• Announcements

• Bill Strong

BOD Nominations   10/03/2017

Emails have been sent to all current CCWS Members with a link to BOD nominations. Please check your email.   You will need to ask the person you're nominating for their current 2017 CCWS Member Number. Keep in mind that we will contact each nominee to make sure they are OK with being a candidate. You can't nominate yourself either (sorry). All nominations are due by November 3, 2017. To keep from having 574 different nominees, a nominee must be named by at least five members to qualify. We will compile all the nominations and put the top ten nominees on the November 10, 2017, ballot. Elections are over on December 10, 2017. We will announce the winners on December 13, 2017, and the two winners will take office January 1, 2018. How to get your current CCWS member number. Log into the CCWS event registration system. Your member number will be next to your name on the welcome screen. https://www.chumpcar.com/register/login.php Mike Chisek
      President
      ChumpCar International, Inc.
Plum crazy

Road America fall race

8 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I emailed the track back in July... word was 'not decided yet, we will let you know when we know'.

I just emailed Mike Morrison (Mike Chisek said that Mike M. will be running this event), I will include his response here when I get one.

Its on the RA calendar as well, but so far nothing definitive from the RA folks.  I have a call into Debra at RA as well (I guess she is the one who can tell me from their perspective).  Hard to make lodging and travel plans not knowing.......but I am planning on it unless I hear differently.

1 hour ago, dipperk120 said:

Its on the RA calendar as well, but so far nothing definitive from the RA folks.  I have a call into Debra at RA as well (I guess she is the one who can tell me from their perspective).  Hard to make lodging and travel plans not knowing.......but I am planning on it unless I hear differently.

If a test day does not materialize they may find a very loud, very orange BMW bedding brake pads on the spectating roads on Friday.... hope they don't mind. 

• Like 1

Michael Morrison <mike.morrison@chumpcar.com>

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

They haven’t said anything to me about that yet but I have a conference call with them next week and will ask.  If they decide to do one I’ll add the info to the supplemental rules.

Thanks!

Mike Morrison

Central Region Director

ChumpCar World Series

C: 214-738-6072

www.chumpcar.com

19 hours ago, enginerd said:

If a test day does not materialize they may find a very loud, very orange BMW bedding brake pads on the spectating roads on Friday.... hope they don't mind. 

Nate, for $150 I will bed in the brakes for you.

How does it work as being scored as 1 event. I see that it says Parc Ferme. Is it red flagged and no work can be done overnight?

5 minutes ago, K2racing said:

How does it work as being scored as 1 event. I see that it says Parc Ferme. Is it red flagged and no work can be done overnight?

Exactly. Last lap is under FCY, cars park on pit lane. Red flag is out. No work can be done. 2nd day starts out in the same order, drive off pit lane and race starts the next time around start / finish.  (or something very similar to what I just described)

32 minutes ago, K2racing said:

Gonna have to do NASCAR speed pit stops with tires and brakes!

For only 16 hours?

43 minutes ago, K2racing said:

Gonna have to do NASCAR speed pit stops with tires and brakes!

My hat is off to anyone who can do brake pads without going over 5 minutes. We can go 16 on brakes but we will have to change a tire or two. 

Edited by enginerd

18 hours ago, enginerd said:

My hat is off to anyone who can do brake pads without going over 5 minutes. We can go 16 on brakes but we will have to change a tire or two. 

I think Tubby Butterman  Racing changed a front wheel bearing at the national championship in a 5 minute pit-stop. Someone like @ABR-Glen can probably confirm or deny this, I don't really remember if it was over 5 min or not. 

6 hours ago, Eman911 said:

I've always hated park ferme, and I always will.

Think of it this way, you get to go to dinner early. :) 

I thought I heard that they changed a caliper in a 5 minute pit.     Might be a different race.

They have a mechanic that is their crew chief and doesn't drive the car.    Matt 'the General' .    

20 hours ago, enginerd said:

20 years ago we did both front brakes on a SCCA showroom stock car in five minutes.  With no air tools and a old school floor jack (think 5 to 10 pumps). We did have a drill that took the lugs off once they were broken free.  Did it with 3 guys over the wall.  Now if memory serves correctly, we had two guys doing fueling at the same time (I think that was allowed).  Can't remember if we did a driver change too....

I look back now and laugh for a bunch of reasons.  Insanity to do all of that in a 5 minute stop.  But the funniest thing is that it was something like a 2 hour race.  And we STILL had to change brake pads!!!!

3 hours ago, red0 said:

I think Tubby Butterman  Racing changed a front wheel bearing at the national championship in a 5 minute pit-stop. Someone like @ABR-Glen can probably confirm or deny this, I don't really remember if it was over 5 min or not. 

I can't remember if it was the National Chumpionship or the 24hr, but it was at Iowa Speedway for sure. Very close to the 5 minute minimum and that was back in 2011-2012 when lots of people were still trying to figure out how to do normal pit stops under 5 minutes. 

I did a front hub last fall at RA and it took me a lot longer than that, although I did have "The General" watching over my shoulder. 

Still have two questions -- Test & Tune day on Friday?  (really really need to know one way or another for lodging, travel, and all that stuff)

and

Kink or Bend? (maybe the kink this time?)

15 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

Still have two questions -- Test & Tune day on Friday?  (really really need to know one way or another for lodging, travel, and all that stuff)

and

No chance on the Kink. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

and

I still haven't heard from Mike or the track about a Friday test... fortunately for us we are only 3 hours away so we drive there Friday morning regardless.

Definitely running the bend and I'm happy about that... the kink is a car killer.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Definitely running the bend and I'm happy about that... the kink is a car killer.

It is. 

But would still rather run it.

10 hours ago, enginerd said:

I still haven't heard from Mike or the track about a Friday test... fortunately for us we are only 3 hours away so we drive there Friday morning regardless.

Now that I have raced and won on both layouts I don't mind running the bend at all. I might actually prefer running with the bend instead of the kink for safety. 

54 minutes ago, red0 said:

Now that I have raced and won on both layouts I don't mind running the bend at all. I might actually prefer running with the bend instead of the kink for safety. 

Only raced the bend......

Didn't turn out well -- got t-boned mid-bend by someone who spun trying a bit too hard...........wouldn't mind trying the kink.

59b157eba1551_RAhit.thumb.jpg.eae21e615261cb5f9aae6401d69f7761.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, enginerd said:

Never been able to make a full race at RA with same brakes.  But we have gotten to the point that we can do fuel, driver change front tires and front brakes in a 5 minute stop (give or take a few seconds).  Since we got our crew chief, Duane, lots of things have happened in the pits, and our crew practices this stuff, and the tools are made for a quick change and in their own kit. We rarely go over about 4 minutes on a stop (fuel and driver change).  We aren't so fast, so that's where we have to make up our time.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, enginerd said:

Exactly. Last lap is under FCY, cars park on pit lane. Red flag is out. No work can be done. 2nd day starts out in the same order, drive off pit lane and race starts the next time around start / finish.  (or something very similar to what I just described)

And, driver time gets reset -- there is more than 1 hour of rest time, so the same driver can get a full two hours starting on day two (assuming you have fuel to do so),  Technically, you can come in 1:55 before the end on Saturday, and assuming you can get fuel to last that long, go another two hours on Sunday AM without the penalty of a driver change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dipperk120 said:

And, driver time gets reset -- there is more than 1 hour of rest time, so the same driver can get a full two hours starting on day two (assuming you have fuel to do so),  Technically, you can come in 1:55 before the end on Saturday, and assuming you can get fuel to last that long, go another two hours on Sunday AM without the penalty of a driver change.

When we did the Vegas park ferme race last year, they closed the pits 15 minutes prior to the end of the race on day one and required you to make 1 full lap under the green flag before you could come in on the second day.  Otherwise you were handed a 30 minute penalty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

When we did the Vegas park ferme race last year, they closed the pits 15 minutes prior to the end of the race on day one and required you to make 1 full lap under the green flag before you could come in on the second day.  Otherwise you were handed a 30 minute penalty.

Based on discussions with Mike Chisek, this will be handled differently.

At Gingerman, the track went yellow about 10 minutes before red flag.  You couldpit up til 15 minutes before red flag.  If your stop went over 5 minutes, you were still allowed to exit pit lane and get back in line.  If yo came down pit road late, he allowed cars to continue down pit lane and exit again with only the "drivethrough" as your penalty.  When it went back to racing, if you were on Pit lane (for anything other than the red flag), they released you AFTER the track went green.

• Like 1