• Announcements

• Bill Strong

BOD Nominations   10/03/2017

Emails have been sent to all current CCWS Members with a link to BOD nominations. Please check your email.   You will need to ask the person you're nominating for their current 2017 CCWS Member Number. Keep in mind that we will contact each nominee to make sure they are OK with being a candidate. You can't nominate yourself either (sorry). All nominations are due by November 3, 2017. To keep from having 574 different nominees, a nominee must be named by at least five members to qualify. We will compile all the nominations and put the top ten nominees on the November 10, 2017, ballot. Elections are over on December 10, 2017. We will announce the winners on December 13, 2017, and the two winners will take office January 1, 2018. How to get your current CCWS member number. Log into the CCWS event registration system. Your member number will be next to your name on the welcome screen. https://www.chumpcar.com/register/login.php Mike Chisek
      President
      ChumpCar International, Inc.
JamesDev

Cadillac CTS for a chumpcar?

Hey Guys, new to the forum and Chumpcar.  I daily drive a Cadillac CTSV and over labor day had the opportunity to run the new ATSV and CTSV cars at Daytona for a day.  It really got the bug in me to go racing.  I have 3-4 people interested in forming a team and I have been reading all that I can on organizing the team, the cars etc.  I am thinking of running a CTS mainly because I think it would be fun and I love my daily driver.  I have not been able to find any teams running the CTS and am wondering if it can even be competitive. Our first year I would just like to finish some races. I found one locally, a 2003 CTS v6 5spd manual for $500.  Needs transmission work he says and salvage title.  So I need to investigate what the damage was. Any information or ideas is welcome.

Thanks,

James

autowp.ru_cadillac_cts-v_race_car_32.jpg

• Like 3

It's on the VPI list at 530-550 points, so you will be limited in what modifications you can do and you will start a couple laps down which can be a big deal if you are trying to win. Were there some known problems with those V6 motors? I think Racedad looked at building one briefly.

Edited by ABR-Glen

A Cadillac race car would be hella cool!! I suggest you buy one that is in mechanically excellent shape so you can get out and race with a minimum of work. Since it starts at over 500 points, you won't be doing much more than stripping it down and adding a roll cage and other required items. Initial purchase price does not matter, so you can save yourself a lot of work by purchasing a solid car to begin with.

• Like 2

I have run laps in a non prepped CTS with manual, and liked the car. I think it would be a fun choice. 

It should be a very competitive car, the reason you don't see lots of us running them is because we can't afford them. 

There was a team last year I think that ran a race or two in one.  I would love to see one of those running.  We have batted around the idea of one as a chumpcar.

Besides the high starting points, it could be a really good choice.  17.5 gallon fuel tank.  220 hp.  Pretty high curb weight, but Im sure you could get that dropped down by a SIGNIFICANT margin.  There should be decent handling out of the box (they were always pretty well regarded in reviews from what I remember), plus there may be some decent lowering spring and shock options that you could easily use with zero added points.

I agree with enginerd that a better car is nice to start with (no rust, no major issues, etc).  but a new trans shouldn't be too difficult.  Remember though that what you are looking for isn't what other buyers are necessarily looking for, so salvage titles are your friend!

Do it!

1 minute ago, thewheelerZ said:

There was a team last year I think that ran a race or two in one.  I would love to see one of those running.  We have batted around the idea of one as a chumpcar.

Besides the high starting points, it could be a really good choice.  17.5 gallon fuel tank.  220 hp.  Pretty high curb weight, but Im sure you could get that dropped down by a SIGNIFICANT margin.  There should be decent handling out of the box (they were always pretty well regarded in reviews from what I remember), plus there may be some decent lowering spring and shock options that you could easily use with zero added points.

I agree with enginerd that a better car is nice to start with (no rust, no major issues, etc).  but a new trans shouldn't be too difficult.  Remember though that what you are looking for isn't what other buyers are necessarily looking for, so salvage titles are your friend!

Do it!

2004 530 point car has 255 HP. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, red0 said:

2004 530 point car has 255 HP. 

All the more reason to do it!

One of these racing a Lincoln LS on track would be awesome.  I love bad donkey sedans.

• Like 1

Just now, thewheelerZ said:

One of these racing a Lincoln LS on track would be awesome.  I love bad donkey sedans.

I think it would be a really cool car to race in chump!

This is a fantastic idea.  While the cost of initial purchase might be "high" (what is the going rate for a solid e30 these days??) I think it would be worth the money and a good platform to grow with.  Another upside is that the lack of points to mod with means you pretty much add what you can without taking any more points and move on.

Things you could do without affecting your points value:

Lowering springs (I'd look at OEM CTS-V stuff or aftermarket parts)
Shocks                (Again, CTS-V takeoffs might be a good/inexpensive option)
Big wheels/tires   (I'm guessing you can get a REALLY fat tire under that big girl)
Weight reduction (like, lots of it)
Welded diff          (this is probably controversial, but exiting every corner sideways is pretty cool)
Brakes                 (if later model v6 stuff is bigger id try it. CTS-V consumables seem $$$)
Delete Cats
Exhaust
Intake
Tune             (Is now free, might be worth some decent power above changes)

Someone mentioned the 17.5 gallon tank.  While decent I'm not sure this will be enough to run 110% for 2 hours with 250+ hp.  Maybe I'm wrong on that but we burn about 7-8 gph with 170hp. A surge tank and fuel cell might mitigate that.

If you do this, please make a build thread.
  • Like 3

I think this will be awesome.. just more expensive than E36/E30 build..   at longer tracks it's hard to overcome a lap down often.

1 hour ago, gr1vlet said:
If you do this, please make a build thread.

I second this thought. 

• Like 1

The CTS 2003 is a V6 making 220hp if it is the 3.2. Now I just found a loophole in that the 2004 CTS V6 was offered with the 3.6L making 255hp. Now in 2005 it got the 2.8L making 210hp. Not sure why the value goes up in 2005 then for vpi. The one to get would be the 2004 CTS v6 5speed then. The tank is good size at 17.5 as you can get a 20 gallon fuel cell and 1/2 gallon fuel spacer to get just 19.5. That should get you 2 hours easy with 220hp. If you get the 255hp 2004 then it will be touch and go depending on track. 

It does look like the car is very heavy though so I would think it would depend on how effective you are at taking out weight.

Good luck and welcome. Keep the questions coming and I am sure most of us will be glad to help.

Troy

30 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Isn't a catera very similar underneath and lighter?

Similar? 

It has 4 wheels, so I guess.

If I found a CTS 5 speed for 5 bills the Monte would likely be put on hold.

The old man bought one first year. Was a great car. And the 5 speed isn't terribly common. 

Iirc it's an Aisen, so one may have options for spares.

As others have said; Build it.

5 hours ago, red0 said:

I think it would be a really cool car to race in chump!

Especially with the V Series paint scheme.

Wondering what year V the OP has? Had an 04 and it was awesome. Preferred the ZO6 5.7 over the 6.0 myself as it revved better.

Sideways on the second gear powershift with my 65 y/o mom laughing in the backseat. Good timez. Miss it.

Don't miss the tire bills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Isn't a catera very similar underneath and lighter?

I looked at the Catera for a moment one day... supposedly weighs more than the CTS, lame motor that was only shared with in Saabs in North America, weak 4-speed automatic only, smaller gas tank.  Different/newer platform than the CTS; but they may share parts, I don't know.

16 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

FWIW you can get the LS with a V6 and 5 speed as well. Not sure what trans the Caddy uses, but if it is a T-5 type, they are cheap and plentiful. 

44 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

FWIW you can get the LS with a V6 and 5 speed as well. Not sure what trans the Caddy uses, but if it is a T-5 type, they are cheap and plentiful. 

Exactly yeah!  I think they would be fairly similar in terms of performance. 

Maybe I should sell my current car and go get on of these to build.... anyone interested in a Mazda 626?:blink:

Some team in the NE tried to race an ex Wold challenge car and the   WC brakes  were/ are continually problematic.  The car is big and heavy , stops poorly.   I dont think that they have run well in the AER races.  Check the results for AER Glen.

My wifes handle swell and goes like hell tho.  

15 minutes ago, flyinglizard said:

Some team in the NE tried to race an ex Wold challenge car and the   WC brakes  were/ are continually problematic.  The car is big and heavy , stops poorly.   I dont think that they have run well in the AER races.  Check the results for AER Glen.

My wifes handle swell and goes like hell tho.  

brake upgrades don't count towards points :ph34r: and one could take an easy 1000 lbs off the car. the curb weight is about 3500. A lot of t hat is going to be cream puff stuff and power stuff.  If you want to get crafty with a plasma cutter you could probably knock off another 250-300.

• Like 1

You think you could get a CTS down to 2200 lbs??  I think that might be a bit ambitious!  Though, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear as raced weight between 2700-2800 lbs.

• Like 1

Just now, thewheelerZ said:

You think you could get a CTS down to 2200 lbs??  I think that might be a bit ambitious!  Though, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear as raced weight between 2700-2800 lbs.

2600-2800# I would bet, no way 2200#. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

2200lbs. That is a good one and if it happened I would truly be very impressed as I am a huge weight weenie now with my new car build. 

Maybe 2600-2800 if you go really aggressive with everything.