• Announcements

• Bill Strong

BOD Nominations   10/03/2017

Emails have been sent to all current CCWS Members with a link to BOD nominations. Please check your email.   You will need to ask the person you're nominating for their current 2017 CCWS Member Number. Keep in mind that we will contact each nominee to make sure they are OK with being a candidate. You can't nominate yourself either (sorry). All nominations are due by November 3, 2017. To keep from having 574 different nominees, a nominee must be named by at least five members to qualify. We will compile all the nominations and put the top ten nominees on the November 10, 2017, ballot. Elections are over on December 10, 2017. We will announce the winners on December 13, 2017, and the two winners will take office January 1, 2018. How to get your current CCWS member number. Log into the CCWS event registration system. Your member number will be next to your name on the welcome screen. https://www.chumpcar.com/register/login.php Mike Chisek
      President
      ChumpCar International, Inc.

I had to go to Germany for work, causing me to miss the race at Road America.  As a consulation, I got to do this.  

BMW 320i, 2.0L I-6, 5 speed automatic in sport mode, no-name all season tires.  Stock power, stock suspension.  

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, skierman64 said:

I had to go to Germany for work, causing me to miss the race at Road America.  As a consulation, I got to do this.  

BMW 320i, 2.0L I-6, 5 speed automatic in sport mode, no-name all season tires.  Stock power, stock suspension.  

Looks like a blast.

11 hours ago, Bandit said:

Looks like a blast.

It was, it's a difficult track to learn though. 

45 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

It was, it's a difficult track to learn though. 

Uhhhh, at 14 miles and 70+ corners... yeah I'd say so!:D

Cool video.  So much fun.

When I graduated University, a took a job behind a shovel for the summer. Worked my butt off but made good money. Paid off my debt and bought a one way ticket to Frankfurt to rent a Ford Fiesta and drive straight to the 'ring.  Gear head mecca. Great memories!

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Like 2

In the last 9 years, I have been over to Germany close to 15 times. I always like the idea of getting over to the ring, but never forced it into my schedule.

2 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

In the last 9 years, I have been over to Germany close to 15 times. I always like the idea of getting over to the ring, but never forced it into my schedule.

Really?   When I went over to Beijing I was originally scheduled to fly in Monday, present for two days then fly back Thursday.  Seriously?  I will be 30 minutes from the Great Wall of China and I can't even go see it?  It was changed to Sunday to Saturday.  

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Really?   When I went over to Beijing I was originally scheduled to fly in Monday, present for two days then fly back Thursday.  Seriously?  I will be 30 minutes from the Great Wall of China and I can't even go see it?  It was changed to Sunday to Saturday.  

I could have made it happen on a couple trips, but prioritized others things for various reasons.

I have seen the Great Wall flying in to Beijing, but haven't been out to it. I did spend several hours exploring the Forbidden City. It's pretty cool to walk around a place so old that was closed off for so long.

Edited by JBgotM

2 hours ago, JBgotM said:

I could have made it happen on a couple trips, but prioritized others things for various reasons.

I have seen the Great Wall flying in to Beijing, but haven't been out to it. I did spend several hours exploring the Forbidden City. It's pretty cool to walk around a place so old that was closed off for so long.

The city of Trier is 88 kilometers {55 miles} South of Nurburgring. {1/2 an hour by Autobahn speeds}

There is a section of the Porta Nigra {Towering stone Roman gate} that survived from the time of the Roman Empire.

As well, the oldest Christian church in Europe is a short walk from the gate.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:16 PM, JBgotM said:

If you fly into Franfurt it is less than 2 hours to the ring. Hard to pass that up in my book.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:57 PM, skierman64 said:

If you fly into Franfurt it is less than 2 hours to the ring. Hard to pass that up in my book.

Yeah, I usually fly into Frankfurt. I am headed back later this summer, maybe I can fit it in.

I have been to the Mercedes Museum, Porsche Museum, Sinsheim Auto & Tecknik Muesum, etc. All of them were really awesome.

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

Take an extra half day and do it!  Most evenings there are tourist sessions too.   I rented from these guys, great guys!  Rent 4 Ring

Germany is on the bucket list - beer and automotive mecca for sure........ might need like 3-4 weeks to see all the stuff I want to see! 

Edit:

Video is spectacular! The mini van in the last stretch :lol::lol::lol: Fantastic!!!

Questions:

- how much to rent a car for a lap and what selection is generally available?

- did you bring your own video gear or was that provided?

So it looks like a 10:49 in a 2.0 BMW is the current Chumpcar record :ph34r:

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1

Rent4ring site has those answers, basically 100e for a slightly above chumped car (think improved touring) and 40e per lap.  Track section is as per top gear van lap.

3 hours ago, pintodave said:

Germany is on the bucket list - beer and automotive mecca for sure........ might need like 3-4 weeks to see all the stuff I want to see! 

Edit:

Video is spectacular! The mini van in the last stretch :lol::lol::lol: Fantastic!!!

Questions:

- how much to rent a car for a lap and what selection is generally available?

- did you bring your own video gear or was that provided?

So it looks like a 10:49 in a 2.0 BMW is the current Chumpcar record :ph34r:

I figure that minivan probably 280+ horsepower to our 170. But it was decently driven and I had the BMW floored in the section where I was trying to catch him on that curvy straight. This was my buddy's car so like mcewena said look on rent-4-ring to see what rental prices are. There was a large selection of rent-4-ring cars sitting in the parking lot outside the entrance to the ring. I know one was a e92M3 but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind. If you're caught taking a regular rental car on the ring, that company usually will ban you for life from renting from them (supposedly there are spotted that will turn you in)

I brought my own GoPros, they don't want externally mounted cameras so anything inside is good. I used a CruiseCam to mount the camera on the seat back. I wish I'd set up a rear facing camera to catch the nice cars as they were passing me.  

10:49 is easily beatable.  I recommend spending a few hours on iracing before going to the ring so you can make the laps count and you're not wasting time just learning it.  Divide the track into ~4 sections and repeat them a few times to learn it quicker. I had it down in my head pretty well except the part between the 2 carousels. 

Beware of Adenauer Forst

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 2

I ran a Suzuki Swift with rent-4-ring back in 2014.. Instead of doing Watkins Glen.

It was definitely worth it.  I think I paid 600E for 6 laps.  I will have to find the video and see what my time was to add to the leaderboard.

I have been twice... First time - Rent4Ring Suzuki Swift, lapped at a 9:55 or so. Second time - RentRaceCar BMW 228i, dropped to a 9:35 range, more power definitely helps.

Mkb5VXB.jpg

fuUeWNZ.jpg

For those that aren't ring aware, the time posted in the McLaren video above is a full lap of the Nordschleife, the times that I and Mindspin posted are the tourist lap "Bridge to Gantry" time which is about a mile shorter since you can't do a full lap on tourist days because you have to stop an pay a toll for your next lap.  BTG times are timed from the bridge to the gantry (overhead sign) as you enter the final straight.  

Thanks for the info - I haven't been there and haven't watched the tourist laps enough to notice the difference.  

14 hours ago, skierman64 said:

For those that aren't ring aware, the time posted in the McLaren video above is a full lap of the Nordschleife, the times that I and Mindspin posted are the tourist lap "Bridge to Gantry" time which is about a mile shorter since you can't do a full lap on tourist days because you have to stop an pay a toll for your next lap.  BTG times are timed from the bridge to the gantry (overhead sign) as you enter the final straight.  

I really want to try and break 9min next time I go. Dunno how I am going to pull that off. Probably just need more consecutive laps.

1 hour ago, mindspin311 said:

I really want to try and break 9min next time I go. Dunno how I am going to pull that off. Probably just need more consecutive laps.

Or.... see the post above about the P1.  That thing could help you go sub 9 mins....!