I've seen some video now and its almost funny, but also a bit shameful how many of the experienced teams were completely blowing by people under yellow.  We did not have any black flags and I don't think it was because they missed us misbehaving.     We're just a lowly hope to get in the top 5 on a good day team,  its only a "good" day if we pay attention and don't get black flagged.    Oh and even more important, it a safety thing for our competitors and track workers.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2017 at 9:48 AM, Snake said:

Surprised nobody is talking about the rollover.   Saw the video on Fb.  Hopefully the BMW was parked for awhile. 

Where can I see this video of the rollover?  

If you look in the mirror, the BMW was kinda there.  This is NOT a braking zone or anything.  It wasn't like the BMW divebombed.  It was casually passing the Focus on the inside and the focus was passing a car on the inside as well.  There IS kinda room to do that through that particular bit of track...  Mostly.

I would chalk this up to a racing incident.

31 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

If you look in the mirror, the BMW was kinda there.  This is NOT a braking zone or anything.  It wasn't like the BMW divebombed.  It was casually passing the Focus on the inside and the focus was passing a car on the inside as well.  There IS kinda room to do that through that particular bit of track...  Mostly.

I would chalk this up to a racing incident.

I don't think the focus driver could have been much clearer about his intent to go all the way inside there.  And the BMW had plenty of time to back out.  

That said, the normal racing line there leaves a half to full car width on the left.  It's reasonable to expect the car you're passing to leave room there, but its bad for your car's longevity to rely on it.  People do regularly use that curb when they have clear track.  I personally don't like passing there unless the car being passed is giving a clear signal they see you and are leaving room (like the miata did) just because people's lines are difficult to predict.  3 wide there is not possible if the inside car is pushing hard - they will wash out just shy of mid-track.

But it's not a tight enough corner that you have to commit to a line in advance.  There is absolutely grip left over to change your mind mid-corner.   The BMW driver made a poor choice going for that pass, never had to commit to that inside line, and had plenty of opportunity to back out.  And I don't see what the Focus should have done differently - he drove a standard line and telegraphed his move well in advance.  It would be difficult to do that more predictably.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

I don't think the focus driver could have been much clearer about his intent to go all the way inside there.  And the BMW had plenty of time to back out.  

That said, the normal racing line there leaves a half to full car width on the left.  It's reasonable to expect the car you're passing to leave room there, but its bad for your car's longevity to rely on it.  People do regularly use that curb when they have clear track.  I personally don't like passing there unless the car being passed is giving a clear signal they see you and are leaving room (like the miata did) just because people's lines are difficult to predict.  3 wide there is not possible if the inside car is pushing hard - they will wash out just shy of mid-track.

But it's not a tight enough corner that you have to commit to a line in advance.  There is absolutely grip left over to change your mind mid-corner.   The BMW driver made a poor choice going for that pass, never had to commit to that inside line, and had plenty of opportunity to back out.  And I don't see what the Focus should have done differently - he drove a standard line and telegraphed his move well in advance.  It would be difficult to do that more predictably.  

I totally agree with you.

I guess what I wrote went too far in "protecting" the BMW. 

What I was trying to say is that "I" didn't think what the BMW did was catastrophically bad.  In hindsight it is a bonehead maneuver.  I am sure several cars went through that same place on the track, in the same manner during the weekend with no contact whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I totally agree with you.

I guess what I wrote went too far in "protecting" the BMW. 

What I was trying to say is that "I" didn't think what the BMW did was catastrophically bad.  In hindsight it is a bonehead maneuver.  I am sure several cars went through that same place on the track, in the same manner during the weekend with no contact whatsoever.

With the size difference between the Focus and Miata, it is possible that the BMW didn't really see that the Focus was passing a car and perhaps assumed that the Focus was alone. 

It definitely seems like the BMW driver could have used the brakes.  I'm not convinced they did even after they made contact.  took 2 cars/teams out of the race and was back on track in like 30 minutes???    

looking at the last few frames the focus was pushed all the way into the Miata, not just a bump....

Capture.JPG

Just in case you were missing Gingerman, we're finally getting a little video on line.   This one features some happier times for the Dirty Side Down E36.  Jacob picked up the pace to follow a little bit.  @NigelStu

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, csadn said:

Why does the roof look like it came from Le Chateau du Triple Homicide?

Its a secret.  

And our cage was built when Miata Hardtops were like a billion points but you could put 600hp in a 240sx.  So anyway we now have a hand made roof, that fits very nicely.......and duh, golf balls have dimples for better aero. ;)

Edited by JDChristianson

Best part was spending the day getting it all back together and then the epic hunt for the parts after the race was over(yes we got permission).  Only thing we didn't find was the caliper bracket and one of the brake pads.  The parts went a LONG ways through that tall grass!

That tire went all the way across the infield, across the front straight and hit the pit wall armco. I thought for sure someone leaving turn 11 wouldn't see it coming and run right into it.

10 hours ago, enginerd said:

That tire went all the way across the infield, across the front straight and hit the pit wall armco. I thought for sure someone leaving turn 11 wouldn't see it coming and run right into it.

That was the tire from the CRX, ours was buried between turn 8 and the 10-11 straight.  A couple of flying tires at this event.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 7:43 AM, hotchkis23 said:

That was the tire from the CRX, ours was buried between turn 8 and the 10-11 straight.  A couple of flying tires at this event.

The wheel that went against the pit wall was the first wheel we lost that day... and we legit lost the second one. It was no where to be found at the end of the day.

• Like 1