Mike.g

A car that is compatible with Champcar and IMSA!?

Almost* Full car list: Car List

With the right amount of begging you could technically build a Nissan Altima or MX5 that would pass tech in Champcar and IMSA. (If you could get Champcar to up the Altima year to 2008) Also the cages are bit more aggressive in IMSA and they could cost you some extra points.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be awesome to see a bunch of Chumps, who race in Champcar build a ST car that is Champcar compatible, and maybe sponsored by Champcar since it would be advertising to it's core market... Just sayin :P

Random idea while writing this. A partnership with IMSA for a few races. Where Champcar races on the same weekend as IMSA. Many of the "endurance" races only last 2 hours per class. What if a Champcar event was broken up in the down time of the weekend between IMSA events? Champ goes out for 3hrs, they get a red flag, IMSA goes out. After the IMSA race, Champ goes back out, so on and so on.

image.png.057adce67eda7b4f4807a45804be8490.png

image.png.42a1d8d694135b83e8bd27a2a09fdc81.png

image.png.cd8eaa06aa0fed1dabf8ad562690ff20.png

• Like 1

I like the crossover idea a lot.     But I kinda think the series are too far apart right now.    I would think mostly new stuff is going to show up in IMSA where as Chump/Champ is geared towards the older variations as we all know. 

They could still compete on the same weekends and the entry fees could be reduced for all with splitting the track costs between the two.   

1 hour ago, Evilwheel said:

I like the crossover idea a lot.     But I kinda think the series are too far apart right now.    I would think mostly new stuff is going to show up in IMSA where as Chump/Champ is geared towards the older variations as we all know. 

They could still compete on the same weekends and the entry fees could be reduced for all with splitting the track costs between the two.   

For IMSA not always the case. This 2010 Altima model has been passed around a few teams. And that most of the miata's still look the same from 09 and are in the current Champcar rules.

I'd like to compare lap times with that copper looking miata at the fall Road America race with a IMSA MX5. Time it From the apex of Canada corner to exit of the carousel. You know, because kink vs bend...

image.png.e384f07b13b2f4dc107a2ad0fa633072.png

image.png.03d50517544bc14345a95b75e870d3eb.png

image.png.31b687273340df16fb116adde77e73ed.png

I could see this working -- CC becoming a "retirement home", for lack of a better term, for ST cars which are a little too old. (IIRC: That's what The First Boss wanted the series to be in the first place.) As to running events alongside IMSA: Most IMSA events close at 5 PM, and don't start again until 9AM or so; if the right variances could be acquired, one could start a CC race at *6*PM, and run it overnight until *8*AM, and still be out-of-the-way of the Pros.... ;)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, csadn said:

I could see this working -- CC becoming a "retirement home", for lack of a better term, for ST cars which are a little too old. (IIRC: That's what The First Boss wanted the series to be in the first place.) As to running events alongside IMSA: Most IMSA events close at 5 PM, and don't start again until 9AM or so; if the right variances could be acquired, one could start a CC race at *6*PM, and run it overnight until *8*AM, and still be out-of-the-way of the Pros.... ;)

Man, they screwed us on scheduling with 7:30am practices and races finishing up at 6:30pm...

From what I know of those cars...no, absolutely not.  If we are whining about 5.3 truck engines being allowed, there is no way a car that runs an ECU that costs more than most CC builds should be allowed.

Edited by jmabarone
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jmabarone said:

there is no way a car that runs an ECU that costs more than most CC builds should be allowed.

gasp,   really ?

• Like 1

I love the idea, and we have all day-dreamed previously in the forum about a crossover race, like a street course or something awesome.

But I still think it will be tough to get any love/respect from any "big" series. Doesn't ISC/Nascar own IMSA now? 

4 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

gasp,   really ?

I wouldn't doubt it. It's back to cubic-dollar racing..... :(

Back when the 370z still ran in Conti, it essentially ran without a restrictor plate.  During the race at Daytona, the 370 passed one of the Altimas in the bus stop only to be repassed in NASCAR 4.  Needless to say, the Altimas took a big hit in the rules the following race.  

22 hours ago, pintodave said:

But I still think it will be tough to get any love/respect from any "big" series. Doesn't ISC/Nascar own IMSA now?

Officially, I believe so; not sure how tight the leash is.

There's other org's out there, tho' -- for ex.: Trans-Am is SCCA, but is also closely connected to Sportscar Vintage Racing Assn.; this ties in with TA's desire to be "throwback"-style series (they had Pirelli design radials which handle like bias-plys, for crying out loud).

I'd often thought about the possibilities of CC hooking up with a vintage-racing outfit -- given how old some of CC's cars are.... :)

I've been re-watching the Daytona weekend here, and I started to take notes on ST lap times. So A common ST lap time was 2:05ish. Some of the best lap times from the last CCE race was were about 2:15. What are other shared track events that CCE and Imsa ST classes share where you could compare lap times.

Yeah, I feel that there is something there for creating a lose partnership or shared promotion.

Random idea, Pro-driver lotto: Teams that choose to opt into this, have a pool of pro drivers that want to race in the CCE event during the weekend for 1 stint. A special reward could be given or this, or a discount, etc... Now how can I convince a pro driver to drive our POS at 80%!!!

Sebring, Road America, COTA, Laguna Seca, Mosport, Barber, Mid Ohio, VIR, Lime Rock, NJMP, Watkins Glen,  Homestead, and Road Atlanta.  Those are all tracks Conti has run at that I know Chump has at some point. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Mike.g said:

For IMSA not always the case. This 2010 Altima model has been passed around a few teams. And that most of the miata's still look the same from 09 and are in the current Champcar rules.

I'd like to compare lap times with that copper looking miata at the fall Road America race with a IMSA MX5. Time it From the apex of Canada corner to exit of the carousel. You know, because kink vs bend...

image.png.e384f07b13b2f4dc107a2ad0fa633072.png

image.png.03d50517544bc14345a95b75e870d3eb.png

image.png.31b687273340df16fb116adde77e73ed.png

The Altima in the above picture has a 10K trans in it  a 20k+ motor and the list goes on.  I guess you could spend that much if you wanted to for ChampCar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scottyk said:

The Altima in the above picture has a 10K trans in it  a 20k+ motor and the list goes on.  I guess you could spend that much if you wanted to for ChampCar.

At first when I saw that, I was thinking "20k miles on that engine isn't too bad..." Oh wait... But I do wonder, every time we go to a race you always have several teams with full race semi/trailer setups. And they are doing the same thing I would be doing if I had that kind of cash. I could send many many thousands on a car and be mid to back of the pack, or I could send that same amount in Champcar and have a rocket-ship.

1 hour ago, Mike.g said:

At first when I saw that, I was thinking "20k miles on that engine isn't too bad..." Oh wait... But I do wonder, every time we go to a race you always have several teams with full race semi/trailer setups. And they are doing the same thing I would be doing if I had that kind of cash. I could send many many thousands on a car and be mid to back of the pack, or I could send that same amount in Champcar and have a rocket-ship.

They also spent 60K to have a custom 3rd-4th gear set made.  The car pictured above is no joke, they finished very well this year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scottyk said:

They also spent 60K to have a custom 3rd-4th gear set made.  The car pictured above is no joke, they finished very well this year. 

Insanity! It might be cheaper to summon the ghost of Paul Newman to power that Nissan!

22 minutes ago, Mike.g said:

In 1 hour they have more contact than entire weekend at a Champcar race!?

Look up the 2012 Barber race.  First 45 minutes didn't have a single green flag lap.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:28 AM, Mike.g said:

I've been re-watching the Daytona weekend here, and I started to take notes on ST lap times. So A common ST lap time was 2:05ish. Some of the best lap times from the last CCE race was were about 2:15. What are other shared track events that CCE and Imsa ST classes share where you could compare lap times.

Yeah, I feel that there is something there for creating a lose partnership or shared promotion.

Random idea, Pro-driver lotto: Teams that choose to opt into this, have a pool of pro drivers that want to race in the CCE event during the weekend for 1 stint. A special reward could be given or this, or a discount, etc... Now how can I convince a pro driver to drive our POS at 80%!!!

Not possible.  Pro drivers don't drive at anything less than 87%.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:24 PM, csadn said:

Officially, I believe so; not sure how tight the leash is.

There's other org's out there, tho' -- for ex.: Trans-Am is SCCA, but is also closely connected to Sportscar Vintage Racing Assn.; this ties in with TA's desire to be "throwback"-style series (they had Pirelli design radials which handle like bias-plys, for crying out loud).

Shoulda just went with real bias plys.

Still remember Earnhardt smoking the right rear around Daytona. Awesomesauce.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:05 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

I know of 1 car that has 5k into ecu and ecu telemetry...

I'm all for Holley's and HEI. :)

16 hours ago, Bandit said:

Shoulda just went with real bias plys.

They *did* -- the Pirellis are a recent development....

On 12/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, csadn said:

They *did* -- the Pirellis are a recent development....

Watch the SVRA T/A cars on Blue Streaks.

Or better yet some old vids of the original T/A series. 4 wheel drifts were the normal cornering attitude. A race at Donnybrooke is on the tube as I recall.

Radials ruined racing.

41 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Watch the SVRA T/A cars on Blue Streaks.

Or better yet some old vids of the original T/A series. 4 wheel drifts were the normal cornering attitude. A race at Donnybrooke is on the tube as I recall.

Radials ruined racing.

This is why TARC (and I believe SVRA had some input as well) asked Pirelli "design a radial which works like a bias-ply". The current TA2s are practically re-enacting the late-'60s/early-'70s TA racing....

• Like 1