• Announcements

• Bill Strong

BOD Nominations   10/03/2017

Emails have been sent to all current CCWS Members with a link to BOD nominations. Please check your email.   You will need to ask the person you're nominating for their current 2017 CCWS Member Number. Keep in mind that we will contact each nominee to make sure they are OK with being a candidate. You can't nominate yourself either (sorry). All nominations are due by November 3, 2017. To keep from having 574 different nominees, a nominee must be named by at least five members to qualify. We will compile all the nominations and put the top ten nominees on the November 10, 2017, ballot. Elections are over on December 10, 2017. We will announce the winners on December 13, 2017, and the two winners will take office January 1, 2018. How to get your current CCWS member number. Log into the CCWS event registration system. Your member number will be next to your name on the welcome screen. https://www.chumpcar.com/register/login.php Mike Chisek
      President
      ChumpCar International, Inc.

9 hours ago, dogtired said:

Is your buddy still in the Food Truck business?

Well we had Woody's over there for a track day with 18 cars I am sure he will want to be there for this event.  I'm sure Mike and Fred will have that worked out.  Will chicken noodle soup be good in the middle of the night for the Happy mid-year 24 ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

But. There is also a large group that would love to do a d8 on full course. 

VIR full with ~60 cars for a double 8 sounds awesome.  We're very likely in.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

But. There is also a large group that would love to do a d8 on full course. 

Not for the same price as the 24. 

16 minutes ago, Snake said:

Not for the same price as the 24. 

Your price suggestion?  $1400 like the rest of the 2018 events? $100 less, that way the teams could upgrade to premium imported beers for the event I guess eh?!

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Your price suggestion?  $1400 like the rest of the 2018 events? $100 less, that way the teams could upgrade to premium imported beers for the event I guess eh?!

Who doesn't wanna upgrade to premium beer?  Lower the registration the more you can buy.   Then you get quality AND quantity. :D

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

Ran a couple track days this past weekend with AutoInterests. Pretty smooth, only a couple bumpy spots. Washboard under the bridge is really the noticeable one, still nothing like before. There is spot through the kink, not bad and can be avoided if you want. Leaving the carousel too, not at all bad. We had car issues, so not tons of speed. I did have a couple tmes I was through the kink at 100 plus at least. The banking on Oak tree seems more than it was before, but I didn't have lots of time there in the past.

Interesting thing the AutoInterests guys tried right before we all left - they ran the course backwards a few laps. Good or bad, you gotta admire them for trying. Really good guys, ran the event well. Tolerated the fire coming out of my exhaust, because, well, ROTARIES RULE! Lol. 

Funny how track days go, we had the oldest cars and tow vehicle. 83, 73, 68. Maybe it's me, I'm just that damn old.

Working out signing up for this one. The RX7 has only been running and driving two weeks, lot of work to do.

Only 1 hour from home, that'll be great. I'm not a camper, but there's a bed in the van.

s-l500 (1).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trigun7469 said:

Is 37 cars the Cap?

60 I believe is the magic number...

On 8/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, Hi_Im_Will said:

Drove Nelson last weekend.  That track is FAST.   We averaged 92mph on the new pavement. Averaged.  As in average of straight line and cornering speed.  In a chumpcar.  That's a fast track.

So that means you would lap the Rabbit every two laps?

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 9:51 AM, Hi_Im_Will said:

VIR full with ~60 cars for a double 8 sounds awesome.  We're very likely in.  

A double 8 on the full course would be AWESOME!!!  Sorry, I had to capitalize it because I liked the idea so much.  I like  tradition, but if we can only get the full course once a year I'd like to see the 24 only happen at VIR every other year.  

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

A double 8 on the full course would be AWESOME!!!  Sorry, I had to capitalize it because I liked the idea so much.  I like  tradition, but if we can only get the full course once a year I'd like to see the 24 only happen at VIR every other year.  

Yeh, two 8 hour sprint races.... shouldn't be much carnage...?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dogtired said:

Yeh, two 8 hour sprint races.... shouldn't be much carnage...?

In light of this, a pic of the new car configuration is provided below:

Banger-Racing-TGS021.jpg

;)

On 8/24/2017 at 1:36 PM, Racer28173 said:

.  I like  tradition, but if we can only get the full course once a year I'd like to see the 24 only happen at VIR every other year.  

That sounds pretty good to me. 

You will still never find me in the grass parking lot at ledges for a 24...or even a double 8. NL,  Robeling Road, Little Talladega...no thanks.

^Aristocrat.

I want to run Nelson only because it's the original 24 hour showroom stock race. Read about it in all the mags as a teen and thought it sounded cool as hell.

• Like 3

I've run at two of those and it just wasn't my cup of tea (with pinky finger out of course). I've watched and read about NL and it just doesn't really peak my interest to be honest.  

9 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

That sounds pretty good to me. 

You will still never find me in the grass parking lot at ledges for a 24...or even a double 8. NL,  Robeling Road, Little Talladega...no thanks.

WARNING to all you young guys that haven't experienced a grass paddock yet:   You absolutely have to have plywood to put under your jackstands (and jack).  If you don't, the stands will slowly sink in and then rotate and drop the car.  I narrowly escaped getting crushed by a 3000 lb mustang back in the days when grass paddocks were the norm,

and I saw at least 3 other people drop their cars.  It is dangerous and it tears the car up when it lands on the stand that is now on its side. 

I assume this is why our friend here is disdainful about grass paddocks and I don't blame him at all.  

As much as I love my memories of Nelson and the history of the 24 there, I do think they need to fix the bridge and pave some of the paddock before I will want to run there again.  Oh, and bathrooms would be good too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

As much as I love my memories of Nelson and the history of the 24 there, I do think they need to fix the bridge and pave some of the paddock before I will want to run there again.  Oh, and bathrooms would be good too. 

In due time.  Expecting some of this to happen before the race but probably not before it sells out for 2018

• Like 2

Very late notice, Nelson Ledges will be hosting a TEST day this Saturday 9/2 and next Saturday 9/9 for cars. This is for active, competition licensed drivers only and for both open wheel and closed wheel cars. This is not a HPDE. Limited to 25 cars, $300 at the door. On track by 9 off by 5. Call Fred to reserve spot, 330-977-0111.

Additional info:  You may also contact Fred by text at that number. 

Edited by mostmint

Drove by Nelson today.  Hadn't been there in twenty years.  I swear the only thing they've done since then is repave it and mow the grass.  Holy crap that place looks primitive.  The timing and scoring building is exactly the way I remember it (except now it looks like it is falling down).   I did timing for one of the legendary 24s.  I'm glad the track is getting support from all you guys that remember its original glory, but all I can say is rent an RV for that race next year.  It will be money well spent. 

30 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Drove by Nelson today.  Hadn't been there in twenty years.  I swear the only thing they've done since then is repave it and mow the grass.  Holy crap that place looks primitive.  The timing and scoring building is exactly the way I remember it (except now it looks like it is falling down).   I did timing for one of the legendary 24s.  I'm glad the track is getting support from all you guys that remember its original glory, but all I can say is rent an RV for that race next year.  It will be money well spent. 

I come for the track, anything past that is gravy. 

• Like 2

I prefer the older less of a country club track. 1/2 the battle is surviving what the track offers. 

Tracks like COTA are great, but they are numb.

• Like 1

The middle ground is the best...     I wish we had more places like Pitt.   what a great combo of awesome track and facilities.