DuncanDana

RVA Graphics Eastern Chumpionship

So after two full days of great racing the Eastern Chumpionship is in the books!

We had rain, we had cold weather and through it all the racers drove good clean competitive laps. Even before the race I was reminded of how great our members are. The audio clip for the National Anthem failed right in the middle, and just like that our racers just started singing and finished it. There were people in the group with tears in their eyes, a great moment for everyone.

And with that said, congratulations to all, the race winner, the Championship winner, and all class winners! Results can be found here: https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4672031

Dana

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What did Foxy Tires do wrong?

And look at all those BMWs cluttering up the top 10.... >;)

What's the story with:

the Foxy Tires car that is listed as DQ?

team Huggins?

GWR?

brew Krewe?

RVA Graphics (both cars)?

Simon Says? 

John Allen? 

Busted Axle? 

Jacky Ickx?

looks like a lot of teams had issues 😞

Fun race to keep up on over the weekend!  Congrats to the winners.  And all that got their cars and teams to the checkered flag after 16 hours!

Cant wait to hear the stories.

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

What's the story with:

team Huggins?

GWR?

brew Krewe?

Simon Says? 

John Allen? 

Busted Axle? 

Jacky Ickx?

John Allen went out with a blown head gasket. Was caught very quickly. 220k mile motor along with 14 hr at Daytona, 24 hr VIR and the deluge yesterday, it finally gave up. We’ll be back at Barber with the Z stronger than it was before. 

• Like 2

Congrats to the winners! It was really wet out there Saturday, some impressive driving. I hope a video surfaces from Wyatt's stint, was fun to watch from pit road!

20171029_191040-1453x1090.jpg

20171029_190900-948x1179.jpg

• Like 2

I expected there to be speed creep this year, and a handful of cars were able to run in the 1:34 range, and even a few 33's but 1 freaking 28... That is scary 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

What's the story with:

team Huggins?

GWR?

brew Krewe?

Simon Says? 

John Allen? 

Busted Axle? 

Jacky Ickx?

Saturday was fine, but it was hard to see out there. A lot of teams were fogging up their front windshields just like us.

On Sunday in the opening stint, our Brew Krewe BMW tagged a wall coming out of T4. Our driver tried to catch it a few times, but couldn't save it evemtually.

We came in and with the help of @Huggy and @elongoran and @mbulls@commercemicro.com and their crews we were able to effect some bandaid repairs to the right front and get back out there. Luckily the radiator was spared so we through a quick alignment on there and the car was a bit of a handful, but we all got our stints in. We corded the right fron and had no spare 15' tires mounted so I did the last 1:30 with 14s on the front and 15"s on the rear.

Don't try this; It does NOT work!!! I was able to stay out of the leader's way for the most part, but my arm is sore as all get out from point buys. Luckily I practice 12 oz curls all the time so my right arm is not totally useless after an extensive workout....

The frame rail is bent, but not too bad. We will be back at Barber in a little over a month...

Thanks ChumpCar staff, awesome volunteers, great emergency crews/flaggers, and of course our fellow Chump drivers and crews.

Thanks Tiffany for covering my normal spot on ChumpCast Live!...Can't wait to see what @Paulie and @Bill Strong put together and to watch the broadcast. On YouTube (PLEASE subscribe!!!) of course. Should have the Race Report written by Tuesday and we will get it posted up.

Congrats McKibbins Biohazard Racing for a well deserved 2017 Chumpionship, the last regional Chumpionship to be awarded. Of course next yrear we go to a single Nationwide event when we rebrand as the.....Start System Update? You must login to continue... System Restore? Ctrl F12 to continue...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, gr1vlet said:

Congrats to the winners! It was really wet out there Saturday, some impressive driving. I hope a video surfaces from Wyatt's stint, was fun to watch from pit road!

Thanks for for working the pit this weekend!  Good chatting with your crew.

I have video from our car, but it mostly looks like this...

3 hours ago, mcoppola said:

What's the story with:

team Huggins?

Some sort of undiagnosed defrosting issue Saturday, we called it for safety reasons around 2.

some sort of clutch/trans failure Sunday, not able to change gears without forcing it, called it around 10:30.

juat made it home to ral after leaving about noon.  Had a great time parting with the gang, sadly the racing wasn't as fun.  AMP is awesome, except for the lack of bathrooms and the lack of Internet.

congrats to Troy/randypobst 

congrats to Birmingham also, that's a wicked sc!

thanks to Chumpcar for putting together a top notch event as always!

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, red0 said:

Congrats to Burningham Too on a huge win.

Looking forward to some races with/against them next year when we haul #236 out for a few races and the championship race. Rodger has wheeled the piss out of our car when he comes West. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to Burningham and Biohazard!  I finally figured out the Burning Ham BBQ connection this weekend :D   Yeah, I'm a little slow. 

Please tell me that it was Randy P that set the 1:28 lap time...   That MR2 was flying today.

The Hong Norrth Supra had a fight with the wall on the front straight Saturday during the deluge and lost. The result was a bent left front lower control arm and mounting tabs, and slightly loose rear wheel bearings on the left rear. We replaced the front control arm and took a chance that the bearing would last the weekend since it's difficult to find a rear control arm in good condition after 30 years.

Due to the rain and Parc Ferme we didn't have a chance to check for more damage and it became evident in the dry conditions that something else was wrong as Sunday rolled on. The car was a bit "challenging" to drive in right hand turns, especially through T16 onto the front straight. I apologize to anyone we held up there as we tiptoed through onto the front straight each lap. It turns out that the left rear control arm mount bolts were getting loose as the day wore on. A top 20 finish was more than I expected. 

Thanks to the Chump staff for a good event and a great year. 

Edited by revvhappy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mcoppola said:

What's the story with:

Simon Says? 

Thanks for asking :)  Sat we had a transmission that wouldn't STAY in gear.  We burned 2 hrs swapping that out with our spare trans, which after 30 min on Sunday wouldn't GO in gear.  Similar to Huggy's issue, it sounds.

Packed up and headed home.  Now ordering trans parts.

Congrats to Biohazard, you cheaty-ace-driver-hiring-bastards.  Nice job :)  Seeing Randy drive always reminds me of how much I will never know about wheeling a car around a race track!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mhr650 said:

I expected there to be speed creep this year, and a handful of cars were able to run in the 1:34 range, and even a few 33's but 1 freaking 28... That is scary 

Pro Driver.  That's why no one else was close

5 hours ago, mcoppola said:

What's the story with:

team Huggins?

GWR?

brew Krewe?

Simon Says? 

John Allen? 

Busted Axle? 

Jacky Ickx?

Congrats to Burningham on the win and Biohazard on the Chumpionship.  Thanks to all the track workerrs and Chump Staff who were out  in the miserable (rain all day Saturday, cold and windy Sunday) weather.  Congrats to all the competitors for running a great race in some trying conditions.

Team Jacky Ickx brought both cars and they were running strong until midday Sunday when the GT30 lost an axle seal and vented all the transmission fluid.  Decided to concentrate on the one still running so shifted our driver schedule a little for a strong finish with the 935.

Edited by CWag27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to everyone, especially Biohazard for the chumpionship. 

DDR blew up a diff on Saturday. Then we sheared the bolts on our roll center adjusters. They say they are 12.9, but they aren't as @Huggy helped drill the bolts out and felt how soft the centers were. First the left side went, fixed it, then the right went. Live and learn. I will be contacting the supplier.

but the car was fast. We just couldn't get rythum to put down a really fast stint. Racing the the rain Saturday afternoon in the last stint was crazy.

Off to VIR.

• Like 1

What happened to Foxy Tires? Great question. I'd love to hear Chumpcar explain it again in writing and try not to sound as stupid as they did in person. After towing 14 hours, racing 16, and enjoying a hard fought battle for 3rd overall and 2nd in the chumpionship, we were disqualified entirely for a paperwork error. It's a new build this year and 6 months ago we removed a diff cover and added a front swaybar. Car is 475, sway is 20-25 depending on which idiot you ask. Either way, 500 or less. Apparently we forgot to change the logbook, numerous races ago. Car is legal, and has even been through impound like this before without issue. Our bad, we didn't notice. Neither did Chumpcar. Understood it's our mistake, but its a minor administrative error on a legal car, that no competitor complained about. Purely Dan and Phil's decision. 

Having been doing this for 15 years, I don't know what to say. Never seen anything this foolish with NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc. I had great fun racing with many of you, jacky ickx, 918 porsche, sc300 guys, great time battling all of you. The 935 ickx car deserves the win, they pulled together and charged like pros at the end.

We just can't see how the punishment fits the crime. If it were an undisclosed mod that put us over, was hidden, was a math error resulting in an unfair car, I would understand. But pen and paper? Make Tower stuff packets at the next race, thats a fair punishment. DQ from P2 in the champ race? Go to hell. Straight there. 

Back to actual racing for me. 

PS: if you think randy pobst is 6 seconds a lap faster than some of you top chump/club racing guys you're a fool. 1-2 at most. 9 of the top 10 cars were within a second of each other, that's great racing. The winner being 6 seconds a lap faster isnt a pro driver, its hogwash. You know it, chumpcar knows it, and no one does anything about it. Piss poor series management.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Evanlevine said:

What happened to Foxy Tires? Great question. I'd love to hear Chumpcar explain it again in writing and try not to sound as stupid as they did in person. After towing 14 hours, racing 16, and enjoying a hard fought battle for 3rd overall and 2nd in the chumpionship, we were disqualified entirely for a paperwork error. It's a new build this year and 6 months ago we removed a diff cover and added a front swaybar. Car is 475, sway is 20-25 depending on which idiot you ask. Either way, 500 or less. Apparently we forgot to change the logbook, numerous races ago. Car is legal, and has even been through impound like this before without issue. Our bad, we didn't notice. Neither did Chumpcar. Understood it's our mistake, but its a minor administrative error on a legal car, that no competitor complained about. Purely Dan and Phil's decision. 

Having been doing this for 15 years, I don't know what to say. Never seen anything this foolish with NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc. I had great fun racing with many of you, jacky ickx, 918 porsche, sc300 guys, great time battling all of you. The 935 ickx car deserves the win, they pulled together and charged like pros at the end.

We just can't see how the punishment fits the crime. If it were an undisclosed mod that put us over, was hidden, was a math error resulting in an unfair car, I would understand. But pen and paper? Make Tower stuff packets at the next race, thats a fair punishment. DQ from P2 in the champ race? Go to hell. Straight there. 

Back to actual racing for me. 

PS: if you think randy pobst is 6 seconds a lap faster than some of you top chump/club racing guys you're a fool. 1-2 at most. 9 of the top 10 cars were within a second of each other, that's great racing. The winner being 6 seconds a lap faster isnt a pro driver, its hogwash. You know it, chumpcar knows it, and no one does anything about it. Piss poor series management.

I know after seeing the DQ in the results lots of people wanted to know what happened. 

1998, 1999, 2000 BMW E46 (M52TUB25) = 475

• sway-bar, non-OE: 20 pts each

• differential cover, non-OE: 5 pts

The problem was that your logbook did not show you had changed the front sway bar?

6 minutes ago, red0 said:

I know after seeing the DQ in the results lots of people wanted to know what happened. 

1998, 1999, 2000 BMW E46 (M52TUB25) = 475

• sway-bar, non-OE: 20 pts each

• differential cover, non-OE: 5 pts

The problem was that your logbook did not show you had changed the front sway bar?

Correct. We dont even have the finned cover anymore. Swaybar was 25 pts last year so we removed it to be legal. Car is 495. Forgot to update logbook. Couldn't be more obvious we weren't hiding anything. There's a shiny big swaybar on there that still has the hotchkis sticker on it. Lap penalty? Position? Admin late change fee? Laps docked next race? Sure. We made a dumb error. It had no performance or scoring issue. Full dq just feels so wrong. 

Edited by Guest

Scca has dq'ed for a 1/4 lb underweight  and a valve .001 oversize.  

PS.  I agree with you on your PS.

Edited by DEE DEE

5 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

Scca has dq'ed for a 1/4 lb underweight  and a valve .001 oversize.  

PS.  I agree with you on your PS.

I agree with dq for 1/4 lb. It's trivial, but at least its performance based. 

4 minutes ago, Evanlevine said:

Forgot to update logbook. 

Sorry to hear about the DQ.  So, you went through tech and verbally claimed it, but didn't have it in your log book?  In other words Chumpcar was aware of the sway bar, but the log book wasn't updated?  If that's the case, it seems like a DQ is questionable, but it puts Chumpcar in a bad position where they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If Chumpcar was not aware of the swaybar, it's a pretty clear DQ.  

Forgetting to put something in the logbook and the logbook being the thing scrutinized at impound is a pretty big mistake, though.  Since it was a championship race, I can understand Chumpcar's decision to enforce the rules.

• Like 3