22 minutes ago, red0 said:

Saturday results: https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4569932

Sunday results: https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4575712

Congrats to Spartan Racing and GWR on their wins this weekend. 

Thanks to the Chump staff and volunteers for making this weekend possible for everyone. 

What happened on Sunday with the RBank cars?  Unusual they don't all finish a race.

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

What happened on Sunday with the RBank cars?  Unusual they don't all finish a race.

Mechanical issues caused the cars to retire early I believe. 

13 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

So is Spartan Racing a legit 4 cyl  E36??

They have a 4 cyl in it.  The suspension set up on it is done really well, especially for this track.  They also drive the car very well.

• Like 2

Just now, hotchkis23 said:

They have a 4 cyl in it.  The suspension set up on it is done really well, especially for this track.  They also drive the car very well.

Yep, very talented team.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Hats off to them, for sure. We need some of their set up tips for our "cruise ship".

Were you at Road Atlanta this Feb? They finished on the podium that race. 

1 hour ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

So is Spartan Racing a legit 4 cyl  E36??

Lots of points to play with on that model and I don't know what they have spent them on. It is definitely performing above its rated HP (rated low 140s). 

Edited by enginerd

Yeah, we finished an above average 38th at Road Atl. I remember thinking they were fast for a 4 banger. Could slay them on the long stretch but they out braked us at 10a. I think that is mostly a driver issue, not our bone stock (lowered, tho) front suspension. Anyway, thanks to them for making us look bad with our 220hp cheaty car.

Should give a big congrats to Ludicrous Speed - they set a new Chump track record around Gingerman of 1:44.606, beating our old best time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Should give a big congrats to Ludicrous Speed

I give a big haruumph!! to anything having to do with Spaceballs.

improve-your-network-speed-spaceballs-ludicrous-speed.gif.6a0e519a1aba2e60b2989b34ccce711e.gif

• Like 4

we blew another head gasket in our (freshly rebuilt) e30 at 4:56 on Saturday. @Hi_Im_Will & team offered us a great deal on their spare motor, but my team decided to go a different route. You guys are a class act!

• Like 4

Since my car is still nowhere close to being finished, I decided to rent a seat from some guys I met at the Lemons race at Gingerman earlier in the year.  They only had two guys and this was their first Chumpcar race, so I thought I could help them out.  The car in question is the SlowNerd Volvo 940/960 (I'm still not sure which one).  I made sure they were up-to-date on all of the latest rules, built them a sweet GWR-inspired splitter, and towed the car to the track.  We unfortunately had problems all weekend including a bad fuel pump, blown front strut, a flat tire, a loosening wheel, and a slipping transmission.  We were able to get the car running pretty well for the start of the Sunday race, for which we had pole position thanks to the new grid procedure.  I was able to keep the lead for the first two corners, but quickly got swallowed up.  At about an hour in the front-left strut failed and we didn't have a replacement, so we eventually decided to park it.  Sorry if we got in anyone's way out there!  I also managed to jump into a few GWR pit stops including fueling the car at the last stop on Sunday on their way to the win.  Speaking of which, congrats to @Hi_Im_Will and Chris for their first Gingerman win!  It was a long time coming.

I had a blast racing against the plethora of friends and co-workers spread throughout the paddock.  Thanks to all of the volunteers and Chump staff for putting on another great event!

21122459_10155622780047346_6902355698103821825_o.thumb.jpg.e811a87e47bd7834ec704bac13f4f329.jpg21125602_417470661983554_4369439144592482260_o.thumb.jpg.22849e202946d6ca8c4371602a0ad55f.jpg

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 5

It was a great weekend as this was the first time with no rain in the last three years of racing at Gingerman. Now as for our car and team, well Saturday was mostly a test day for us

as our first stint took a spin followed by some hard impact to the crush zone of our Miata. Got that mostly fixed and put the second driver in for a 30 minute run when over the radio we here I just lost the left front wheel, followed by its really gone and should be in Kalamazoo by now! So flatbed in to work on it for the next few hours and got it ready to have some testing time for Sunday.

Sunday went well and we ran from 36th all the way to 5th which was great effort and all went like clock work until the checker flag.

Hats off to all the staff and all the helpers. I would also put my vote in for the new starting process as it worked very well and was a much safer route to get that many cars out and running on track.

• Like 2

I try to keep up on the forums, but I must have missed the starting process thread. Can someone enlighten or direct me?

Congrats to both of the winners.  Spartan came so close in day 2 at Autobahn so this win seems like it was due, and super job by GWR to come back from "death" at WGI and get a win.  

Edited by Racer28173

2 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

I try to keep up on the forums, but I must have missed the starting process thread. Can someone enlighten or direct me?

Congrats to both of the winners.  Spartan came so close in day 2 at Autobahn so this win seems like it was due, and super job by GWR to come back from "death" at WGI and get a win.  

We really liked it.    At the drivers meeting a pit stall was drawn from the hat and that team started P1 and cars were released behind them in order down pit lane.  On day 2 it was reversed.   

Did I mention we liked it?

Probably should be another thread started if there a bunch of discussion, there was plenty of good Chumpcar Racing to discuss.

• Like 5

This was the end of our Saturday.....a post race search in the grass for the runaway left front wheel and stuff.   We found all of it except one brake pad.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Should give a big congrats to Ludicrous Speed - they set a new Chump track record around Gingerman of 1:44.606, beating our old best time.

Thanks Will.  Congrats to you on the win!

Chris Shay

Edited by cshay
  • Like 1

Team Ludicrous had a promising weekend.  Saturday went well except for driver fatigue due to exhaust fumes from all the other cars.  Lap times dropped off.  We finished 5th with out any mechanical issues.

Sunday we took the lead after quiet hour when we got lucky with a PUY and the pit in Marshall kindly let us know we had a water leak.  That took us 40 minutes to fix.  I'm glad we didn't overheat the motor.

Did anyone else have issues with the exhaust fumes Saturday?  There were A LOT of cars out there early Saturday.

Chris Shay

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Friday practice revealed the tach quit working on the trip up quickly followed by a leaky rear brake caliper and a small fire. Repairs were made to the caliper and we set the rev limiter on the MS to compensate for the lack of a tach. (thanks Mark!)

Saturday started with a great deal of promise and good luck including a near miss with a spinning pick up truck. My driver never even mentioned it but it looked damn close on the video. After 30 minutes or so we caught on fire, again. 2 hours later we had a more permanent fix in place and returned to the fray.  All of the drivers enjoyed the new engine and we were marching back up the ladder steadily. The 2 middle stints passed without drama so on the last stint we decided to drive over to the hill as I have never seen the race from over there. Big mistake. With about 45 minutes left I saw our driver pull into an empty pit stall. We hustled back to the pit as Scott went back out. He stuck it out for another 15 minutes or so until he lost the ability to shift, and that as they say, is that. We packed it in with with an as of yet undiagnosed clutch problem.

Overall it was a good weekend I guess, my worst fears we not realized (MS failure or grenading a new engine). I was surprised at the number of very fast cars. We installed about 50 more horses since last season and we're still not at the pointy end of things. Was it just me or was there a larger than usual number of black flags? Our pit box was right next to the turn 1 flag station and it seemed they had the thing on permanent display on Saturday.

Well, back to work. The sooner I get the drywall and wheel bearing on my son's car done the sooner i can get ready for Road America!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eman911 said:

Was it just me or was there a larger than usual number of black flags? Our pit box was right next to the turn 1 flag station and it seemed they had the thing on permanent display on Saturday.

There were more black flags than I have ever seen in a central region race. 

• Like 1