Sign in to follow this  
Snorman

Control arm and heim joint points question

I think your G-body ideas would be fun at Road America.   Not so sure anywhere else.  Physics gets challenging changing directions with close to 3000 lbs.  

The old Grand Prix is my favorite car that runs RA   I want a turn in it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bandit said:

I'll just stick with my weak ass SBC on 87 octane. If it doesn't churn 320rwhp I'll be disappointed. 

Oops. Being honest is a fault of mine..

Anyone that knows American cars knows 300+  hp is zero problem.  Most cars are fuel restricted so they don't go there. I'm guessing more G bodies will be coming soon. One can get technical to make them handle awesome or just throw a big bar on and be competitive. 

Before you throw rocks, look at the 71 GP laptimes. Not bad for 4k.

That Poncho, '71 btw,  was faster than most of the field with a motor that is not happy over 5500.

320? Pffff that is like Blitz running half throttle. :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, red0 said:

What did it say on their dash? 80%??  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, red0 said:

You might be surprised at what that car really puts out.

Meaning less than you think. It's just a truck motor...:) And even with a big tank still fuel restricted. 

15 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

I think your G-body ideas would be fun at Road America.   Not so sure anywhere else.  Physics gets challenging changing directions with close to 3000 lbs.  

The old Grand Prix is my favorite car that runs RA   I want a turn in it.  

It's a RA and Brainerd (Donnybrooke) car. Daytona if I can ever get there. Not gonna even try Autobahn and the like although it may be more competitive than some think.

Love the GP and wish those guys were on the forum. That thing is impressive. 

Edited by Bandit

Since this topic went completely sideways into yet another topic that probably needs to be clarified by Chump because Tech appears at odds with the BCCR...

...is the general consensus that a spherical contained within an aftermarket control arm (A-arm, trailing arm, LCA, whatever) would be included in the points hit for that "component"? That seems to be what most seem to think. 

S. 

IMHO, yes they count as one unit @ 10 pts per side. 

I built my track bar with bolts and holes to not have any questions, but now it looks as tho I could have used  the proper rod ends .

On 11/18/2017 at 4:36 PM, Snorman said:

Since this topic went completely sideways into yet another topic that probably needs to be clarified by Chump because Tech appears at odds with the BCCR...

...is the general consensus that a spherical contained within an aftermarket control arm (A-arm, trailing arm, LCA, whatever) would be included in the points hit for that "component"? That seems to be what most seem to think. 

S. 

That's not how I interpreted it and frankly am amazed that tech is apparently going that way.

Guess I'll ditch my stock control arms and drop $700 on some from Detroit Speed or Ridetech to simplify my geometry corrections...

Will make installing coilovers a snap as well.

All this goodness for 10 points per side.

Btw-That's sarcasm. 

Edit-Just got to thinking.... Most imports have non servicable ball joints. I recall the lowers on my E46 were supposedly this way. (On my Avalanche as well for what it's worth. But yes, one can change just the BJ's. )Perhaps that's where this thought process came from?

Edited by Bandit

The per corner pts includes the BJ or long stud. 

IMHO you are wasting real money  for the fancy stuff with the 180 TW rule. 

Edited by flyinglizard

1 hour ago, flyinglizard said:

The per corner pts includes the BJ or long stud. 

IMHO you are wasting real money  for the fancy stuff with the 180 TW rule. 

Howe joints are 10 points a pop. Steel bushings are 10 points. 20 per side already. Just doing lowers.

Unless I am misreading something, I can put Detriot Speed lowers on with the above parts for 10 points while improving my geometry with no work. 

Doesn't seem right.

And frankly, even if it is so, I've got factory stamped pieces and dont plan to change them as thats what I feel the rule is. 10 pts per ball joint and 10 points per corner for the bushings.

Edit- A MCSS beating Miata's on an autocross tells me those parts work just as well with 180tw tires.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 9:11 AM, pintodave said:

What did it say on their dash? 80%??  :lol:

I'll put 50% on the dash.

Just to inflame the forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Less deflection and more accurate alignment and steering control is always a good thing no matter what tire you're running. In our case, it's a matter of running a part that already has a spherical in it and not really having the ability to retrofit it with a Delrin or urethane bushing. So we think it's appropriate to take the points for the entire component. 

We've put a substantial effort into our plan for this car with an eye on cost-benefit and points. So we prefer not to be the victims of a subjective interpretation of the rules when we tech it in 2018. 

S. 

8 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Less deflection and more accurate alignment and steering control is always a good thing no matter what tire you're running. In our case, it's a matter of running a part that already has a spherical in it and not really having the ability to retrofit it with a Delrin or urethane bushing. So we think it's appropriate to take the points for the entire component. 

We've put a substantial effort into our plan for this car with an eye on cost-benefit and points. So we prefer not to be the victims of a subjective interpretation of the rules when we tech it in 2018. 

S. 

I should recall, but what are you running?

On the flip side, a family truckster GM family car gets the same pieces as well, right?

Edit-to be clear I'm against subjective because I know a Miata will get the big tank before a 305 Monte SS will. Even though other Monte's had that big tank. Just like the MX5...

Edited by Bandit