2 hours ago, riche30 said:

How can we help you make up your mind?

Other than yourself, who are you voting for?

13 minutes ago, red0 said:

Other than yourself, who are you voting for?

I'm going to politely decline to answer that.  I've got several friends as well as other respected individuals that I thought were deserving of my vote.  I made what I thought was the best decision for ChumpCar.

• Like 1

How can we help you make up your mind?

Who do you most want not to be elected and why?

Edited by enginerd

Just now, enginerd said:

Who do you most want not to be elected and why? *stirs pot*

Good question actually. 

8 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Who do you most want not to be elected and why?

I see what you did there...

I don't think we should be electing anyone that might be interested restructuring classes to benefit themselves or thinks the job is about re-writing the rule book.  I'm also not a fan of voting in anyone that doesn't run Chump with a full time team nor involved in the building and prep of the car they drive.  

• Like 4

thinks the job is about re-writing the rule book

The By-Laws were enough for me...

I've ruled out a couple but still not decided.  My main challenge is figuring out who the top 3-4 candidates are then choosing the best from them. 

3 hours ago, riche30 said:

I see what you did there...

I don't think we should be electing anyone that might be interested restructuring classes to benefit themselves or thinks the job is about re-writing the rule book.  I'm also not a fan of voting in anyone that doesn't run Chump with a full time team nor involved in the building and prep of the car they drive.  

So I'll take that as a 'no' on: 

Troy Trulio

Josh Chmilarski

I agree with you on this matter, you are gaining standing in my decision list.

6 minutes ago, mostmint said:

I've ruled out a couple but still not decided.  My main challenge is figuring out who the top 3-4 candidates are then choosing the best from them. 

I'm in exactly the same place you are.

My particular standpoint is: I really don't want Troy on the board, so I need to give my votes for the top couple non-Troy candidates.

Edited by enginerd

We want enough rule snugging to keep the series as it is. IMHo 

How do you suggest we address the newer soft  tires that require changes during the race ?

How do you suggest addressing the built engines and  high octane fuel? 

More octane can change the car's run time  with more compression making more torque. 

Thanks,MM 

12 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

We want enough rule snugging to keep the series as it is. IMHo 

How do you suggest we address the newer soft  tires that require changes during the race ?

How do you suggest addressing the built engines and  high octane fuel? 

More octane can change the car's run time  with more compression making more torque. 

Thanks,MM 

I don't think these newer softer tires and fuel octane need to be addressed... YET.  They're both something we should be keeping an eye on and if it gets out of control then we need to address it.  However, right now, I don't see a wide spread issue.  

If these issues grow I'd be in favor of a single tire per pit stop rule or extended minimum pit stop times for tire changes.  I'd also support street fuel as the only acceptable fuel, making an exception for oil mixed fuel for the rotaries. 

I'm also a fan of parc femme (impound) races.  That still gives the sense we are endurance racing and helps keep costs down as less teams are inclined to spend big money putting on new brakes and tires overnight between double-7s or double-8s.

2 minutes ago, riche30 said:

I'm also a fan of parc femme (impound) races.  That still gives the sense we are endurance racing and helps keep costs down as less teams are inclined to spend big money putting on new brakes and tires overnight between double-7s or double-8s.

But an 8 hour race is an endurance race.

Are you saying that any double race weekend be run with parc femme?  I don't like this idea.  It's two separate races and should be run as such.  Teams should be able to perform any work that they want in between races on a double race weekend.  What if a team had enough brakes (not new, but used) to run the Saturday race, but needed to change for the Sunday race- could change to another set of experienced pads?  Same with tires. 

If teams want to spend money on new tires and pads for every race- I say let them.  Should have nothing to do with the board and controlling costs. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chip said:

Are you saying that any double race weekend be run with parc femme?  I don't like this idea.  It's two separate races and should be run as such.  Teams should be able to perform any work that they want in between races on a double race weekend.  What if a team had enough brakes (not new, but used) to run the Saturday race, but needed to change for the Sunday race- could change to another set of experienced pads?  Same with tires. 

If teams want to spend money on new tires and pads for every race- I say let them.  Should have nothing to do with the board and controlling costs. 

Us, for example.  Since the AMP race was a bust, I am going to run the used tires and pads at VIR for the first day, and then check them sat night.  If it was a impound race, it would be no choice but to buy a new set of pads and a new set of tires.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, chip said:

3 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Us, for example.  Since the AMP race was a bust, I am going to run the used tires and pads at VIR for the first day, and then check them sat night.  If it was a impound race, it would be no choice but to buy a new set of pads and a new set of tires.

I am in the same boat as you guys. If it is not an impound race, I can use some used pads, and other questionable components to get the last bit of life out of them. Making it a parc ferme race increases costs for me. 

• Like 2

Rich, 

It looks like I will be voting for Paul Kruse, and am still deciding between you, Jeff Christianson, and Tyler for my second vote. 

I don't really understand part of your #6 answer. 

"I'd like to be able to know at the end of a race we've awarded trophies to teams that out-drove us on the track, not beat us in the paddock."

I race with team Premium Dude's and that team has a very diverse goal set. @enginerd likes the build and engineering aspect, he likes beating teams in the paddock by having a better build. Larry likes to beat teams in the pits by using superior strategy. I like to beat teams by out driving them. What is wrong with what Nate likes to do?

Of the 3 candidates I am currently between for my 2nd vote, I like Jeff's answers to 5 & 6 best. 

6. What is the #1 thing you would change if you could?

I believe improvements could be made to clarity, consistency, and enforcement of the rules. I’d like to see this happen without any major change to the current rules. I think we have a good rule set and I feel very strongly that stability in the rules is very important going forward. We don’t want to end up with a huge rule book. 

50 minutes ago, riche30 said:

I don't think these newer softer tires and fuel octane need to be addressed... YET.  They're both something we should be keeping an eye on and if it gets out of control then we need to address it.  However, right now, I don't see a wide spread issue.  

If these issues grow I'd be in favor of a single tire per pit stop rule or extended minimum pit stop times for tire changes.  I'd also support street fuel as the only acceptable fuel, making an exception for oil mixed fuel for the rotaries. 

Pit Stops:

• Five Minute Fuel
  • Ten Minute Tires

... has a nice ring to it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

Pit Stops:

• Five Minute Fuel
  • Ten Minute Tires

... has a nice ring to it.

So if you run over something on track and it cuts your tire, you will now need to have a mandatory 10 minute pit stop to change it????

If things go correctly, we can fuel and change all 4 tires in 5 minutes.  Why should we be penalized an additional 5 minutes to change tires.  In a 24 hour race, I'm sure most teams need to change tires....

Why don't we just raise the TW limit to 300?  That will put a stop to those short life, high grip "180TW" tires.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chip said:

So if you run over something on track and it cuts your tire, you will now need to have a mandatory 10 minute pit stop to change it????

If things go correctly, we can fuel and change all 4 tires in 5 minutes.  Why should we be penalized an additional 5 minutes to change tires.  In a 24 hour race, I'm sure most teams need to change tires....

Don't let things like reality get in the way of a good jingle ;)

If a rule was to be put into place, obviously 1 cut tire vs 4 corded stickies would have to be a situation that would have to be addressed.

I have had situations like 15 hour races where we replaced tires mid-day because we had lots of partially used tires that we wanted to use the life.

The 10  min is a good idea but not easy to enforce.  The driver coming in wont really know what timer to ask for  and we would have to have another set of timers set to 10 min.

1 tire per stop  seems the best so far.   If you need tires , you have to come in multiple times to change . If the track sucks up tires then all of the teams have the same issues.  If one team likes sticky tires and pays for 3 sets per race(And pit crew)  , their penalty is that they have to pit more. 

The Big dollar teams like the Sahleans  with large pit crews is against the spirit of Chump . Changing tires every stop is also against the spirit.

Real 200TW tires will go 14 hrs on most cars/drivers.        The softies wont .  BFG R S version wont, along with a few others. They are faster  but are cheaters in the TW area.  

Keeping this problem insight is part of my  " proactive " idea.   

SCCA used a tire ban list  for a long time.  

Back to our roots .. 

Low Cost  racing.. Classes that we have now are engine size based.  All teams can still spend 500pts. /lots of money. 

For true entry level racing , classes should be pt based.  That way would allow a team to strip a car and race it as is. @ maybe 250pts . Stock engine, cut stock springs ,stock shox etc.  Wallowing crap can of a race car .  But so would be the other 250 pt cars. 

I know that some of you hate the classes , but we have them and CC could not support itself without the lower class cars. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flyinglizard said:

Real 200TW tires will go 14 hrs on most cars/drivers. 

With due respect, that's an unsubstantiable claim highly dependent on many factors.  Chiefly are track surface and temperature.  As a data point, Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario Canada at the heat of mid-summer is well known to cheese-grater tires like nothing else regardless of treadwear numbers.  

I appreciated how Troy put it, balancing stability for the pointy-end and focusing on making the experience better for mid-pack teams.  They're not at odds but a progression of competition and increasing the fun factor.  For that comment alone Troy got my vote. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flyinglizard said:

Back to our roots .. 

Low Cost  racing.. Classes that we have now are engine size based.  All teams can still spend 500pts. /lots of money. 

For true entry level racing , classes should be pt based.  That way would allow a team to strip a car and race it as is. @ maybe 250pts . Stock engine, cut stock springs ,stock shox etc.  Wallowing crap can of a race car .  But so would be the other 250 pt cars. 

I know that some of you hate the classes , but we have them and CC could not support itself without the lower class cars. 

Mike, that is on the table and has been discussed.  I think it's a good suggestion, as do others.  We are evaluating it and want to be careful with any rules changes, although this would be more of a clarification on classes.  

I have yet to vote.  I wouldn't say "undecided", I just need to take the time to do the research.

My "deciders" - who will contain cost and speed creep - wile appealing to the largest possible base of customers.  Within reason (points), allow those that want to swap/engineer/develop their cars, but offer a better race experience for those that just want a place for a reliable (relatively), low cost (relatively) car that can race with others and offer them a bit more recognition for their efforts.  Some folks want to enjoy the racing experience but not have to find several seconds more speed every year to be competitive.  I am all for a stronger emphasis on the class system to offer a fun, competitive experience for people of different commitment levels.  As a relatively "old guy", I see this as the backbone of endurance racing since (at least) the '50's & '60's.  Don't reinvent the wheel or abandon what endurance racing has been - embrace it within the Chumpcar template and prosper by involving more folks and making it a fun experience for those with all different racing "goals".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chip said:

No Chip, what I'm saying is to make it a single race.  Not two races.  Just like was done for the Chumpionships this year.  You want to drive costs down, impounding the cars overnight certainly helps.... except in Huggy's case:

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

It's a double edged sword.  How many teams are going to run two sets of brand new tires at VIR because they can change them with no penalty overnight?  I don't think all races need to be impound, but I'd certainly support seeing more of them.