Sign in to follow this  
thewheelerZ

Calabogie - Chumpionship 2017

Well... if no one else is going to start this thread it might as well be me. 

Not enough commitment to the throttle in T1, the rear stepped out and the Black Mamba is officially dead. No ifs ands or buts... that car is dead. Rear right wheel is in the passenger area. Shock tower is ripped apart. Floor is completely mangled. Will get a few pictures up later, but for now here is something to cringe over. 

Driver walked away with no issues as of yet (still watching for late concussion signs and such). 

We are all pretty gutted at the moment as we really liked that car and wanted to see it maximize its potential. But... it's just a car so maybe time to stop moping around and get at it. 

• Sad 2

Not enough commitment to correcting the initial slide, then turning in again?

Yep, that too. Not sure why he did that. Not sure at that point if it would have made things much better either. 

Wow, the tires really spun you around fast! 

Glad to hear the driver is okay. 

Good luck, we hope to see you next year.

Little scary seeing that, passed the accident right after it happened and it looked like an airplane crash. Was relieved to hear the driver was ok.

Hope to see you guys back at it.

We (RPR) had a good weekend, not without issues, but they pale in comparison to the above!

Unfortunately I blew a couple of positions for us on Sunday by stupidly attracting a pit lane speeding 5 min penalty. Case of the red mist after getting punted off the inside of 12 by a slower car unwilling or unable to check his mirrors.

Things went downhill a bit further when another driver tagged the tire wall after a brake lockup and put the wheel to the 10 o'clock position to go straight. Right front did NOT like being toed in that much and blew with two laps left to go. We got it in, changed and out in time to jusssssst finish ahead of Chump Monkey (fun race guys!)

Upside, that's still an 8th place finish and the car is doing so, so much better than last year. Definitely punches above it's weight for a 275pt car, looking forward to spending that surplus this winter!

What a shame....I really liked your car....

That said, I'm glad everyone is ok....I came around the corner shortly after and saw the driver already out....

Hope to see you back in the saddle again...Best Wishes

Team Tailwind Red Nissan #35

That was a rough one, glad to hear the driver walked away. 

In Turn 1 your driver lifted at the "2" and stayed off throttle well past the apex.  He should have started to gently roll back on the power before the apex to keep the back end planted.  I also agree that the driver made a late input to the steering wheel (perhaps to try and bring the car closer to the apex?) which ended up causing even more weight transfer (faster rotation).

This is all IMHO as an uneducated 3rd party observer that was not in the BLK MMBA at the time of the crash, only watched the incredibly violent video footage a few times and (full disclosure) has also written off a car in Turn 1 at Calabogie.  

At the 55min mark you can see the carnage from my POV when I drove past immediately after the incident.  The wreck looked really bad.  Glad to hear that the driver is okay.  

Chumpcar Canada Chumpionship Calabogie 2017 10 01 Stint #2

Thumbs up to the Calabogie Safety Team for a great response.

34 minutes ago, Quack88 said:

In Turn 1 your driver lifted at the "2" and stayed off throttle well past the apex.  He should have started to gently roll back on the power before the apex to keep the back end planted.  I also agree that the driver made a late input to the steering wheel (perhaps to try and bring the car closer to the apex?) which ended up causing even more weight transfer (faster rotation).

This is all IMHO as an uneducated 3rd party observer that was not in the BLK MMBA at the time of the crash, only watched the incredibly violent video footage a few times and (full disclosure) has also written off a car in Turn 1 at Calabogie.  

At the 55min mark you can see the carnage from my POV when I drove past immediately after the incident.  The wreck looked really bad.  Glad to hear that the driver is okay.  

Chumpcar Canada Chumpionship Calabogie 2017 10 01 Stint #2

Thumbs up to the Calabogie Safety Team for a great response.

Yep, that's the conclusion that we have come to as well.  Getting back on the gas just after turn in would have likely solved the issue.  The car responds pretty well to throttle when oversteering.

Im still blown away that he walked away with no issue.  We have a few beers last night and he says he's not even sore.  Puts it down to his Aikido training and relaxing to keep his body from tensing up when he hit the wall.

1 hour ago, thewheelerZ said:

Im still blown away that he walked away with no issue.  We have a few beers last night and he says he's not even sore.  Puts it down to his Aikido training and relaxing to keep his body from tensing up when he hit the wall.

Whoever built your cage deserves one of those beers!  I tried to find you guys after talking to your mom but I think you were down at the lower paddock near PowerSport garage.  So sad to see your car smashed up like that.

By chance, did anyone happen to find a couple of jackets at Bogie?  I had a driver lose them.  Black North Face rain jacket and Blue Parka.  Also lsot a blue vest as well.  No idea how he lost 3 different jackets or what was keeping him warm on the way home....!

• Haha 1