Bill Strong

Red Flag Video #13 West Coast Updates and Daytona

I guess we will never agree on anything unless if I say something asinine like @dogtired is a handsome fellow... although I have never met you and my wheels don't turn in that direction.:lol:

Edited by Ron_e

14 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

I guess we will never agree on anything unless if I say something asinine like @dogtired is a handsome fellow... although I have never met you and my wheels don't turn in that direction.:lol:

I sir, am a sexy biotche... if you want to get with me....

I expect the same

10 hours ago, dogtired said:

Im sorry but the acronym "RA" belongs to the East Region.

It can belong to the east if you must but it still stands for Road America.......There  had probably been like a trillion miles of racing at Road America by the time Road Atlanta was even thought about.  

So carry on Ron, you're coming to RA in October?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ron_e said:

we're all good looking guys....

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

It can belong to the east if you must but it still stands for Road America.......There  had probably been like a trillion miles of racing at Road America by the time Road Atlanta was even thought about.  

So carry on Ron, you're coming to RA in October?

Yes signed up and coming with Docspeed.  Perhaps after I race there I can refer to it as RA.:D

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 9:55 PM, Team Infiniti said:

People spending what they do on a really competitive car should have no issue with a few hundred invested in displacement blocks...

My suggestion back when Bill G was trying to get numbers up in the was was on any cars with more than 2+ gallons over stock cells to limit their session times to 1:45.  Same result as displacement blocks without the risk of damaging things opening them up.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:07 PM, dogtired said:

I still don't understand why there needs to be West Coast rules exceptions.

Agree. No need for a different rule set.  I build to how I want to build and if Chump pulls a track I want to run but can't do as LDRL, I just go as EC.  Don't even bother writing up my build book.  Just tell them to put me in EC.  My guess is if Chump can survive and do tracks like Sonoma, there will be a decent number of LDRL cars that come over as EC and we may even end up with enough cars for our own podium. 

Other than that, I reward the league that most closely aligns with my approach.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 4:58 AM, dogtired said:

The tracks and the population are sparse.

This argument gets so old. Seriously East Coasters, you are not the center of the universe and we don't all live in TP's out here.  There are plenty of tracks and cars. 

Some people just don't like to be told no, and there seems to be a large number of them on the Left Coast.

This is the real issue and the leagues that have adapted to and embraced this are drawing 60+ car fields monthly. 

Once y'all quit asking "why should we build to these rules when they suck so badly" y'all will have solved your attendance issues.

Done and solved elsewhere.

20 hours ago, dogtired said:

1) They bitched about John

2) They bitched about the rules

Maybe it's because I was only around for the last two years of Chump when Cathy was in charge, but these were the only two I ever heard from other teams.  And as far as I'm concerned the new leadership has solved both of them.

20 hours ago, dogtired said:

let her wrangle the multitudes of Type A prima donnas in that region

I think the only thing she is wrangling now is getting rid of the chump "rubbin's racin'" attitude. I hear zero complaining about any other rules aside from maybe whining about not thinking you were classed fairly.

18 hours ago, csadn said:

Short Version: "We got tired of having to rebuild our cars every time some Easterner started whining about 'this should be free', or 'that should cost points

Exaclty. or when someone found a loophole in an existing rule that let them put a 400 HP motor in and only get charged 50 points and then to fix it a calculation just shy of an IRS tax form to figure out value was implemented.

16 hours ago, curtwill said:

not the same formula as chump but it is still good racing with good people

Exactly

2 hours ago, lenbo211 said:

My guess is if Chump can survive and do tracks like Sonoma, there will be a decent number of LDRL cars that come over as EC and we may even end up with enough cars for our own podium. 

Has not worked historically for drawing teams to western ChumpCar races.

Edited by Ron_e

3 hours ago, lenbo211 said:

My suggestion back when Bill G was trying to get numbers up in the was was on any cars with more than 2+ gallons over stock cells to limit their session times to 1:45.  Same result as displacement blocks without the risk of damaging things opening them up.

Out of all the rule tweaks and ideas, this is the only one that could solve this issue on all fronts!

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

To be perfectly honest (and I admit this is purely speculation on my part): I think LDRL is what The First Boss was aiming for CC to be in the first place -- someplace where the "lower end"[*] of SCCA|ICSCC|NASA could come and get a year's worth of racing in one weekend; he just wasn't that good at *expressing* that idea.

[*: "Lower end" here meaning cars like the small-bore Production classes, or the Spec production-cars, or the very-lightly-modified pony-cars in AS -- stuff which takes no less than 1:30 to lap a 2-mile course.]

If, by some miracle, the next rules iteration could allow for that, one might well see the car-counts out West up where Cathy's crowd is.

But that's just me speculating.

1 hour ago, csadn said:

To be perfectly honest (and I admit this is purely speculation on my part): I think LDRL is what The First Boss was aiming for CC to be in the first place -- someplace where the "lower end"[*] of SCCA|ICSCC|NASA could come and get a year's worth of racing in one weekend; he just wasn't that good at *expressing* that idea.

[*: "Lower end" here meaning cars like the small-bore Production classes, or the Spec production-cars, or the very-lightly-modified pony-cars in AS -- stuff which takes no less than 1:30 to lap a 2-mile course.]

If, by some miracle, the next rules iteration could allow for that, one might well see the car-counts out West up where Cathy's crowd is.

But that's just me speculating.

So, basically..... no BMWs... yeh, I get it.

2 hours ago, dogtired said:

Has Lemons lost their hate for Beemers?

I recall that was a thing.

23 minutes ago, Bandit said:

They like them if you gut it and drape a Cadillac DeVille body over top of it. Preferably a hump back version.

Edited by rod rammage
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rod rammage said:

They like them if you gut it and drape a Cadillac DeVille body over top of it. Preferably a hump back version.

I ASSume you are refering to the bustleback Seville.

Btw A 79 Seville could be made into a dominant car methinks.

Ps They're not the same car.

47 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I ASSume you are refering to the bustleback Seville.

Btw A 79 Seville could be made into a dominant car methinks.

Ps They're not the same car.

Ooops. I meant the Seville bustleback. My malaise era vintage Cadillac memory failed me  in that post. Had a customer with one still going strong in the late 90's. 

Edited by rod rammage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

No, but we were early adopters....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rod rammage said:

Ooops. I meant the Seville bustleback. My malaise era vintage Cadillac memory failed me  in that post. Had a customer with one still going strong in the late 90's. 

4100 dragging around 5000 pounds? :D

I will admit, they looked cool as hell to a 12 year old that had never torqued the heads on a 302 '69 Z28...

I learned...

21 hours ago, dogtired said:

"Nay -- by the rood, not so!" Pro-3, SpecE46, and the large number of BMWs in Production are all just within bounds. Part of the assumption (there's that word again) is "Lap time between 40 and 45 seconds per mile of track length".

(It's hard to make proper comparisons, as ICSCC doesn't come down to CA, and NASA doesn't come up to PNW; so I have to convert from one of those groups to SCCA, and then to the other. Then one has to accounts for factors like: All the road courses up here are "old school" designs -- no "Tilke Pretzels"; lots of long straights and sweeping corners; which brings lap times down a bit.)