance sell the Racing Radio kits.

You can buy cheaper, but in the end you will get frustrated with lack of range and clarity.

For those who have tried several kits, the real deal is what you want.

You can call me or email for details.

Many teams do run Sampson. They definitely have a very affordable plug n play option. 

However if you have any kind of electronics experience (aka reading instructions for a programmable radio) you can get a good setup for a fraction of the cost. 

We started with the basic set from Sampson. Found it a bit limiting and upgraded to Baofeng programmable radios, external antenna for the car and just used the helmet mic's and the PTT from the Sampson system. Otherwise we scrapped the rest of it. 

Sampson has a great product for plug n play. Not the be all end all though.

• Like 1

I gotta get us better radios.  I'd say we got 1/2 track coverage wherever we go.  

Can't say I really mind, 1/2 the information we get over the radio is bad news.... so I think the situation is actually limiting the bad news.   :D

Edited by Ham Sammich
  • Like 1

any body ever use a cell phone setup?  cell phones are so cheap there must be something that can be done.

47 minutes ago, theblue said:

any body ever use a cell phone setup?  cell phones are so cheap there must be something that can be done.

Texting back and forth is a good idea, that way there's no static in the communications. 

• Like 3

I mean have a call connected the whole time muted, and either end pushes to unmute.  or something creative

1 hour ago, theblue said:

I mean have a call connected the whole time muted, and either end pushes to unmute.  or something creative

I'd be on mute and likely get a text from daughter arguing about who should clean up the cat barf in the hallway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ham Sammich said:

I'd be on mute and likely get a text from daughter arguing about who should clean up the cat barf in the hallway.

Wait a second, we can put you on mute?  If only we had that option a few years ago...:D  All good now.

• Like 1

As funny as all this is it could be possible to just leave the phone call on and use a set of i-phone headphones with a mic in the helmet. Then the call just stays connected to one crew member the whole time and that crew member could just mute it on his end so the driver doesn't here everything. 

Though I feel like this is just something that should not be done lol!

Edited by Christian

Need unlimited minutes but otherwise yeah.  Our radio's sucked they would keep squelching (I guess u call) and we had no mic's so we were using the PTT to alert pit's.  Just hit it a bunch of time's to say ur coming in worked ok sat then radio's got even worse sunday.  We just used headlight's on as the signal on sunday.  Considering stops weren't timed we had a couple where is everyone stop's but I guess cause they weren't timed it was ok only lost a bit of time rather then 5 mins.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:39 AM, theblue said:

A few problems with this, the microphone will pickup tons of background wind and car noise.  You won't be able to talk clearly with the driver.  Also, depending on the event and track cellphone coverage can be spotty or overloaded.  At WGI in May Bill Strong was having problems with the cell data streaming and even maintaining a voice connection for the ChumpCast. 

IMO reliable, clear, and constant communication between driver and crew is a key priority for teams that want to do well.